Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 10:39:28 PM EDT
I have a couple UV-5Rs but haven't really done much with them.  I'm looking for something to keep around and listen to news/updates if there isn't internet/power.

Any suggestions?

I am decently familiar with radios/sigint concepts from military experience but haven't gotten my ham license yet.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Uniden "Homepatrol" series scanners. Expensive, but they receive anything that isn't encrypted and all you need to do for initial programming is to enter your zip code. After that it's just a matter of turning off channels you don't want to hear, and maybe a little more fine tuning of the channel list.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on where you live, you can listen to your local police/Em's as well as listen to broadcast fm stations on your baofeng.
Mine scans the local police, and ham repeaters.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
This is 1 (one) example of a thousand that would work for listening to what your Bao can hear. The Reas o link this one is due to the fact it comes with adapters to utilize your old outside Dish Network connection and it's Coax cable you probably already have run from out to inside. I did this year's ago (before ham) with this same antenna, worked great for me. I still utilize this antenna, now in my attic, for my primary (in home) scanner (Analog VHF Fire/EMS Dispatch & Ham Radio Repeaters)
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uniden "Homepatrol" series scanners. Expensive, but they receive anything that isn't encrypted and all you need to do for initial programming is to enter your zip code. After that it's just a matter of turning off channels you don't want to hear, and maybe a little more fine tuning of the channel list.
View Quote

+1
I have a Home patrol II and it's a great radio. It can be used as a desk model or with the rechargeable battery pack can be used as a mobile. Worth the investment.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, you said best. Right now that's going to be a Uniden SDS200 (SDS100 if handheld.) They're $600-700.

The reality is depending on where you are and what you want to listen to, you could be as well served by a sub-$100 scanner or need one as advanced as the SDS.

For antennas, there's a number of different scanner-specific antennas but a discone mounted as high as possible will work for pretty much anything. It has no gain, but since scanning is generally pretty broadband (widely separated frequencies) you usually end up with low gain antennas anyway, and honestly height makes a bigger difference than gain on the frequencies used. The Tram 1410 is a $42 discone and will work very well. The 1411 is $50 an somewhat bigger and uses an unusual design to add some lower band (CB and the seldom-used VHF low band) coverage.

I don't disagree with the Home Patrol suggestion above, if you know it will work in your area.

radioreference.com is the ARFCOM of the scanner world. I strongly suggest you look up your area and see what systems are in use before buying.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What frequencies are you finding NEWS on ?
Used to be  dozens of foreign 'english language ' broadcasts' .... now all I ever hear  are  a few religious telemarketers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What frequencies are you finding NEWS on ?
Used to be  dozens of foreign 'english language ' broadcasts' .... now all I ever hear  are  a few religious telemarketers.
View Quote

Sounds like you mean on HF rather than scanners.

https://shortwaveschedule.com/index.php?now

There's very little left, pretty much just VOA and a China.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top