Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2020 8:51:53 PM EDT
Would anyone in the know care to do a nutritional comparison to MH?

I bought 1 for the family to try.

Pros:
1. Cost $20
2. Sturdy (I could stand on it) stackable bucket with carry handle
3. Family has eaten and liked the 2 meal entrees we've prepared

Cons:
None yet

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought one of those at Walmart today. In my store it's over by the bulk foods and pickles. Mine was a bitch to open but it looks well portioned out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I found three of these at a local to me WM today (while shopping online). I'm so lazy I'm having them shipped to my house.

They look similar to the MPS "72 hour kits" that have been $10 each lately, but with roughly double the calories.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did you get it?
View Quote
Walmart, in the grocery side.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess I’m headed to Walmart this week. I’ll add some of these to the 10 MPS 72 hour kits I bought.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]
check your local Walmart's for Mountain House entrée pouches in the sporting goods section at clearance prices.  Mine has a bunch.  I grabbed enough to gobble up all the cash I had on me today when I went in, and I plan on grabbing the rest tomorrow when I go hopefully

ETA:  There's no meat in the Augason buckets, but they're still second on my list right behind Mountain House
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into the #10 cans on amazon.

The staples (ie potato hash, premixed pancake/muffin/biscuit mix) are all around $7-8.

Each one has approximately 3 pounds of food.  Add water and cook.  Make sure you have baggies to seal off unused material.

ALSO!  The same goes for the Auguson Farms food buckets.  The mixes often come in larger bags that have to be portioned out.  Make sure you have quart and gallon storage bags.  Don't open a sealed bag from the bucket until ready to use.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would anyone in the know care to do a nutritional comparison to MH?

Pros:
1. Cost $20
View Quote

not close

the pancake mix is worth =2.76
10 oz oatmeal= 90 cent plus sugar(10 cents) 1.00
mac is about 1.5 lbs= 1.50
rice is about 1.20 + boullin cube is 8 cents 1.28
potatoes about 1.00
dried milk 1.20
oil . 80
cheese blend = 1.20

10.74 for all of it

you're better off buying couple packs of mac, pancake mix, some rice, deyhydrated potatoes, pack of boulion cubes and a jug of oil.

it will cost about 25 bucks and be worth 5x the calories, or be lazy
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:24:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

not close

potatoes about 1.00
dried milk 1.20
oil . 80
cheese blend = 1.20

10.74 for all of it

you're better off buying couple packs of mac, pancake mix, some rice, deyhydrated potatoes, pack of boulion cubes and a jug of oil.

View Quote
As usual, you miss the point entirely.

Point being, this comes in a bucket to keep the elements and critters out. The pouches are mylar with O2 absorbers for LTS (all of which adds considerable expense to your “cost table”.)

Tell ya what. In ten years, I’ll put one of these up against all the items you listed, with the caveat that you buy those items now and store them as they come for the entire 10 years. I’ll do the same with this kit and we’ll see who has more edible calories then.

These kits are not perfect, but they’re a good value for LTS survival food in the current market. Something to buy a few of and stash for a rainy day. Or don’t. No one is forcing you to do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Point being, this comes in a bucket to keep the elements and critters out. The pouches are mylar with O2 absorbers for LTS (all of which adds considerable expense to your “cost table”.)

Tell ya what. In ten years, I’ll put one of these up against all the items you listed, with the caveat that you buy those items now and store them as they come for the entire 10 years. I’ll do the same with this kit and we’ll see who has more edible calories then.

These kits are not perfect, but they’re a good value for LTS survival food in the current market. Something to buy a few of and stash for a rainy day. Or don’t. No one is forcing you to do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not close

potatoes about 1.00
dried milk 1.20
oil . 80
cheese blend = 1.20

10.74 for all of it

Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not close

potatoes about 1.00
dried milk 1.20
oil . 80
cheese blend = 1.20

10.74 for all of it

agree
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eh, not really. You can buy quart mylar bags with 02 absorbers for 37 cents per bag/absorber on amazon right now(granted you buy them in bulk, which i do anyway). 5 gallon food grade buckets with tops run me $1 at the local Grocer or i can usually get them for free if i feel like bugging the local bakery. So that adds what, $3 at most to the cost? So that's an extra $6ish that you're paying not to put it together yourself. Decent little mark up, but nothing crazy. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a decent deal at $20(although it's mostly just carbs and basically no nutritional value, but hey everybody loves mac and cheese and pancakes), but let's not pretend like buying the bags and bucket add a ton of cost to the deal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol thin skinned arent we.

