Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2021 1:26:52 AM EDT
Looking at a good Multitool. What brand and model is everyone using? Torn between Gerber and Leatherman but open to others as well. Thank you
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Wave personally
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Leatherman Surge, or Wave.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking at a good Multitool. What brand and model is everyone using? Torn between Gerber and Leatherman but open to others as well. Thank you
View Quote

I ran movie theatres for AMC here in Miami and carried a LM SuperTool v.1 for 7 years and while we had a killer tool box, lugging it up onto the roof to get panels off an AC unit, or to tighten up a loosened hose clamp on the popcorn oil's pump, was a pain.

Very robust and well thought out and the brown leather belt sheath looks nice, as well. It got a shit-ton of use.

For the past 7 years, it's been the SAK SwissChamp, which does way more, but is less robust.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a Leatherman Supertool 300 for over a decade. Use it dang near hourly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently got a Leatherman wing man. Although it is on the small side of multi tools it is big enough and I don't even notice it in my pocket. It's definitely a keeper.

i buggered up my trusty wave, this is definitely as useful in a smaller platform.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Wave all the way. Everything I need, nothing I don't.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Leatherman Wave. Lifetime warranty, I believe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Amazon link on the only one I use regularly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Wave personally
View Quote
Second on the Wave. I have the + version with the optional belt clip. It's always with me and gets used multiple times a day. Perfect size.

eta: Only problem is that they say there's a bottle opener on it but I've never found it. The can opener is absolutely not the right shape for opening bottles. I end up just using the end of the tool and prying against my hand, blowing the cap into orbit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Amazon link on the only one I use regularly.
View Quote

Did you ever notice that every painter's tool has a beer bottle opener?  I'm surprised they don't have roach clips.

I like Gerber multitool.  I've been using one for decades.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leatherman Surge, or Wave.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m a big fan of the Leatherman Wave. Quite a few years ago Walmart was closing out the Wave tools due to the packaging changing so I got several for around $40 each. Put one in each car. They aren’t more convenient than proper tools but it’s impressive how many tools can fit in one small package.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Victoriox.
What is this leatherman device you speak of? Sounds kind of tyrannical asshole to me.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I pack a Leatherman Skeletool. Good option for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Leatherman Super Tool 300
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#16]
USA made Schrade Tough Tool, not the Chinese crap that now wears the name.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Leatherman.  They have a tool that will work for whatever it is you need, from simple and basic to large and have everything.  The wave is crazy popular.

I've carried a leatherman of some sort or other for over 25 years now. (Sheesh I am getting old fast!)  I usually have a skeletool on me.  I got a Signal a couple years ago, and it is also great for a slightly larger tool.  (It replaced my MUT that I misplaced a few years back)

Otherwise, the SOG tools are pretty good as well, and are customizable, you can buy the tools individually and swap them out. I have a PowerTool EOD model.

And finally, for a gun focused multi-tool that's not the MUT, the Multitaskers are hard to beat in that role.  Very high quality tool!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I carry a gerber because I got it for free, carried a leather man for a long time too.  But what I use more than anything is the pair of side cutters I started slipping in my pocket about two years ago.  Those are their own multi tool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Leatherman Side-Clip.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Leatherman Surge with the bit set.   It is amazing the things that you can take apart and put back together with one.   I have four full sets.   One in my pocket (right side cargo pocket with the Leatherman in one inner pocket and the bits in the other), one in my car, one in my camper, and a spare set that is downstairs on my work bench.    I cannot imagine what it would have been like if I had one of those in the Marine Corps.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Leatherman Wave and Pulse (discontinued) are my go-tos
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not going to be much help.

My best is a Wave but I typically use my Gerbers more often.  Gerber has just gotten better since they made the old pinch your palm models and now have a bunch of specialty ones that fit various applications better.
View Quote

I didn't mention it in my post above, but I have one of their original (400?) square jawed tools and while it's really sharp, compact and has the square jaws, it pinches the crap out of my palms for some reason?

