Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2020 4:34:40 PM EDT
Any recommendations on best value currently on the market for binoculars? I’m not looking to spend top dollar for high end binoculars but also don’t want cheap junk either. They will primarily be carried while out on my ATV or RZR so weight isn’t too important.

Probably looking for something in the 10-12x range and would also like a rubber coating. Don’t need image stabilization.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex Diamondbacks
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vortex Diamondbacks
View Quote

Thanks. I’ll have to research those a little more. From a quick internet search it appears they offer everything I need
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to help. I did a few weeks of research when I was looking to outfit the same way, it always came back to the Vortex Diamondbacks in whatever magnification you needed. For the price, it's hard to beat them.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushnell Forge.  10x can be had for less than $400 and 15x for about $650.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Vortex Diamondbacks
View Quote

FPNI.  I have a set for hunting and love them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
They say 7 or 8 power (I forget which) is best. Harder to hold a steady picture at higher power.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I read Redfield is very good for the money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything not made in China.

Just kidding.  

(not really)
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on what you consider value.  I stopped in Cabelas the other day and was comparing binoculars in the $200 to $300 range. I think for the money, the Cabelas Intensity HD were by far the best. I compared them to Leupold, Vortex and Nikon. The guy working the counter said that Vortex made Cabelas binoculars.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Check eBay for Alpen Apex binoculars.

They were a great American owned company that folded up a couple of years ago but you can still find some of their gear on eBay and the price is great for the quality.

Stay away from their Shasta Ridge line or anything besides Apex... Apex was their top of the line. I think I paid like $65 for my 8x32s that I use for hunting (original retail was around $300-$400). They replaced my 10x32s only because I wanted a steadier image and I also have a couple of their scopes that I bought before they went out of business.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Steiner. Got their Amazon run awhile back for 82 and they're awesome.
They have several models that are relatively affordable, and all are made in Germany. (anyone know if they use German glass?)
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I have several Binos Tasco, Bushnell, Adventure line,  Pentax, Vortex and Leupold and all work great.

Tasco, bushnell and Adventure line I picked up at pawn shops to leave in my deer stands year round so I don't have to carry a pair with me all the time.  They work, but are not very clear after say 75 yards, but for me it's enough to tell if it is a shooter buck or not.

I have a small set of Pentax that I have had for 20 years and they are super clear and not too expensive.

My Vortex and Leupold are 10X and also are very clear, but a little big for hunting.  These larger models would be great since you are putting them on an ATV.  Bought both of my larger pair during Christmas events at Cabelas.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I would agree with the Vortex Diamondback comments. Best warranty and since there’s no electronics, unlikely they’ll break.

That said I have two Nikon Monarchs bc I like them a lot.  A wealthy hunting buddy who has multiple Swarovski binos and scopes commented how nice he thought they were.  Just two peoples opinions though, take that for what it’s worth.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always been very partial to Steiner.  Their Military-Marine series have been excellent and have served me well over the years.  The larger 10x50 are good for vehicles/boats and still priced reasonably, but I prefer the smaller 8x30 version as they are still excellent performers at a great value IMHO; they're much more easier to carry if on foot.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I looked through comparably priced ($250-$350) Steiners, Bushnells, and Nikons.

I thought the Nikon Monarch was the best.  I bought the 8x42 Monarch.  Very happy with it.

I have not had the chance to look through Vortex.  I will say that it's imperative that you look through any binoculars you have interest in, preferably where you can do A-B tests.  Look at shadowy areas, bright areas, and distant highly detailed areas, like the moon.  Consider buying from the store that invested in the products that allowed you to demo them.

Keep in mind that the higher the power, the bigger the objective needs to be for the same exit pupil size.  The larger the objective, the harder it is to control lens quality.  An 8x42 will have a larger exit pupil than a 10x42.  Exit pupil is important, especially as eyes age.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the info. I’ve used the best optics the military has and nothing I’ll buy will compare to that. I’m not trying to buy the best. Just the best value. Some good recommendations posted and I’ll check each one out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Vortex, any of them are good. I have a pair of Vanquish, 8x26 i think, and the strap holder broke, it was my doing by dropping them. no damage to glass or anything to affect the use other than the strap. I contacted Vortex, they told me to send them back, on their dime, and they would send me a new pair. I was getting ready to go on a trip where i was taking them, so I never sent them back. I just used some JB Weld and fixed it myself. but it was still good to know they had my back for my mistake. I have heard other stories locally about Vortex customer service and they have all had the same experience.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]
second vote for Nikon.  can get the monarch's (10x42) for $200 usually with a rebate... (which is almost always available)

Great glass and personally i like the eye-cups and focus roller better than the vortex sets.  I vote go to a shop and try them out before purchase, personal preference can matter on eye relief etc
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
When one determines one's true need, the solution is soon discovered.

