Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2018 1:55:52 PM EDT
Need some help from the experts. I haven’t been fishing since Gerald Ford was president with my trusty zebco 202. Now I’m moving to one of the premier walleye and smallmouth fisheries in the US. I have no idea what kind of rod and reel to get or what tackle I need. My tackle in the past consisted of hooks, egg sinkers, 2 or 3 bobbers and earthworms.

I'll be Trying to catch walleyes, northern, and smallmouth bass from both the shore and a boat. What kind of basic tackle, rod and reel and line should I get? My budget is $150 with some wiggle room if necessary. The location is Lak Oahe inSouth Dakota if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait until you get there and buy what they suggest in a local tackle shop.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Fly Rod, Fly Reel...   Fly Line, Flies...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
For Walleye and bass you essentially need two rods and reels - I'd suggest a medium spinning rod 6-15pd test for walleyes and some fairly big plugs and spinners (the locals will know what tackle you need) + some bait rigging. For the bass fishing - that's a thing all it's own - and most will go medium light bait caster with 4-8 pd test, and people use bugs, poppers, spoons and bait fish.  Alternately - you can pick up a light trout spinning rod setup and rig for bass and panfish and get a little more versatility.
For reels - I like Daiwa.  Rods - look for a graphite rod - Berkley is a good starting point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Smallmouth as a general rule will attack chartreuse lures.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 300Savage1899:
For Walleye and bass you essentially need two rods and reels - I'd suggest a medium spinning rod 6-15pd test for walleyes and some fairly big plugs and spinners (the locals will know what tackle you need) + some bait rigging. For the bass fishing - that's a thing all it's own - and most will go medium light bait caster with 4-8 pd test, and people use bugs, poppers, spoons and bait fish.  Alternately - you can pick up a light trout spinning rod setup and rig for bass and panfish and get a little more versatility.
For reels - I like Daiwa.  Rods - look for a graphite rod - Berkley is a good starting point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thank you for the specifics! That’s a great help. Off to the Cabela’s catalog.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Start a drug habit.  It will be cheaper in the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top