I use it on my reloading bench, when I reload, as it's to painful (for me) to EDC.

Thanks and I'm glad it's not just me, lol.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Leatherman Squirt PS4. Easy to carry, does 90% of the work my much larger Surge can do. It also has more tools then many of the larger 'EDC' sized Leathermans.

Things tough as hell; you can sharpen an axe with that tiny file. Pliers are surprisingly capable.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Squirt-PS4-Multitool-Blue/dp/B0032Y2OT6?th=1

I've been carrying one for 15 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Leatherman Skeletool for pocket carry, will cover 95% of this things you need a multi-tool for in EDC.

For serious work Leatherman Surge.

Leatherman Wave+ gets honorable mention.  Not quite big enough but enough for serious work but flexible and lighter to carry.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Leatherman Wave. Ive done a lot w/ mine... Including welding to a heater that I thought the power was turned off to
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Skeletool CX is what I carry in my pocket, Wave is what I carry in my backpack (along with the bit kit.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#29]
wingman, have had it since they were 25 bucks at wally world.  Works great, don't carry a knife because it has the pocket clip and the knife is exterior (1 handed opening)

Honerable mention is to the leatherman crunch.  I've been wanting one for a while but cant bite the $100 bullet for it.  Used one for a brake lever coming down a very steep 2 track in southern MT.  Worked just as well as a brake at the tame and never slipped.

(Crunch = Vice grips)
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a Multi-tasker early, early on.  Very, very well built, but Made in China.  I have it my "GTFOOD" AR, and I think I've only ever used it for the front sight post tool (which was plastic when they first built them. . . that's how old mine is).  

I just got a MUT and a Charge TTI+ last Black Friday.  They were about $50.00 each, after stacking coupon codes.  They're still in the packaging.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Leatherman Wave.  I had been using it for over 2 decades.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Wingman.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Carrying a MUTT right now but the wave will always have a special place in my heart .
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Any thoughts, rebar vs wave?

I have both, don't really carry a MT daily. Usually just a pocket knife.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Leatherman wave with holster that allows you to carry bit set and extension piece

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I use a Leatherman Charge
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Gerber for me , I like how it slide open. One handed easy open for immediate use.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Leatherman; its an older version of the Supertool that isn't made any longer, I believe.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Wave and a bit set.. I have several.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Leatheman supertool is always on my hip.

Want another multitool with locking pliers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#42]
edited
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Leatherman Wave. Lifetime warranty, I believe.
View Quote
This. I use the crap out of my LM WAVE+. Locking tools and easily replaceable parts too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a couple Waves, but not the biggest fan for a user.

Favorite is Victorinox Spirit...best tool for the size.

Workhorse is the Leatherman Surge.

Best additional tool is the Leatherman Crunch

Best multitool for work where you have limitations and wear a business attire...SOG PowerPint...still surprises me considering the size.

SOG's Switch Pliers are pretty cool and is a good option that I find myself carrying at times.

Ultralight backpacking? Leatherman PS.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I've just started carrying a LM Skeletool CX.

I've carried a pocketknife for decades, but my Spyderco PM2 aint worth a shit when I need a Philips head screwdriver. The Skeletool is kind of minimalistic, but I've already used it a bunch in the past few weeks. I've got a LM WAVE+, and while its nice, it's just to bulky for me to pocket carry, so it stays in my EDC pack.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Oddly enough, I most frequently carry the original LM tool. Replaced once probably fifteen years ago because the locking screws wouldn't hold. No questions asked replacement and I'd even broken the tip of the knife due to a manifestation of dumbass disease. That thing has been abused, tortured, maybe even fornicated upon. Still keeps going.
I have several other multi tools, but that one always floats to the top. Shitty design, collapses on you, but keeps on working. Kind of like Hillary.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Leatherman Wave is the best IMHO.  Now a-days I carry a Gerber MP-600 and abuse the hell out of it without worrying.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#48]
The Gerber is more comfortable to me then the leatherman.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Victorinox Spirit is so nice that you almost don’t want to use it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I use a Wave personally
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top