Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never pickled anything before (besides myself a time or two ) but I've had the itch to make some pickles for a while and then I stumbled on this thread and it got me thinking about it again. I've read through the thread (a lot of great information, BTW) but was wondering roughly how many qt jars Bozeman's recipe will make?  A dozen?  I'll probably cut the cucumbers in half or do spears.  Once I know that, I'll gauge if I should halve the recipe and also what I'll need to put on my shopping list.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IceAuger:
I've never pickled anything before (besides myself a time or two ) but I've had the itch to make some pickles for a while and then I stumbled on this thread and it got me thinking about it again. I've read through the thread (a lot of great information, BTW) but was wondering roughly how many qt jars Bozeman's recipe will make?  A dozen?  I'll probably cut the cucumbers in half or do spears.  Once I know that, I'll gauge if I should halve the recipe and also what I'll need to put on my shopping list.

Thanks!
View Quote
I get 6 (jars) quarts from the full recipe . I have canned up 18 jars this year . Some with jalapeno , some with habanero, some just garlic and dill. I love this simple recipe .
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I just used it to pickle some green tomatoes. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:
I just used it to pickle some green tomatoes. Fingers crossed.
View Quote
Do you just put the whole tomato in the jar or do you cut them up? The deer destroyed my tomato harvest so I've picked all the remaining green tomatos and want to use them somehow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I chunked them in to quarters or sixths depending on the tomato size.

They turned out really well but not as good as what I was trying to copy.

Kamikozees
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I just opened a jar of pickled green beans that I put up on September 15, 2018, using the original recipe in this thread.

This stuff is amazing! Just the right flavor and heat. Incredible. The quart jar may not survive til tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So I opened a jar of the green tomatoes and they really aren't anywhere near as good as the beans or pickles. I think the difference is the hot peppers. I didn't put any in the tomatoes and it just doesn't pop like the hot stuff. Also maybe the tomatoes just aren't as good, but the hot is a definite for all future pickling efforts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
So I opened a jar of the green tomatoes and they really aren't anywhere near as good as the beans or pickles. I think the difference is the hot peppers. I didn't put any in the tomatoes and it just doesn't pop like the hot stuff. Also maybe the tomatoes just aren't as good, but the hot is a definite for all future pickling efforts.
View Quote
Oh they need the spice...you definitely need a pepper added.  You still can add it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone make any Pickles recently.  I've almost exhausted my stash so I'm gonna get ready to make another Huge batch.  I always do Cucs and Peppers I think I'm gonna do beans and Carrots this year too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
I am astonished that a pickle thread is one of the longest running threads in Homestead/Garden.

View Quote
Have you tried them???

I plan on making a new batch this summer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#15]

I have not.

Not for lack of desire though.

Just time, life happening, deaths in the family, overwhelmed with busy and catch-up, etc etc.  Life, basically, and I seem to be perpetually behind as of about three years ago.

I very much want time to can.  It is a life goal.

Not only pickles, but I have my mom's (also grandmother's) beet pickle recipe.  People beg me for the last few jars of her beets, but I'm not giving them up.

I need to learn to make them.

So yeah, I want to can, and put up pickles of all sorts.
View Quote
My mother is in her mid 60s and makes a bunch of my grandma's home canning recipes.  I have instructed SO we will be taking a crash course this summer on canning.  Especially the pickled beet recipe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#16]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]
YES!  Do it. Do not put it off.  I pray your mom has many, many, MANY more years left to can.  Mid-60s is YOUNG.

But don't wait to learn.  Not only because we are not promised tomorrow so you should make time for the important things now (I have missed a few that I will always regret) but because it generally takes more than one year to get it right.  The little tricks she knows...you won't grab all of them in one season, and those make your canning smarter, easier, and your canned food taste like "home."

Plan two or three seasons if you can do it.  It may become a fun time you want to repeat anyhow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My mother is in her mid 60s and makes a bunch of my grandma's home canning recipes.  I have instructed SO we will be taking a crash course this summer on canning.  Especially the pickled beet recipe.
YES!  Do it. Do not put it off.  I pray your mom has many, many, MANY more years left to can.  Mid-60s is YOUNG.

But don't wait to learn.  Not only because we are not promised tomorrow so you should make time for the important things now (I have missed a few that I will always regret) but because it generally takes more than one year to get it right.  The little tricks she knows...you won't grab all of them in one season, and those make your canning smarter, easier, and your canned food taste like "home."

Plan two or three seasons if you can do it.  It may become a fun time you want to repeat anyhow.
Oh this is just a start.  The SO is a New England Yankee and admitted I scared her the first time she opened my cellar door off my laundry room and saw the shelves loaded with jars.  She assumed I was some big prepper.  LOL she was right.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]

All the old folks used to be preppers.  Survivalists.  Had to be, yaknow?

