Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

I should have all the lumber milled that I will need to make the front swinging doors. Once they are installed I will start cutting the batons, and any trim that is needed to button this thing up as tight as possible.

Hope everyone has Blessed Easter and that this ridiculous 'quarantine' is not effecting you too adversely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I should have all the lumber milled that I will need to make the front swinging doors. Once they are installed I will start cutting the batons, and any trim that is needed to button this thing up as tight as possible.

Hope everyone has Blessed Easter and that this ridiculous 'quarantine' is not effecting you too adversely.

Originally Posted By SFENDER:
Shed looks good. Think the rain will blow through those slats in the wall?

I'm sure some will get through now if it rains hard enough, but not once the batons and trim are up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
My progress up through Easter Weekend on the tool shed....

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Video looking great. If you want some feedback...pick up a remote microphone if it’s in the budget and you plan on growing the YouTube channel. Otherwise....awesome. I’m jealous. Are you going to start cutting logs for the cabin this year so they have time to dry before construction begins?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Video looking great. If you want some feedback...pick up a remote microphone if it’s in the budget and you plan on growing the YouTube channel. Otherwise....awesome. I’m jealous. Are you going to start cutting logs for the cabin this year so they have time to dry before construction begins?
View Quote

Most of my construction will be timber frame, with green wood, so I do not have to wait for it to dry completely. I will be starting that shortly.

Thanks for the feedback.... I do plan on growing the YouTube channel and the mics are in the works as well as a better camera.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:32:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#5]
Been a busy week away from the homestead......I was finally able to get the doors hung and everything but the batons and trim completed on the shed.....pics and such will follow.

Attachment Attached File

I also landed a tractor. Found a place in Central Washington that refurbishes Japanese 4x4 diesel tractors and got a great deal on on older Yanmar 36HP tractor. It has a 5 spd gear box with 3 speed shuttle shift plus reverse per gear.....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Life just got a whole lot easier for me on the homestead!! That is when I pick it up later this week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone is interested I also put up a new YouTube video starting the foundation on my cabin last September.......

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just subscribed.  Looking forward to reading the thread.

I’m from SE WA but living in TN (Mil).  I’m currently looking at land to buy as I near retirement.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#8]
Welcome!

We had incredible weather the last 4 days, however, I had to work my part time job......The lumber yard's business has increased a tremendous amount during the 'Quarantine' so I helped them out earlier this week. And of course it's raining cat's and dog's for the next couple of days that I am off.

I will be working in the tools shed today on a brooder for my chicks that are coming in next week. I will post pics a little later on my progress. Here is a video of the doors that I started to put together from footage over last weekend.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, sitting hear earlier this afternoon while the rain was falling I went back through and started from the beginning of the thread and figured I would do a 'State of the Cabin' for all those that have been following from the beginning.....

The main concern that a lot of you had was how well the tent/fly would hold up over the course of the winter with the snow load and wind....Well, even to my surprise, the combination was almost PERFECT. Even when we got almost 20 inches in one night the snow NEVER got thicker than about 4". The roof shed snow like a champ. The way that I chose to insulate it (with cheap 1 1/2" Styrofoam sheets between the fly and tent let just enough heat escape to keep a thin layer of water on the fly. If the snow started to get a little too thick gravity would take over and the roof would 'self clean'. I only had to get up on a ladder two or three times to clean the snow off around the chimney that would sometimes cause a damn that area of the roof.

We had two very windy nights over the winter with winds gusting to about 50mph, or so, and other than the slight whipping of the fly everything held firm until the thaw. Once the ground started thawing my tent stakes (home made wood ones) would tend to pull out of the wet ground and I found myself having to readjust the lines every couple of days due to the mud. I have found some auger type tent stakes that go down about 28" that should take care of that problem.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My rain water catchment, as rudimentary as it was, utilizing 5 gallon buckets at the corners of the fly kept my barrels full all winter. Using the two filter system (a Sawyer inline into one barrel, and then my DIY Berkey system for all my drinking and cooking water) works perfect, although it will be nice to get the 1500 gallon tank in the future. I will most likely be making this cabin a little more permanent and probably next year (or at least after I build my moms place) be adding a permanent roof. In doing so I will be elevating the peak so that the interior of my loft is at least 6' at the peak so that I can stand up and walk around my be a little easier than the 4'5" peak currently allows. Having to crawl around on my 50 year old knees to make the bed is getting old. Also in putting on the permanent metal roof I will be able to add gutters all around and add to the efficiency of my water collections.

