Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2021 7:36:17 AM EDT
Has anyone read or listened to Ava's Crucible by Mark Goodwin?
interesting that it came out in 2019.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I had never heard of the series until now.

The Amazon write up sounds like it fits today's agenda
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. Good series.

Goodwin has several 3-4 book series that are good reads
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, a good read/listen and very timely.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The Ava series is just OK, which is better than some.  He tries to push five books worth of situations into three books, meaning he doesn't spend enough time on issues or developing characters in his latter series, including Ava.

Two I can recommend, his first two book series, are "The economic collapse chronicles" and "The days of Noah."  

Be aware that his books are from a conservative Christian standpoint, so there is no sex or swearing in the book.  

The two series I listed are two of my favorite series from a number of authors.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven’t read Ava’s Crucible yet. I did like his series, Days of Elijah and The Days of Noah.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Ava series is just OK, which is better than some.  He tries to push five books worth of situations into three books, meaning he doesn't spend enough time on issues or developing characters in his latter series, including Ava.

Two I can recommend, his first two book series, are "The economic collapse chronicles" and "The days of Noah."  

Be aware that his books are from a conservative Christian standpoint, so there is no sex or swearing in the book.  

The two series I listed are two of my favorite series from a number of authors.
View Quote

I kind of felt to much time was spent on character building. All be it three books is way to short.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked his other audio books but returned Ava's crucible. Did not care for it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Mark has run out of good content. His stuff has gotten very predictable. Loved his earlier work but he needs to take a sabbatical and take a pause.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also be aware that the moral heroes righteously torture people and kidnap children for ransom.  

Liked most of his books, but when I got to the series with the above scenarios, I returned it and stop listening.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also be aware that the moral heroes righteously torture people and kidnap children for ransom.  

Liked most of his books, but when I got to the series with the above scenarios, I returned it and stop listening.
View Quote
I'm listening again because the first time it was mostly back ground. But I don't recall kidnapping children
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm listening again because the first time it was mostly back ground. But I don't recall kidnapping children
View Quote

It wasn't Ava's Crucible, that one was pretty good.  I was referring to a series called Black Swan.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It wasn't Ava's Crucible, that one was pretty good.  I was referring to a series called Black Swan.
View Quote

That wasn't by the same author, was it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That wasn't by the same author, was it?
View Quote

Yep same author.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Where did they torture people and kidnap children in the book?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where did they torture people and kidnap children in the book?
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top