Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2019 3:57:50 PM EDT
New to bass fishing, would prefer a spinning reel and 2 piece rod. What your recommendation?
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jbdpayne] [#1]
If you want to go on a budget, when I would fish farm ponds I used an old eagle claw combo from Walmart. I would go with an ugly stick, 6'6" in a medium heavy action for a little more versatility and strength, and get a Mitchell or okuma reel. The are cheap and itd run ya maybe 50 to 60 bucks, other than that if you want mono line that's tougher, I use to use 12lb triline xt mono, or spider wire your pick
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
On a side note spinning reels will have more versatility than baitcasters, but that's all I use now. Come June I like to use top water lures for bass around spawning areas, borderline vegetation etc, get you a buzz bait or 2 if you'll be in shallow waters!
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much out there for 50 bucks. The Favorite white bird rod and white bird reel might work? Will be closer to 100 from tackle warehouse. Never used them, but its popular with you tube fisherman. Bass pro shop might have a combo in there own brand for 50 bucks shipped free. Kast king brand on Amazon is another popular inexpensive brand.

Ugly stick combos have a place, but best for bait fisherman where a sensitive tip isn't always needed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured the options would be limited. I may try them with a fly rod also, just wanted to see what the thoughts were for a beater rig.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Favorite Googan combo
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jbdpayne:
If you want to go on a budget, when I would fish farm ponds I used an old eagle claw combo from Walmart. I would go with an ugly stick, 6'6" in a medium heavy action for a little more versatility and strength, and get a Mitchell or okuma reel. The are cheap and itd run ya maybe 50 to 60 bucks, other than that if you want mono line that's tougher, I use to use 12lb triline xt mono, or spider wire your pick
View Quote
I just picked up a couple of Okuma spinning reels for $40 or so on Amazon. I'll tell you what, they're well constructed, very smooth and look nice
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By granther:
I figured the options would be limited. I may try them with a fly rod also, just wanted to see what the thoughts were for a beater rig.
View Quote
A $50 rod and reel combo will last for years.

Poster saying Mitchell and ugly stick is correct.

That comb combo is good for many years.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:

I just picked up a couple of Okuma spinning reels for $40 or so on Amazon. I'll tell you what, they're well constructed, very smooth and look nice
View Quote
I bought one for a trout spinner and loved it, super smooth for the price and it's been through all sorts of crap weather since
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Academy has an Ugly Stick combo, rod/spinning reel, for $49.99. I'm tempted to get one for my 11 year old daughter. A step up from her Zebco 404 and a good intro to spinning.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#10]
I bought my wife a Lews combo for $59.00 of course she didn’t like it cause it didn’t say Shimano. But after playing with it I really like the rod. The reel is ok but the rod is as good as some of my more expensive rods. I’m not a fan of ugly sticks but Shakespeare has some good IM6 rods.

I don’t have picture of the rod but it did really well catching Crappie.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#11]
You'd be better off going with a $50 rod and a $50 reel.  I have a couple of setups where I spent about that on each piece and they have given me good service for years.

Here's my suggestion for a Medium weight bass spinning rig:

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Ugly stick combo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top