I have a small solar system coming in next week, that I picked up to run my chicken brooder when my chicks come in, so I will be continually adding to that solar system so I can to ween myself off the use of my generator more, and more, until I am on complete solar for all my needs in the cabin.

Now I will move outside......

My land is WET! I mean REALLY wet.....When the cattle roads were put in decades ago there was no need for drainage so none was added......All the moisture from around my property drains down the road and right into my cabin area. The French drains I put in around the cabin worked GREAT in protecting my foundation but everywhere else is MUD. Also, having a treeline that blocks most of the sun early in the season prevents it from drying out. So down the road I will need to basically rebuild my road down to my neighbors (He has it much worse and we will be working on this together) adding proper drainage ditches, culverts under both of my driveways and several strategically place drainage ditches through the lower section of my property to the lowest side of my property where there is a natural gully that takes the water of towards the state land past my neighbors......

Well Holy Wall Of Text, I guess that is enough for now......
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Really good to read this update.

I have very slow internet, so have to pick my times to watch the videos (but I will!) and it's great to hear you say you're good and have this update on how everything worked so far.

Very interested in your solar setup for your brooder!  

I love chickens and would like to know how you are doing that.

View Quote

I will be putting together the brooder today and will take pics.......The solar unit should be in tomorrow and I will, hopefully, put it together and be able to test it before the chicks arrive later this week.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#12]
My latest video if anyone is interested.....

My new camera should be in this week and I will be able to take pics of all my projects as well as shoot videos...... A little difficult at the moment with only one workable camera.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking great amigo!

I just subscribed to your YouTube channel……😁
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mic214:
Looking great amigo!

I just subscribed to your YouTube channel……😁
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#15]
What are you packing for critter protection? Looks like a Glock…G29?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mic214:
What are you packing for critter protection? Looks like a Glock…G29?
View Quote

Glock 30S
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Hear are some pics of the cabin interior. I have been slowly working on it all winter, finishing small projects hear and there. I recently scored some overstock corrugated metal and an entire bundle (526) 1x4x6 planed pine boards for less than $300. I will be more than enough material to finish out the inside of my cabin walls with PLENTY left over to possibly do the exterior. I will probably start working on that in the evenings around my other projects....

My living area. Yes I have a TV hanging on my wall but I have never plugged it in. I basically hung it there to keep it from getting damaged in the storage shed.

Attachment Attached File

My kitchen area....

Attachment Attached File

My newly installed portable water heater and water pump that allows me to take a hot shower and wash my dishes without heating water on the stove.

Attachment Attached File

The desk area where I will be keeping my chicks until I can get them out to their coop.

Attachment Attached File

And finally  my loft area.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My latest video if anyone is interested.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwzAh3j7kI

My new camera should be in this week and I will be able to take pics of all my projects as well as shoot videos...... A little difficult at the moment with only one workable camera.
View Quote

I really like the look of those live edge "accent" planks on your shed doors. You are knocking out projects at some pace! I will keep watching, your thread and videos are interesting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#19]
Newest video of me building my chicken brooder.....

And my roommates started arriving today.....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: The chicks should be in tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Your Cabin Is A Chick Magnet
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bosqueboy:
Your Cabin Is A Chick Magnet
View Quote

Oh yeah, I have ALL the Amenities!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Picked up the tractor today in Central Washington.....about 4 hrs from my place!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Got it unloaded and drove it around the property a bit to get the feel for it....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tomorrow I will be putting it to work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:30:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#24]
The chickens are a dual purpose bird, Black Australorps, but mostly for eggs. The female Jumbo Peking Ducks will eventually be mated with a male Muscovy and the birds from that will be meat birds.

Yeah the tractor has already proved it's worth in the first day. brought 4 loads of gravel from the neighbors quarry (200yds away) to fix my driveway entrance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Hear are some pics of the cabin interior. I have been slowly working on it all winter, finishing small projects hear and there. I recently scored some overstock corrugated metal and an entire bundle (526) 1x4x6 planed pine boards for less than $300. I will be more than enough material to finish out the inside of my cabin walls with PLENTY left over to possibly do the exterior. I will probably start working on that in the evenings around my other projects....