Most people have just forgotten that you CAN live without Kroger for a month if you plan a little ahead.
View Quote
She’s learning that. I’m working on building my pantry for survival oriented stuff now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been following this thread for a long time and have found it thoroughly enjoyable.  Living in a small apartment I can't garden anymore, so buying cukes to pickle isn't economical when I can just buy jars of pickles for the pantry.

BUT

I have made some tasty refrigerator pickles.  One of my favorite sandwiches is peanut butter and pickle, and fresh, really crunchy pickles are best.

Recently I tried this:

Attachment Attached File

Simple recipe - cut up cucumbers and put them in a clean jar.  Boil vinegar, water, and some spice, then pour it over the pickles in the jar.  Put on the lid and in two days good crispy pickles are there.

I use English cucumbers but small pickeling cukes work almost as well. About 1 1/2 English cukes per quart.

I have added garlic, onion slices, jalopeno, canned beets, sugar, and celery to various jars.  Everything was good, but red pickles(from the beets)looked strange.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I just canned 4 more jars.

i also threw out some jars from 3 years ago.  They're no good.  Jar seal is perfect, but the taste and smell is horrible.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#22]
Putting up 20 quarts today.

Cannot wait for them to be ready to eat...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#23]
Tried them with 1 TBSP sriracha chili garlic paste.  It's the sriracha sauce with no sugar.
Here's the difference
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By samiam513:
Tried them with 1 TBSP sriracha chili garlic paste.  It's the sriracha sauce with no sugar.
Here's the difference
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97802/49D81143-E6DB-4306-8D72-16629CF72079_jpeg-1018103.JPG
View Quote
OOHHHH
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I might be in love with your toaster.

It looks like it will take thick homemade/artisan bread.

But it doesn't look like it will take slices that are very long.  Am I wrong about that?

What is it, do you like it, and would you recommend it?

Sorry...not pickle related. Though those pickles are lovely!
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/D76DE25B-4CBC-4ECE-97FF-36BEC9E01B4D_jpeg-1011283.JPG

But it doesn't look like it will take slices that are very long.  Am I wrong about that?

Rules of the internet.  Anything in the picture is fair game for discussion.  Especially reflections lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/D76DE25B-4CBC-4ECE-97FF-36BEC9E01B4D_jpeg-1011283.JPG

@Kitties-with-Sigs

Its some sort of T-Fal Brand.  That's my Momma's house.  My kitchen isn't big enough to do the large canning operations we get in to.

There are several that look like it (but I'm not sure of the model) on Amazon.

Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#29]
No problem!
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#31]
So how are the sriracha garlic pickles?

That makes me almost want to do pickles.

Did your paste come in a tube?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By samiam513:
Here's the difference
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97802/49D81143-E6DB-4306-8D72-16629CF72079_jpeg-1018103.JPG
So how are the sriracha garlic pickles?

That makes me almost want to do pickles.

Did your paste come in a tube?
Have you not made these??
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 11:39:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#32]
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#33]

No.  Past few years been dealing with family passing and other issues.  Been remodeling houses and starting a business last couple of years.

Haven't done anything even remotely domestic.

Last thing I canned was with my mom several years back.  Green beans and what she called (my grandmother's) "little brown stick beans."

Not pickles.

I have her beet recipe, and want to make those next year at the very least.

But no.  I have not made regular pickles of any kind since I was a kid.  *hangs head*
View Quote
Aww man that sucks.  You owe it to yourself and if your momma was a canner she will smile down upon it I am sure.  The home canned stuff we make just makes me a little happier when I am eating it.

My SO didn't grow up with that kind of stuff in New England so planting a veg garden and eating our own bounty during the summer and all winter is a great experience.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#34]
so This recipe works well with cucumbers, beans, okra, corn, peppers and green tomatoes.

Any vegies that I am missing?

I read someone was going to try it with Zucchini squash, but didn't see how it turned out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Just finished making another small batch of these (cucumbers are store bought, but the dill is from the backyard). Only thing I do differently is leave out the red pepper (my Dad can't eat hot stuff)....and a couple of the jars have a bunch of cut jalapeno (those are mine!)

If you've never made jalapeno dill pickles and you like jalapenos.....definitely give that a try. I can find plenty of "hot sweet" pickles in the stores, but I've never seen any spicy dill....so I decided to improvise one year. Good stuff.

Looking forward to them as always!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Grendel_J:
Just finished making another small batch of these (cucumbers are store bought, but the dill is from the backyard). Only thing I do differently is leave out the red pepper (my Dad can't eat hot stuff)....and a couple of the jars have a bunch of cut jalapeno (those are mine!)

If you've never made jalapeno dill pickles and you like jalapenos.....definitely give that a try. I can find plenty of "hot sweet" pickles in the stores, but I've never seen any spicy dill....so I decided to improvise one year. Good stuff.

