Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2019 7:37:02 PM EDT
I’d like some advice. I’m wanting around a 45ish day supply of emergency/survival rations for four adults as a starting point, and on the cheap. That should be around 200lbs of rice, and 200lbs of beans, think. I’ll also need some sort of oil, and spices like salt and pepper. The beans and rice would supplement what I currently have on hand if I had to use them, and something I can put into a tote(s) and forget about for 10-15 years.

What kind of beans and rice should I get, and how much? What oil? How much salt? I’m thinking I’d be buying in bulk from Costco, or another place if there’s better offerings in Anchorage, AK. Also, anything else for this emergency food tote(s)?
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Lentils are quicker to cook.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Salt is cheap, and requires very little storage space - so it's worth overstocking.

For adding flavor, I like the Bolner's "Fiesta" brand Pinto Bean Seasoning, and the Spanish Rice Seasoning. They don't take up much space, so they're stored in the fridge for maximum shelf life.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lentils are quicker to cook.
View Quote
You’d prefer them over beans?
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.cavemandoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Oil-Shelf-Life.jpg

Salt is cheap, and requires very little storage space - so it's worth overstocking.

For adding flavor, I like the Bolner's "Fiesta" brand Pinto Bean Seasoning, and the Spanish Rice Seasoning. They don't take up much space, so they're stored in the fridge for maximum shelf life.
View Quote
Darn on the oil. I guess I’ll keep an extra gallon on hand to cycle through instead of storing it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Red Feather canned butter....pricey but has a longer shelf life than other oils.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Red feather is great but be warned they don't ship to the US anymore the US supply should run out soon.
A high-quality ghee in a glass jar should last a long time.
A high-quality olive oil in a dark glass bottle will last three plus years. So far the stuff I bought from Costco and Sam's went bad very quickly. Luckily my chickens seem to enjoy oils on their scratch.
A high quality organic cold pressed coconut oil should last 3 to 4 years. The more refined it is the quicker it goes rancid.
My favorite oil is macadamia and it lasts three plus years as well.
It's also one of the healthiest of all the oils. I find it the hardest one to store because we use it so much faster when it's on hand.
MCT oil has little to no flavor but it has been definite shelf life.
I believe the Himalayan pink salt has better flavor so I prefer to store that.
Plan on a pressure cooker and your preps for cooking the beans and rice to reduce the inflammatory properties.
Be cautious if you have any diabetics in the family because you're getting ready to go on a super high carb diet in an emergency.
I like to store canned chicken that is pretty cheap from Costco and I mix it into our beans and rice with the fats to make a more rounded meal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
In for information.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#8]
As for rice, I very much prefer parboiled rice.  The processing kills off any naturally occurring bugs,  and when cooked, cleanup is easier.  I prefer the texture as well.  The best benefit is packaging.  In most cases I find large bags of parboiled in sealed, heavyweight plastic bags.  For storage, its simple:  stack them on the shelf......  No additional fussing
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those are extremely conservative estimates for some of those.

I’ve frequently used 2+ year old Canola oil, for one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Crisco has unlimited shelf life if unopened. Also, I have a bigass jar of coconut oil that's been moved twice now and it's still fine.  Those "go bad" numbers are not realistic. Get enough that you can lose a jar or two and... store what you eat so it gets rotated.

I second the lentils comment. Waaaaayy easier to cook and no soaking needed.  You can just drop a handful in any soup you are making to add protein and fiber too.  Don't forget bay leaves and some other stuff to make them taste better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeh, I think you're probably right.

I've got olive oil sitting in the kitchen cupboard that was probably made during GWB's first term, and it still tastes just fine!

Again, if you've got room for it in the fridge, it'll keep a lot longer there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Darn on the oil. I guess I’ll keep an extra gallon on hand to cycle through instead of storing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That chart is woefully wrong.

Peanut and other oils will go years without degrading as long as they are kept in a airtight container and cool conditions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’d be buying in bulk from Costco, or another place if there’s better offerings in Anchorage, AK. Also, anything else for this emergency food tote(s)?
View Quote
I did my first prep in AK over 15 years ago.
White food grade buckets from home depot.

Bags from sorbent system.

For each bucket holds about 22-25 lbs of beens. 18-20# of rice, 20 lbs pasta.

I went to Sam's got rice, beans, dry pasta( mac and spaghetti), flour,salt, pancake mix.

Some Canned meats as well like spam and canned chicken but I went to Walmart for most of that-like dinty moore and canned chunks of beef as well as soup

Multiple McCormick bottles of spices-like dried onion garlic parsley Italian mix. They also have seasoning mixes like taco, cajun etc.
BTW I'm still using them. I repackaged them in Mason jars with O2 Absorbers.