My living area. Yes I have a TV hanging on my wall but I have never plugged it in. I basically hung it there to keep it from getting damaged in the storage shed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1041_JPG-1388521.JPG

My kitchen area....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1042_JPG-1388522.JPG

My newly installed portable water heater and water pump that allows me to take a hot shower and wash my dishes without heating water on the stove.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1034_JPG-1388523.JPG

The desk area where I will be keeping my chicks until I can get them out to their coop.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1035_JPG-1388525.JPG

And finally  my loft area.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/IMG_1034_JPG-1388529.JPG
View Quote
Make sure you can get out of those windows in your loft. You need two exits when burning a wood stove.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]
The last couple of days have been absolutely perfect so I finally got over the the property line and dropped one of the larger standing dead pine that I had my eye on and drug it over to the mill. I milled one of the smaller pines I had loaded on the mill into 3/4 x 2" batons that will eventually go on the tool shed.

The dead pine bottom was 23" at the base and very solid. It tested my tractor trying to get it out of the low area it was in as we had about 4" rain on Wednesday and everything was still very wet over there.  I did get it to the mill and I was able to get 18 full dimensional 2x4x12 out of the lower section which will be more than enough to build my mobile 'chickshaw' in the next week or so....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I videoed the entire process (or at least I thought I did ) but apparently I turned the record OFF  instead of ON when I set it up.....The log was gorgeous......Looked almost like black walnut.....Granted it was old, dead pine but it was cool looking as I was milling it.

In the background you may notice I consolidated a bunch of the brush piles down further from the mill in an open area and will be burning them shortly. I hope to stop by the Local forest service office today to get the permit. Eventually I will get a wood chipper for the tractor and utilize the wood chips on the homestead but for now I will just be burning them as the spring weather permits.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have found that any time that I cut pine on the mill the blade will wander a bit as the pine has softer spots as well as harder spots so it is just about impossible to get perfectly milled pine lumber off the mill. If you look at the pics you can just start to see how the pine boards have a slight wave going along the edges. I cut them full dimension and will run them across my table saw to get straight edges (as straight as possible) before I start on the coop.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#27]
How was that rain on Wednesday?
Sure was a hell of a soaker for us.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:
How was that rain on Wednesday? 
Sure was a hell of a soaker for us. 
View Quote

It was ridiculous! It had just dried out enough around the cabin to get some 'real' work done and then it cut loose..... The ground is still wet around my cabin, four days later.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Man, you could build and sell furniture with some of those scraps. Have you seen those epoxy wood combo tables? They look cool and merge the wood and modern look. The white epoxy and wood look great.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SFENDER:
Man, you could build and sell furniture with some of those scraps. Have you seen those epoxy wood combo tables? They look cool and merge the wood and modern look. The white epoxy and wood look great.
View Quote

Bullet Table would be cool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#31]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#32]
The latest video of my work over the weekend......I dropped a standing dead pine and then got it to the mill and turned it in to the 2x4's I need for the mobile chicken coop I will be building in the next week or so. I also cleaned up around the shed and the mill a bit and consolidated a bunch of the brush piles.

It's gonna be raining for most of the week so I will most likely start working inside the cabin a bit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#33]
It has been a very wet week on the farm.....The only sunny day this week I had to work. In between rain on Thursday I threw together this  mobile coop to transition my ducks and goose to the outside to give my chicks a little break as the ducks and goose have quadrupled in size compared to the chick.

I used some of the 1x4x6's I picked up at work. Everything else I had here.

It is 6'x6'x2' and will house the ducks and goose until I get my portable electric net and charger set up and the other mobile coop built. I also plan on using it when I get meat birds and other times when I need a separate coop for a broody hen and/or new chicks.......

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It is a fairly simple build that enabled me to keep the weight down so I can pull it to fresh grass every day (when it dries out). Once I get the electric net up I will have no concerns over security. However, right now I have it setup directly behind my cabin and under my loft windows so if anything hassles them at night I will hear it and be able to act accordingly.....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My chicks are still inside the cabin, for at least another week and then they will be moved outside as well when I get the 'Chickshaw' built. I have all of the hardware and just lack the hardware cloth and roof material. I will start it the next nice (non rainy) day that I have.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I started building my 'Chickshaw' mobile coop on Sunday between some rain storms. I am about halfway finished. We have been inundated with rain the last couple of days and they are calling on it to continue off and on most of the week.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Almost finished with the 'ChickShaw'. I should be able to get the rest of it completed this weekend. I am also expecting my portable electric chicken netting in as well. My solar charger already arrived. By next Wednesday I should have everything I need to get the coop completed and set up inside the secure netting.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I still have to build the roof supports, the door/ramp, put the side mesh on, and then get the handles set to the right height. I have used this coop exclusively in the past and it has given my birds great security in conjunction with the electric netting. I am also working on a portable net to go over the top as well as I have a lot more aerial predators in my area compared to when I was in Arkansas.I love the portability of this type of coop as I can free range my chickens in smaller plots and move them every couple of days so they do not completely wear out the turf.