Looking forward to them as always!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74992/100_1609_JPG-1034125.JPG
View Quote
If you have a Trader Joe’s close by they make an awesome spicy dill pickle chip. Not as good as homemade but damn tasty.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#37]

If you have a Trader Joe's close by they make an awesome spicy dill pickle chip. Not as good as homemade but damn tasty.
View Quote
Closest one's in North Austin. Maybe I'll check into that next time I'm down there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Closest one's in North Austin. Maybe I'll check into that next time I'm down there. Thanks!
View All Quotes

If you have a Trader Joe's close by they make an awesome spicy dill pickle chip. Not as good as homemade but damn tasty.
I love em on sammiches

I use the brine in bloody Mary’s. Delicious.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone tried this method with Pearl onions?
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 4:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#41]
Originally Posted By waterglass:
View Quote
Hmm no. Sounds interesting. Would make a good cocktail.

Just picked up my bounty today. They were at my mommas
Part of that is also bread and butter pickles and pickled beets.

Attachment Attached File

While there we cut and prepped our family recipe of “pickled green tomato ketchup” Basically a rough cut chow chow with minimal ingredients.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#43]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/32C9BB02-B9FC-4E6A-80CF-52BEE526C3E9_jpeg-1041074.JPG

While there we cut and prepped our family recipe of “pickled green tomato ketchup” Basically a rough cut chow chow with minimal ingredients.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/BCC30706-8D5F-4A93-AF9B-5A55B76989BD_jpeg-1041085.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/E76B7643-A943-4D9B-8C80-052D2A05F342_jpeg-1041086.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/B345CD2F-6964-4B76-B447-4332D122969F_jpeg-1041089.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/32C9BB02-B9FC-4E6A-80CF-52BEE526C3E9_jpeg-1041074.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/BCC30706-8D5F-4A93-AF9B-5A55B76989BD_jpeg-1041085.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/E76B7643-A943-4D9B-8C80-052D2A05F342_jpeg-1041086.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/B345CD2F-6964-4B76-B447-4332D122969F_jpeg-1041089.JPG
Never heard of it before. How is it done?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#44]
View All Quotes

Cabbage, bell peppers, banana peppers and green tomatoes. Then salted and allowed to ferment like sauerkraut.  Three weeks to “pickle” and jar it up.

I can eat a pint at a time with a fork. It’s also great over pinto beans and in fried potatoes. I’ve put it on bologna sammiches and even cold pizza.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Green Tomato Ketchup is an art form here.

The competition at county fairs is fierce.

Alas, I do not have my grandmother's recipe.   Wish I did.
View Quote
That’s very interesting. I’ve never had anybody else’s tell me they knew what it was.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#46]
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Heck I am from central Ky and never heard of it. We got Chow chow relish, but like sig says it doesn't have cabbage and isn't fermented.

Locally it is made with grated peppers, corn, green tomato, onion and garlic and canned in salt/vinegar brine.

I like the idea of those things fermented together in Kraut tho.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 1:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#49]

It's regional.  It's the same thing as chow chow, sort of, from what I understand. My North Carolina friends have described it to me.

Wrote a blog about it long ago, and got a lot of responses from all over the country, about regional versions of this.

That's how I know it's pretty much everywhere, but the ingredients differ slightly from region to region, and it's called something different if you just step a little to the left.

FYI, I don't think ours has cabbage.

It LOOKS like relish, either with or without a few red peppers chopped in just for color.

Green tomatoes, of course, green peppers, sometimes a few red...I can't remember what else goes in ours. But I do NOT remember cabbage. It was all chopped very fine, but "blocky".

I know it's heresy, but a friend gave me some Green Tomato Ketchup as a Christmas gift once...made from her grandmother's recipe.  They were from the Lexington/Versailles area of Kentucky. (For y'all who need a little tutoring, that's pronounced Ver-SALES here in Kentucky.  Ain't no French folk 'round here yaknow? )

Anyway....it was the best GTK I've ever eaten, and I liked it better than my own grandma's.  ( I know, I know, that's wrong, but...I did.)

HOWEVER...NOBODY can beat my grandma's pickled beets, or her cucumber pickles...all made from cucumbers smaller than the end of my pinky finger. (my pinky finger is not very big.)  Tiny little baby cucumbers.   So tender, sweet and delicious you just wanna put your face in the jar.
View Quote
Heck I am from central Ky and never heard of it. We got Chow chow relish, but like sig says it doesn't have cabbage and isn't fermented.

Locally it is made with grated peppers, corn, green tomato, onion and garlic and canned in salt/vinegar brine.

I like the idea of those things fermented together in Kraut tho.
View Quote
Funny thing is I have NEVER come across anything like it.  Anybody I feed it to never has either.  People want to call it chow-chow, but chow-chow typically has different ingredients and is a much finer chop like a relish.

I literally used a kraut cutter to cut the cabbage.

Like this.

It is just salty pickly crunchy good ness.  We made 15 gallons of raw product.  Should break down to a little less with the salt added.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top