Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 7:11:18 AM EDT
They're destroying my stuff.  Whacking them is satisfying but there are just too many!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Those wood and plastic carpenter bee traps work wonders on my front porch with wood columns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been having fun with 22 shot shells in an 8 shot revolver.  Damn it’s fun.  But so far I’m having a 5 shit to 1 bee ratio.   This will get expensive.  Lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Cover everything in steel or aluminum.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Wiffle ball bat is my weapon of choice but I've only dealt with 3-4 at a time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those wood and plastic carpenter bee traps work wonders on my front porch with wood columns.
View Quote

Those things don’t work for me. They’ll get one or two out of hundreds.

I put a bounty on them and the children do a pretty good job at keeping them under control. Most of them get shot with a BB gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]
This thread is relevant to my interest, my house is a log cabin and this spring they are everywhere

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw a FB post about using a brown paper lunch bag. Fill it with plastic store bags and crumple it up to look like a wasp nest, then hang it where the bees are.
Apparently the wasps eat the bees, so they will leave the area.
I'm going to try this because they are destroying my porch railing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a can of starting fluid at the auto parts store & squirt a shot into every  bore hole you find. It kills them.
Don't worry about the bees you see hovering nearby, those are the males guarding the bore holes. It's the females that are doing the boring.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Good ol' carpenter bee season...

68 confirmed kills this year.  Badminton racket and airsoft full auto for those out of reach.  There is no other way unless you want to get a flame thrower

Each year I kill around 80-100.  I keep an excell spreadsheet for each season.  

One year it was about 350 but that was back when I was getting started and was over run by them.

Rinse and repeat annually.  

The traps work fair to poorly.  I have 4 around the house and they might kill 10 at most during the season
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

68 confirmed kills this year.  Badminton racket and airsoft full auto for those out of reach.  There is no other way unless you want to get a flame thrower

One year it was about 350 but that was back when I was getting started and was over run by them.

The traps work fair to poorly.  I have 4 around the house and they might kill 10 at most during the season
View Quote

You're only killing the males by shooting the ones you see hovering around.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Just sprayed Pine-Sol on the wood.

So far it is working.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#12]
my son (5) gets a squirt gun to slow them down. I get a tennis racket, BB gun, or stick.

shooting them on the wing with a red ryder is hard but satisfying.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Badminton racquet for fun.

Chemical warfare for the win.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Bifenthrin.

I have to spread my soffits this time every year
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#15]
delta dust in their holes.  kills them wholesale.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#16]
NEW! UNCENSORED! 2016 BUG-A-SALT BBQ Commercial
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Ordinarily I’d say 22 shot shells.  But those are impossible to find now if you don’t already have them.  I have a few boxes left.  

They are tough to bring down however.  Not many BBs.   And if you wait for them to hover to draw a bead on them , they seem to know it and zoom off fast.  

The most challenging winged game their is.  
Dragonflies tough too.  But those bugs must be armored.  22s don’t phase them much, when they’ve obviously been hit.   Something like a 410 is needed for them.  Also very challenging game.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Get some kind of squeeze bottle like those cheap red and yellow ketchup/mustard bottles fill it like 1/4-1/2 of the way up with Sevin Dust from the gardening section at Lowe's or Home Depot or wherever and puff a shitload of it down into the holes you can see. It gets on them when they enter and they track it in deeper and will kill the rest of the colony.

You want some air space for the dust to really be able to puff so don't fill the bottle up completely.

Give it a few days then fill up the holes with great stuff expanding foam

Then you'll need to find something to spray on the wood to deter them from coming back.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
straight shaft stihl weedeater, they explode!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I use the bee traps, but its important to load it with a dead bee. When they die, the release a scent that other bees smell, and they think its an empty nest that they can take. They climb in, fall in the bottle, and get stuck.

Made them myself when I had an old wood house. Just a wooden box with a hole on the front for them to crawl into, then another at the bottom with a 20oz coke bottle stuck in it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I tried one of these.  I wounded a bee with my Bug-A-Salt rifle (I shot it 4 times and it still wasn't dead) and loaded it into the bee trap.  This was roughly 3 weeks ago.  The trap hasn't caught a single bee.  I consider the bee trap to be a failure.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use the bee traps, but its important to load it with a dead bee. When they die, the release a scent that other bees smell, and they think its an empty nest that they can take. They climb in, fall in the bottle, and get stuck.

Made them myself when I had an old wood house. Just a wooden box with a hole on the front for them to crawl into, then another at the bottom with a 20oz coke bottle stuck in it.
View Quote

I've heard that works, but I've had mixed results. I built my own, plus bought one. Each trap caught exactly 2 bees, after catching just about every wasp in the county.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interest, my house is a log cabin and this spring they are everywhere

View Quote

Bair used to make a log stain that we used on our log house. I can’t remember the name Cetal oil is what we used on the cedar.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
We just sprayed the area with peppermint oil. Took a few weeks but they all disappeared.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I tried one of these.  I wounded a bee with my Bug-A-Salt rifle (I shot it 4 times and it still wasn't dead) and loaded it into the bee trap.  This was roughly 3 weeks ago.  The trap hasn't caught a single bee.  I consider the bee trap to be a failure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, so roughly 48 hours after I posted, I checked my trap again and found this.  I take back everything bad I said about them.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#28]
In the past I've used Cyzmic or Demand CS.  This year I tried LambdaStar UltraCap and had 15 dead bees the next day.  I'm also trying the paper bag nest trick.  I have a hole in my facia from a damn pileated woodpecker.  I would ask what round for woodpecker but that would be illegal and get me in trouble if caught.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is some meticulous record keeping.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is what I've tried so far:

-Carpenter bee killer sprayed in the holes: works pretty well
-Bug a salt: Fun but most of them don't even notice it.  Great for flies though.
-Propane weed burner:  They are too fast for this, also risk of burning everything down
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Another cheap and easy to get product is brake cleaner. A shot of that in their holes kills them quick.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had good luck with the hanging traps. Also rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle fucks them up bad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bifenthrin.

I have to spread my soffits this time every year
View Quote

This!  Shit is a miracle worker! Get a quart and you are an Orkin Man for 10 years.

I mix 2 ounces per gallon and spray all the soffits and exposed wood.

Takes care of carpenter bees, wasps, and spiders around the whole house.

Same active ingredient as Ortho Home Defense Max just much cheaper and a higher concentration.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#34]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Carpenter bees are bad enough but we also have a shit ton of woodpeckers.

1) Bee goes in the hole
2) Woodpecker decides to chase the bee
3) Gigantic crater left after woodpecker opens the 1/2" bee hole to around 2 1/2" in diameter
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#36]
block of wood on a bottle with some holes drilled  in wood.
burrow into wood, get in bottle, can't get out
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I saw a FB post about using a brown paper lunch bag. Fill it with plastic store bags and crumple it up to look like a wasp nest, then hang it where the bees are.
Apparently the wasps eat the bees, so they will leave the area.
I'm going to try this because they are destroying my porch railing.
View Quote

….

That explains why one of my neighbors have a weird grocery store bag hanging over the porch.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Electric Badminton racquet from Harbor Freight.
Anything more fun has to be illegal.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
They're the only pollinators I see regularly, so I don't bother them.  I actually think they're pretty cool.  I have heard of people hanging/placing scrap pieces of 4x4s around their property to keep them from burrowing in unwanted places.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top