The rotational grazing works great when you are able to move your other animals (cows, pigs, goats or sheep) and then move the chickens in behind them as the chickens will tear through all the manure left by the others and spread it around. They also eat all the fly larvae before it hatches and thus can drastically reduce the flies around the animals.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:59:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#36]
I just found this thread.

We are neighbors judging from the rain/ground/trees/area. I’m laughing at your vids taking layers off-putting them back on-taking them off.....rinse repeat. That’s exactly how it is all day lately. I’ve got jackets and vests and hats scattered everywhere.

My wife and I didn’t start at the beginning like you have but now in our 60’s took on a run-down, abused, neglected formerly off grid property.

Looking forward to the coming week-warming up-drying out and more of your posts!  

ETA: you’ve motivated me to get out and finish my tool shed (in the rain) and start on the chicken house. If you think you would like to sell some of your rough milled lumber we would be more than interested in some.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
I just found this thread.

We are neighbors judging from the rain/ground/trees/area. I’m laughing at your vids taking layers off-putting them back on-taking them off.....rinse repeat. That’s exactly how it is all day lately. I’ve got jackets and vests and hats scattered everywhere.

My wife and I didn’t start at the beginning like you have but now in our 60’s took on a run-down, abused, neglected formerly off grid property.

Looking forward to the coming week-warming up-drying out and more of your posts!  

ETA: you’ve motivated me to get out and finish my tool shed (in the rain) and start on the chicken house. If you think you would like to sell some of your rough milled lumber we would be more than interested in some.
View Quote

WELCOME!

I'm outside Saint Maries a little bit.

No kidding about the weather lately.....I just want a good week or so of sun so that my lowers areas will dry out......My property has very poor drainage and my cabin area has standing water all around it still.....My tool shed area is great though, which is where most of the future building will be taking place.

PM me and we can discuss some lumber, although I am getting ready to start milling the timbers for my mom's house so that will take up most of the summer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#39]

1-Where'd you get your wheels cuz they're cool?

2-How do the chickers get to the ground?  

View Quote

They are 20" cart wheels I ordered from Amazon years ago......Here!

There will be a 2'x2' plywood door/ramp in the from large opening on the front of the coop that will have cross slats for them to get traction.

Here is the link to the coop plans that I used the first time I built this coop about 5 years ago. There are tons of pics of it and the plans to build it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#40]
The coop is finished, except for the four milk crate nesting boxes and a few hasps to secure the front of the roof.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I received the electric chicken netting and my solar charger and will put the chickshaw within it. I also decided to get some bird netting and a couple telescoping tent posts to provide some aerial protection once the flock is ready to move outside. With this setup I can 'free range' my birds and be able to move them to fresh grass every couple of days. This system has always worked well for me in the past.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Latest video of the Chickshaw build......

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#42]

As a landscaper who does NOT live in a fire-prone area, this is REALLY interesting.  

I never thought of evergreens as being inherently more likely to burn, but I can see that, in dryer climates, the foliage would not have a lot of water as compared to deciduous plants, and in winter there is a lot "more" of an evergreen than a plant that has dropped its leaves.

You know, you can live your whole life and you can learn a lot, but you never learn it all, even about one subject.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Talyn:

Considering the density of the forest in those pics, and that wildfires are a clear and present danger in the Intermountain West I'd take a look at clearing things off more using the Defendable Space recommendations in these docs, references, etc.

Defensible Space - FEMA

Wildfire Defensible Space Checklists

Defensible Space - What is a defensible space?

Defensible space is the area between a house and an oncoming wildfire where the vegetation has been modified to reduce the wildfire threat and to provide an opportunity for firefighters to effectively defend the house.

The Three R's of Defensible Space
1) Removal: This technique involves the elimination of entire plants, particularly trees and shrubs, from the site. Examples of removal are cutting down a dead tree or cutting out a flammable shrub.

