Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 5:27:01 PM EDT
Hi all, after an encounter with a FAKE Leupold VX-2 off eBay, I am left looking for options again for my Savage 99 in 308. I like the idea of the compact scope style, but unfortunately since they no longer make the VX-2 I can't trust that any listed on eBay are actually real.... so I am looking for something I can buy new. 2-7x seems to be the ideal footprint size.

Budget is $500 or less, most shots will be less than 300 yds for Elk, or Deer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody is making straight 2 or 4x anymore?   I have the VX2 on my levergun and it is nice.   Would one of the LPVO just sit to high for you?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody is making straight 2 or 4x anymore?   I have the VX2 on my levergun and it is nice.   Would one of the LPVO just sit to high for you?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/9070BF9B-767E-432F-AEC2-7C6B44C62937_jpe-1911222.JPG
View Quote

Damn fine looking rifle.

I think they do, I am more looking at a variable 2-7x that's where I've had luck before. I see that Leupold has the freedom line now but seems mixed reviews.

In terms of the LPVO, I need one that won't ride too high which is why I though the Vx-2 but its no longer made, and getting an authentic one seems impossible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Best scope? Iron sights

That said & out of my system, I agree with the VX2 suggestion. Nice choice for the package.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Best scope? Iron sights

That said & out of my system, I agree with the VX2 suggestion. Nice choice for the package.
View Quote

My Winchester 94 agrees with you, but also sometimes a scope is just plain necessary.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
IDK man.  Problem is with the newer(and nicer) 1x4 or 5 is the 30mm tube pushes them high on the rifle.  Even with my custom low rail, I have a 1/2” riser on the stock via a neoprene stock sleeve and padding.  Even a 2x7 is going to raise your cheek on the stock.

These things were born to work with irons, but there are workarounds.  I like being able to pull the scope when the snow is flying hard and scopes suck.  Very little impact shift in my gun.
The scope is superior in most conditions.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not shown, I added a kydex cheek riser to the ruger cause I hate a chin weld.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 2.5 Bushnell Banner scope with a German three post reticle on my 99C in .308.

That rifle is my designated deer rifle, most shots are -100 yards so it serves the purpose well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#7]
On a 99? An old fixed 4 power weaver
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Burris used to make a 1” tube that is perfect for the 99. 2-7x

I have several on lever guns
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Wonder how a Vortex Razor HD 1.5-8x32 would work on one of those, at $430 not a bad deal.
Razor
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Best.  NF ATACR 1-8x
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/9070BF9B-767E-432F-AEC2-7C6B44C62937_jpe-1911222.JPG
View Quote

Nice looking rig, sir.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn fine looking rifle.
I think they do, I am more looking at a variable 2-7x that's where I've had luck before. I see that Leupold has the freedom line now but seems mixed reviews.

In terms of the LPVO, I need one that won't ride too high which is why I though the Vx-2 but its no longer made, and getting an authentic one seems impossible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn fine looking rifle.

VX-3HD 2.5-8X36? 1" tube.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]
8 or ten years back I got a pretty good deal on a 99.

Had a 3X9 on it with medium rings and while it was a reasonable scope it was out of place on that rifle and too high to boot.

Guy at my club got all excided when he saw the scope (guess he had one previously and really liked it) and offered me good money for it .

Wandered into the local mom and pop shop and they had a old Lyman All American 4X fixed that was super clear and had low rings to boot. Price was less than what the other guy had given me for the other scope.

Now this rifle was not pristine but looked pretty good when I cleaned it up some .

All in all the whole deal just fell in place and the Old Lyman was the perfect old classic scope for the gun. Old school but a very useable combo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#14]
you mention the Savage 99:  Is it already Drilled & Tapped for Bases?
Many fine examples were screwed up by Bubba's Home Gunsmithing...
Only the Late models were Factory D&T'd
Might want someone skilled and adept to inspect the work on the Rifle (assuming it was done outside the Factory) to insure the holes are in alignment and of sufficient thread to hold the Bases, even then I would use Dove-tail rings & Bases so Windage could be zeroed there first, then fine tuned with the scoped windage knobs.

As technology increases so does the product of reputable companies: the optics of the old Leupold VX-2 was fine in its time, but today its cheaper baby brother is just as good!  Like electronics: the newer stuff is cheaper and much better than previous generation, so don't be stuck on buying something old.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
VX-3HD 2.5-8X36? 1" tube.
View Quote

This would be my first choice.  At a lower price point, Vortex has the Diamondback 1.75-5 and Crossfire 2-7.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top