I got #10 cans of cheese sauce,  spagetti sauce and a few veggies.

I got a big thing  (7 gallons) of oil.

I moved this stuff over 8k miles from AK to ID to NC to UT.

All the bulk packed dry stuff was still good 15 years later.

Canned/wet items were used by 5 years later.

I would look past just beans and rice that would suck
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Just do the math on meals to get correct amount.
White rice keeps longer than brown.

Store inside Mylar in food grave buckets.

I went with powdered eggs for fats instead of oils since oils don’t keep more than a few years.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve heard that when it starts to smell like crayons it’s extremely unhealthy.  Oxidants? free radicals? Carcinogenic?  Can’t remember.

Crayons are still ok to eat though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, gents, for the info.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I posted some info about this in new thread but this stuff called BaconUp appears to have about a 3-year "Use by" time. Not sure what it's actual shelf life really is. But, bacon grease makes for a really nice flavor enhancer regardless of what your cooking.

https://baconup.com/
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
16 oz grain, 8 oz legume, 1 tbsp fat will give you 2100 calories
so 50# grain,25# legume, and 1 quart of oil /person.
low acid first cold press olive oil lasts if kept cool, 120 calories /tbsp, 32 servings/ 16oz
eat grains and legumes to create a complementary protein profile.
for example-

beans and rice or corn tortillas
pea soup and corn bread
bbq lentils and barley
lentil and noodle soup

oregano , chili, onion, garlic powder , pepper, and salt. a tsp of  sugar adds much to a pot of beans.

if you want biscuits or corn bread, baking soda and cream of tartar (mixed together they are the same as baking powder, but last longer separated) .
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:24:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

if you want biscuits or corn bread, baking soda and cream of tartar (mixed together they are the same as baking powder, but last longer separated) .
View Quote
Make sure you get the baking soda and cream of tartar ratios correct or you could end up with a baking mess on your hands.

I am no expert, but here is the internet opinion on some of the ratios...

how to make baking powder
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Listen to lowdown...
I just finished feeding 700 lb of wheat rice and beans that all became infested with bugs.
I had always planned on putting it into buckets with oxygen absorbers but never had time. It was all indoors in the pantry.
I'm not sure where the bugs came from or which thing brought in the bastards.
I was shocked that they got into the rice and the beans as I figured the beans were too hard. They even got into popcorn.
I hadn't been paying attention to it since I stopped eating grains five or six years ago and always figured this would just be trade goods but instead it turned into messy expensive chicken feed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
16 oz grain, 8 oz legume, 1 tbsp fat will give you 2100 calories
so 50# grain,25# legume, and 1 quart of oil /person.
low acid first cold press olive oil lasts if kept cool, 120 calories /tbsp, 32 servings/ 16oz
eat grains and legumes to create a complementary protein profile.
for example-

beans and rice or corn tortillas
pea soup and corn bread
bbq lentils and barley
lentil and noodle soup
oregano , chili, onion, garlic powder , pepper, and salt. a tsp of  sugar adds much to a pot of beans.

View Quote
Excellent info, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Here are the big 5.  You can buy in bulk - pack in mylar w/ O2 absorbers and it basically has indefinite shelf life.

1. Rice (I prefer Jasmin in 25 lb bags, is about 2x the price than regular but the family likes it better)
2. Popcorn (50 pound bags at Sams - this lasts a long time and can be ground for corn meal)
3. Dried beans (pintos are the easiest to get in bulk)
4. Sugar
5. Wheat

Make little mylar packs of salt to stash in each larger mylar bag of rice/beans.  That way when you open it, you should have both salt and the food.

You would also be surprised how long regular stuff like flour or grits last, when packed with o2 absorbers.  I've even packed flour with bugs - and kept it for about 10 years.  The bugs died and the flour was still good.

Rice with bugs is still very useable - just float them out.

Work the rice and beans into your diet. Sure, spice them up, flavor them, but occasionally maybe just eat them with salt and figure alternative ways to fix them.

We usually will buy rice in bulk at Sams Club - we try to work it in to lots of food.  50 lbs of regular rice is like 17 bucks.

The longest lasting fat we have found is Coconut Oil (looks like lard when cold) from Costco or Sams (can't remember which).  They seem to do OK with time.  Has a coconuty flavor but otherwise works well for cooking.

Take a look at Thermos cooking - this works pretty well and requires minimal energy expenditure.  Basically you get a nice thermos (I have a Nissan, they are super nice), add in hot water to cook the stuff, and then just let it set.  Takes a while but gets the rice and beans cooked.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#24]
A site that may help. eatbydate. Not sure it's all accurate, but seems ot mesh with what others have said here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#25]
80's Ads: Beans & Rice ABC Cartoon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top