2) Reduction: The removal of plant parts, such as branches or leaves, constitute reduction. Examples of reduction are pruning dead wood from a shrub, removing low tree branches, and mowing dried grass.

3) Replacement: Replacement is substituting less flammable plants for more hazardous vegetation. Removal of a dense stand of flammable shrubs and planting an irrigated, well maintained flower bed is an example of replacement.

FIRE ZONES FOR WOODLAND HOMES

ZONE 1: 5 FEET FROM THE HOUSE

This area, closest to the house, is the most critical for fire protection. Have nothing flammable next to the house, including tall grass, evergreen trees and shrubs, trees that overhang the house or deck, leaves, brush, firewood piles, bark, mulch and other burnables. Clean gutters, roof and deck of flammable debris. This zone does not have to be barren. Maintain a well-kept lawn, or use crushed brick or river stone gravel instead of mulch. Use raised beds, large decorative rocks, stone walkways, patios, or other features to create visual interest while maintaining a fuel break for forest fire safety.

ZONE 2: 10 FEET FROM THE HOUSE

Maintain a well-kept lawn and avoid evergreens that catch fire easily and burn quickly. Occasional trees and shrubs should be at least 10 feet from the house. Space trees with 10-15 feet between tree crowns and prune trees 10-15 feet up from the ground.

A pond or swimming pool can act as both a firebreak and an emergency water supply for firefighters. Freshly tended flower beds, herb or vegetable gardens, rock gardens, stone walls and driveways can also act as firebreaks. Avoid "fire ladders" that allow fire to climb from the ground into tree branches. Do this by pruning trees, spacing tall trees away from medium-sized trees and by using ground covers or small plants under tall trees.

ZONE 3: 30-100 FEET FROM THE HOUSE

Rake or use a leaf blower to remove leaves and twigs at least 30 feet from the house and up to 100 feet on the downhill side. If you live in a pine forest, maintain a safety zone at least 75 feet on all sides of the house. Firewood and other burnables should be stored at least 30 feet from the house to help keep fire from spreading to or from your house. It also provides a space for firefighters to defend your house from fire.
Prune and thin trees so there are no dense stands or tree tops touching. Keep shrubs small, maintained, and free of dead materials. Control brush and weeds annually. Steep areas can be terraced to slow down wildfires. A stone wall can also act as a fire barrier on very steep slopes.

THE HOUSE: BUILD WITH FIRE IN MIND

Build your house on a level location. Houses overhanging steep slopes are very vulnerable to forest fires. Enclose any open space underneath decks with screen to prevent embers from entering. Use fire resistant building material for both the siding and the roof. Avoid wood shake roofs for woodland homes. Make sure firefighters can find and reach your home.

The Firescape - A home in a woodland setting is usually surrounded by forest fire fuel and is in real danger if a wildfire is on the loose.

Firewise - Landscaping can create a line of defense against the threat of wildfire by creating a safety zone or defensible space around your home.
The goal is to break the chain of flammable fuel between your home and the forest. Examine your yard. What can catch fire and carry this fire to the house?

Be Guided By Nature's Patterns - You can landscape for fire protection while maintaining a natural look to your surroundings. Work with the plants native to the site, using the pattern found in nature. Also, consider hardiness zones when choosing new plants. The placement of plants and trees is just as important as the species when planning fire safety.

All Plants Burn!

There are no fire proof plants, but some plants are more fire-retardant than others.

As a landscaper who does NOT live in a fire-prone area, this is REALLY interesting.  

I never thought of evergreens as being inherently more likely to burn, but I can see that, in dryer climates, the foliage would not have a lot of water as compared to deciduous plants, and in winter there is a lot "more" of an evergreen than a plant that has dropped its leaves.

You know, you can live your whole life and you can learn a lot, but you never learn it all, even about one subject.