Your argument is it will last longer and its sooo expensive for a bucket and mylar
Okay ill make it easy for you.

Bucket is 2 bucks or free if you ask at a baker.

Mylar bags would be a couple bucks.

Still cheaper, more calories and will last as long.

If you want to compare preps we can do it now. We dont have to wait 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Auguson stuff, and they have small cans you can try out items without needing to open a number 10 can.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Eh, not really. You can buy quart mylar bags with 02 absorbers for 37 cents per bag/absorber on amazon right now(granted you buy them in bulk, which i do anyway). 5 gallon food grade buckets with tops run me $1 at the local Grocer or i can usually get them for free if i feel like bugging the local bakery. So that adds what, $3 at most to the cost? So that's an extra $6ish that you're paying not to put it together yourself. Decent little mark up, but nothing crazy. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a decent deal at $20(although it's mostly just carbs and basically no nutritional value, but hey everybody loves mac and cheese and pancakes), but let's not pretend like buying the bags and bucket add a ton of cost to the deal.
View Quote
I get that it can be done cheaper, but so can most of the things in life. I don't know anything about mylar or O2 absorbents, but I'm trying to learn. In the mean time let's say it takes an house to do this myself rather than buying it. I make more than $6 an hour so it's still a loss, even for less money.

that said I do want to learn how to do all this, and I'm learning about vacuum packing now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the spirit of not revealing all my cards, I didn't in my last post. One must also calculate time spent acquiring and preserving real foods in a legitimate opportunity cost analysis.

I would venture a guess that for 95% of people, the $20 bucket is cheaper.

I've preserved plenty of food in mylar and buckets over the years. I get the economics of it
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I find MH, Auguson, Ready Store, My Patriot Supply, etc. all make pretty decent stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your argument is it will last longer and its sooo expensive for a bucket and mylar

View Quote
Not at all. Almost every thread I've ever seen you post in here, you shit all over someone's idea. Just give it a rest dude. We get that you think you're the tier one Alpha Male with the only answers that will work for everyone. You're not.

Will your way work? Yep. Will these Augason buckets work? Yep. Is one more expensive than the other? Perhaps, but not when EVERYTHING involved with preserving your own fresh foods is taken into account, which is a common fallacy when people decide to do something (anything) themselves.

Congratulations your alpha-ness is showing. Move the fuck on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Point made. Now go away
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not at all. Almost every thread I've ever seen you post in here, you shit all over someone's idea. Just give it a rest dude. We get that you think you're the tier one Alpha Male with the only answers that will work for everyone. You're not.

Will your way work? Yep. Will these Augason buckets work? Yep. Is one more expensive than the other? Perhaps, but not when EVERYTHING involved with preserving your own fresh foods is taken into account, which is a common fallacy when people decide to do something (anything) themselves.

Congratulations your alpha-ness is showing. Move the fuck on.
View Quote
THANK YOU!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In the spirit of not revealing all my cards, I didn't in my last post. One must also calculate time spent acquiring and preserving real foods in a legitimate opportunity cost analysis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Time acquiring is only a factor is you make special trips to get the stuff. If you simply buy the stuff while at the store anyway, no extra time is really added(i guess you could say it took you an extra 2 minutes to literally grab the extra stuff and put it into your cart). Bags are bought online, so at most you're adding another minute. Preserving foods, ok but that's 5 minutes for the stuff we're talking about? You aren't freeze drying or dehydrating any of this stuff. You're just taking it and placing it in the bags and sealing them up. So we're up to 8 minutes of your time. Subtract the time spent shopping online as that was spent on both items, so you're down to 7 minutes.

I would venture a guess that for 95% of people, the $20 bucket is cheaper.
I disagree. I'd say it's easier for 95%, but not cheaper for them(i'd say cheaper for some, maybe 40% but not 95%).  That's where the extra cost is justified. People are willing to spend an extra $6 to save 7 minutes of their time. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not try to say it's cheaper when it's most likely not.  Honestly though this isn't a hill i care to die on and i'm just bored at work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top