Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2021 2:14:57 PM EDT
So, I am again considering a dual battery system. I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. If I am correct it has a 160 amp alternator.

Presently, the only addition I have done to the vehicle is a HAM Radio. Yaesu 8900.

I purchased a electric air horn from amazon and eventually going to install that I am positive that, that will not put me in the requirement of a second battery.
Amazon Link to horn
Link to video if interested in sound of it.

If I were to add a fridge, that might be pushing me closer to perhaps needing a dual battery maybe.

I have not installed any additional lights, though would like to.

Basic question, at what point is a secondary battery even needed.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you add an isolator, it allows you to run accessories off the second battery with the engine off while preserving the capacity of the first for starting or other functions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you add an isolator, it allows you to run accessories off the second battery with the engine off while preserving the capacity of the first for starting or other functions.
View Quote
I did forget about that point. Thank you for bringing that up.  But for how long?

I could see that for lighting and setting up a camp area perhaps... Anything else, I would think would be isolated to not needing the vehicle battery power.

This has me thinking about whether or not there is a transfer switch for a vehicle to go from alternator power to solar power in reference to a refrigerator.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I did forget about that point. Thank you for bringing that up.  But for how long?

I could see that for lighting and setting up a camp area perhaps... Anything else, I would think would be isolated to not needing the vehicle battery power.

This has me thinking about whether or not there is a transfer switch for a vehicle to go from alternator power to solar power in reference to a refrigerator.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long depends on the capacity of the battery, the size of the load, and how much capacity you can use (deep cycle vs standard starting battery.) You wouldn’t need a transfer switch, you could just add a solar charge controller to add solar capability.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t have direct experience with running extra equipment from a car, but I have researched it a bunch because I want to add a fridge, radio, box fan and lights in the near future.

The main factor I see is, when will the devices be used?  While motor is running or while it is not.  And how often will the motor be ran?

If you are working devices while the alternator is working, then not (as big) a big deal.

If you are parking the car with the engine OFF for 100’s of hours and expect to have the fridge / lights running, then you need an extra battery and solar.

One member just posted up how he was running a fridge in a suv in CA heat.  I would use that experience as a base line for what you want to do.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A link perhaps?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
yes

DC to DC charger

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Basic question, at what point is a secondary battery even needed.
View Quote

When you are at risk of running your primary battery down and might not be able to re-start your vehicle.

This is most likely to occur when drawing your battery when it is off via radio, winch, fridge, or whatever else you might have.

So in mine (2002 2500HD), my secondary battery can be isolated from the primary. In regular mode both batteries are connected, and both are getting charged. I can then isolate them, and run the second one down (winching, or most likely running fridge all day/night at a campsite, along with other things like chargers, radio etc), and still have a primary battery at 100% to start vehicle. At which point I un-isolate so the secondary can get re-charged.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
this is basically the only reason IMO.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A link perhaps?
View Quote

Here you go

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/I-have-seen-this-solar-question-asked-over-the-years-and-in-many-threads-/17-700522/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/What-solar-setup-solar-panels-are-you-using-to-charge-your-electronics-and-batteries-/17-700267/

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you'll have to do some reading Wednesday
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top