I’m only on page three but I’ve learned a ton reading this thread- thank you all for contributing.
My wife and I bought a neglected run down off grid cabin and have been literally working our butts off cleaning and clearing spaces around our cabin. There are LAYERS of deadfall in this N. Idaho area in these forests. We’ve pushed back 40 feet and have had continuous burn piles going for the past two months. It is sobering to see freshly cut (even wet) long leaf pines-Jack, Bull, Ponderosa (various names up here) just explode when you put them on the fire.
If you choose to try and live this way it is VERY physical and a million different things can hurt you. Staying  healthy and fit is the only sane way to do this.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#43]
This morning I moved the chicks out to the Chickshaw. I first laid down some cardboard and pine shavings to cover the mesh floor as the 1x2 mesh is still a little too big for them to comfortably walk on. I will keep them confined in here for another week or so and then they should be big enough to let loose inside the electric fence......I will also try to move the ducks and goose into here as well in a couple of days so that they can get use to it as well...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also put together my temporary fodder system this morning. I will be growing/sprouting barley fodder to supplement the birds feed. I can buy barley from a local farm at $8 / 50# bag and then sprout 2# of the barley and turn it into about 7-9# of sprouted barley each day. I just started so the first batch will be ready in 6 days.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Basically, I soak the barley overnight and then strain it. I spread the seeds into the bottom bus tub (which have drain holes drilled in one end). I will then pour enough water over them to keep them moist. Each day I will repeat the process, moving the oldest bus tub up one shelf. After all the shelves are full the water added to the top pan will drain down each pan keeping all the seed moist. At the end of the sixth day the top pan should have about 3-5" of sprouts as well as a nice root bed. This will be given to the birds and the process will be repeated. The total weight of the sprouts is usually 4-5 times the weight of the seeds you start with. Updates will follow as well as a more in depth video of the process.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Are you going to build a pole barn to put the tractor in?
Are you going to get a plow attachment for the tractor?
Will the tractor accept a backhoe attachment?
Does it have a PTO?
You could get a generator and a water pump for it.

So now you have coyote bait (cluck cluck quack quack), have you thought about where you're going to sit and shoot the bastards?
My uncle lives in the sticks and had a duck pond - he keeps the local hawks and owls fed.
He keeps his chickens in a coop and moves them around to other smaller enclosed pens on his property.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#45]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
Are you going to build a pole barn to put the tractor in?
I will eventually build a timber frame barn with lean to for the tractor
Are you going to get a plow attachment for the tractor?
No, I have no need for a plow with the way I will be doing my gardens in the future.  A combination of raised beds and cold frames and greenhouses. My animals will eventually be doing all of my garden bed prep.
Will the tractor accept a backhoe attachment?
Not a bolt to frame one
Does it have a PTO?
Yes it has a four speed/gear PTO (It's a Japanese thing)
You could get a generator and a water pump for it.
I could but I have 10 and 12.5 KW dual fuel generators already

So now you have coyote bait (cluck cluck quack quack), have you thought about where you're going to sit and shoot the bastards?
They moved out for now but the neighbor and I have worked out a schedule for a few night hunts
My uncle lives in the sticks and had a duck pond - he keeps the local hawks and owls fed.
All my birds are in mobile coops at night and I am playing around with some bird netting now for the electric netting
He keeps his chickens in a coop and moves them around to other smaller enclosed pens on his property.
Mine will free range inside the portable electric netting during the day and be in their coop at night, which is always within the electric netting. This work for me very well in Arkansas and I had a ton of owls and red tail hawks on my property and only ever lost 1 chicken and 1 duck because they refused to go in the coop at night.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Just a quick update....

I have been working at the neighbors helping them quite a bit around my increased hours at the lumber yard. (They have been slammed for three months now). But Over the weekend I drove a couple hours up to Trout Creek, MT to see an old friend who came up from Texas. While there I made a pretty big score on some old tools that I have been looking for as well as a couple small machines that should go along way helping me out around the property.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Along with all of these things my friend's friend threw in about 10 various pieces of cast iron cook ware all of which was Wagner Ware.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like you should have built a bigger shed
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like a decent haul!

I'm looking for a splitter, myself.

Hearing any wolves down there?
Do you plan to hunt this fall?

Are you coming to Cola Warrior NW next time?!
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#49]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:
Looks like a decent haul!

I'm looking for a splitter, myself.

Hearing any wolves down there?
Do you plan to hunt this fall?

Are you coming to Cola Warrior NW next time?!
View Quote

Yeah I went up to pick the splitter up today and I got even more stuff!  I got a 14"x 40 wood lathe (brand new 1997 still in box)with tools and stand,  four Jerry cans with a nozzle, an antique oil can, and a very old two foot treadle? style wet stone. I will post pics later......

No wolves, or coyotes for that matter...... Had a young moose cross my drive the other day, Mama was up on the high side of the property so I stayed on the truck.

Yes I plan on being there this time.....if I can get a spot. If not I will probably volunteer to help.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top