Please determine what you actually need, as opposed to what you would like.  In most cases, it is the application to which one wants to apply the device that determines many parameters.  This is first and foremost.  We all want the very best, but few of us can afford it.

You will probably find that something like a good quality 7x35 binoc will be of most use, and not bust your budget.  

There is something to the advice to "Buy Once, Cry Once".  That said, such good, general advice must be tempered by the User correctly determining their requirements.

Determine what you actually need, and then save up for the best item, which meets your considered needs, that you can afford.  Buy from an established optics-maker, and which Mfr has a longstanding and respected warranty.  NEVER depend on a vendor's warranty.

There are some people who can provide good binoc reviews.  Many of them are longstanding "birders", whose choices may, or may not, coincide with more "tactical" users.

Give some thought to lens caps, particularly Objective (eye) covers, which "fall-away" from the binocs once they are raised, but drop-down automatically when the binocs are released, and sitting on one's chest.  Raindrops on the eye lenses are far more disruptive than same on the objective lenses.

Also give some thought to the case for the item.  This is something that might be best user-supplied, but it takes some finagling to get it right.  Your typical birder will not have a need for a PALS-compatible case, nor a very stout one.

Optics have undergone a revolution in the past, what with computer-aided lens design, and especially better lens coating.  My ancient Optolyth binocs, once state-of -the-art, are still pretty decent, but surpassed by more modern, top-end optics.

There is really no substitute for high-quality glass, proper construction, and a FACTORY warranty.  It all starts there, and always has.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have some Orion UltraView 10x50 binoculars.  A Little over $100.  I love them.  HD clarity.  The optical clarity is as good as my Steiners.  Are they as rugged?  No.  But, for the $$ I think they are amazing for everyday use.  Even hunting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck China.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I know it’s been awhile since I started this thread. I didn’t get a set at the time but have been planning to. Midway had a fantastic sale on Vortex Diamondback 10x42s so I ordered a set.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420121029?pid=927718
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know it's been awhile since I started this thread. I didn't get a set at the time but have been planning to. Midway had a fantastic sale on Vortex Diamondback 10x42s so I ordered a set.

View Quote
That is a hell of a deal!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a pair of Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42s last year for hunting. They are surprisingly clear and gather light well when considering their price next to some of the more premium versions, if you’re just looking for a general use pair of Binos I think they would be great.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got the Vortex Razor UHD 12X50 the clarity and range from these things is amazing!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#27]
8X  vs. 10X  for general use..

will the 'steadiness' issues be that disruptive?    I am a 7x35/50  kinda guy thus far, fyi.   so excuse simple question.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I still like Steiners.  I guess I got used to them because they were what got issued to us.  

But, if anything their price seems to be going down or at least not getting inflated.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#29]

This...Viper HD's usually run over $500.  Even with a prodeal my price is almost $400.  I looked through them the other day compared to Leupold Bx4 Pro Guide HD, Cabelas Intensity (made by vortex) and the Diamondback HD.  No contest the Viper HD was brighter with better clarity.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I did a bit o' research myself just now....

I think the 8X is better suited for me, so here ae my next questions:

1) Diamondback vs Viper ?
2) Best place to get the 8X versions at the lowest price....

ty,

TTM1
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
8X  vs. 10X  for general use..

will the 'steadiness' issues be that disruptive?    I am a 7x35/50  kinda guy thus far, fyi.   so excuse simple question.

View Quote
In my experience, the 10X will require the user to make a point of adopting a solid stance and arm position to make best use of the binocs; The 8x less so.

If you have hands that naturally tremble a bit, then select the 8X, and practice adopting stance/arm position that works.

Many 10X users might also find it necessary to brace the optics and/or themselves in order to eliminate optics movement issues.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#32]

This. I just bought a pair and am quite pleased.

Nvm, I see you've made your choice. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Nikon Monarchs punch well above their weight range too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Vortex Diamondbacks
View Quote

I bought a set last year, they're outstanding for the price.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I ordered my wife a set of these Leupold binos for Christmas. She likes to birdwatch and wanted some better glass. Looks like they're still on sale.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-bx-1-yosemite-10x30mm-porro-binoculars.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Look up reviews on birdwatching websites. They provide a lot of insights into binocs optical clarity.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In my experience, the 10X will require the user to make a point of adopting a solid stance and arm position to make best use of the binocs; The 8x less so.

If you have hands that naturally tremble a bit, then select the 8X, and practice adopting stance/arm position that works.

Many 10X users might it necessary to brace the optics and/or themselves in order to eliminate optics movement issues.
View Quote

I have familial tremors no issue with 10x42's haven't noticed having to brace more either maybe I do and just don't know any better

I can't imagine using 8X's
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got the ones I ordered (USPS delays). I like them. I only used them near sundown but will play with them some more tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Finally got the ones I ordered (USPS delays). I like them. I only used them near sundown but will play with them some more tomorrow
View Quote

What did you order?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What did you order?
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top