Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2022 2:23:39 PM EDT
I want to get a few lithium batteries to keep some lights on around the house in the chance of grid down.

Probably looking for minimum 100ah. I will probably be getting some 12v lights to put up in the house.  And I want enough power to charge flashlights and a few other essential electronics and possibly fans during the summer time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
In for information. I had 8 - 12V AGM batteries, chargers and inverters. Batteries died and I want to cobble a basic system to run two deep freezers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to be able to run a Yeasu 991A and Power Meter for a good 8+ hours on 100w HF, lots of transmit.   Ideally, I love it to last all weekend.

Never been good at figuring out Amp hours and all that for batts and chargers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.currentconnected.com/product/sk48v100/

This is the current apex of cost/quality/serviceability
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Not exactly what I had in mind for cheap
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you looking for something more like this?
ROCKPALS 300W Portable Power Station, 280wh (78000mAh) Solar Generator with 110V Pure Sine Wave AC Outlet, USB-C PD Input/Output, QC 3.0, CPAP Backup Lithium Battery for Outdoor Camping Emergency

https://a.co/d/b7xYVeQ
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want to get a few lithium batteries to keep some lights on around the house in the chance of grid down.

Probably looking for minimum 100ah. I will probably be getting some 12v lights to put up in the house.  And I want enough power to charge flashlights and a few other essential electronics and possibly fans during the summer time.
View Quote

Do you have LiON-powered hand tools or yard equipment? Most of the major brands make inverters where you can just plug those batteries into them and get 110 VAC. Here's the Lowes Kobalt version, Ryobi and Dewalt have them too at minimum.

Lowes Kobalt battery to 110 VAC inverter
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That does seem like a really good deal. Usually a 12V 100AH Li-ion batt is around $800-1000 so a 48V 100AH at $1800 seems like a steal. I'm wondering if the same deal can be had on 24V batts. I've been dragging my feet on getting a battery system and I have some nice 2,000 watt Xantrex pure sine inverters that are 24V.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Ampere Time 24V 100AH batteries are $820 on amazon right now.

I have this battery but it's been lightly loaded so I can't really say much more than it seems OK.

I have a 12V 170AH Renogy LiFePO4 that's nearing three years of service with about 40% DoD daily
and showing no signs of slowing down. While Renogy is kind of a lower-end solar brand I've been
very happy with the equipment I've had from them, not just this battery but the charge controllers as well.

The Renogy replaced 100AH AGM batteries -- I'd killed three in 3 years, so it's already nearly paid for
itself in replacement costs alone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is this better?

https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-48v-100ah/
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Will Prowse on youtube has some good videos evaluating the cheaper lithium batteries.

I picked up a couple SOKs based on his recommendation.

Here is website: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/lithium-batteries.html
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a build thread going on this if anyone is interested. Ran the system for a week and am in the integration portion now for the case:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/703306_Pointblank82-s-DIY-Portable-and-Rugged-Solar-Generator-Build-Thread.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for info.  I want to install two batteries, a DC to DC charger, and an inverter in the toolbox of my pickup truck for boondocking/EM power.  Would be nice to have 120 power wherever I am and if we park somewhere w/ a travel trailer it would be nice to have power to run the trailer.

The SOK batteries w/ built in heater look nice but I am leery of the chinesium.  Can't decide on a charger or inverter either, too many choices
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tag for info.  I want to install two batteries, a DC to DC charger, and an inverter in the toolbox of my pickup truck for boondocking/EM power.  Would be nice to have 120 power wherever I am and if we park somewhere w/ a travel trailer it would be nice to have power to run the trailer.

The SOK batteries w/ built in heater look nice but I am leery of the chinesium.  Can't decide on a charger or inverter either, too many choices
View Quote

Battleborn is a good option too. They cost about 40% more than SOK though.

I'm in the process of recalibration of the bms on my SOK batteries to show true capacity, something I think is bullshit for a $600 battery. Basically have to run two complete charge discharge cycles for each battery with a dedicated DC powered device. It's taking a long time with my little 4amp ARB fridge. This is something that should have been done at the factory in my opinion.

Their technical support is China based, but at least understands english.

If I was gonna do it again, I'd go BB.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Battleborn is a good option too. They cost about 40% more than SOK though.

I'm in the process of recalibration of the bms on my SOK batteries to show true capacity, something I think is bullshit for a $600 battery. Basically have to run two complete charge discharge cycles for each battery with a dedicated DC powered device. It's taking a long time with my little 4amp ARB fridge. This is something that should have been done at the factory in my opinion.

Their technical support is China based, but at least understands english.

If I was gonna do it again, I'd go BB.
View Quote

Thank you for the Battleborn recommendation.  I've just started looking, but as a matter of principle try to avoid products made in China (SOK).
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Bb may be assembled in US but I bet they get their cells from China.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I installed four 100ah Battleborn batteries in my RV with solar and am very pleased with those batteries. Highly recommend. They are not cheap but have several times a year deals going. As far as I know, they are made in Nevada.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
How bad are these batteries for someone who only has unheated  garage or shop space for batteries? I have a spare job box / gang box, I could insulate and put a small heater/ incandescent lamp, etc in. I want to get a solar system started. I started a thread Here.

Just keeping food frozen / cold, a few LED lights and charge things, without running my inverter generators would be awesome. Can you guys glance at my thread and give advice, please? Thanks for the insight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top