Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 8:46:15 PM EDT
I have an Astron RS-12S. It has a front built-in speaker. I have a radio that on 25 W it draws 7 A. I'm getting conflicting information on the web when I look up the Astron RS-12S specs. Does anyone know what is the max amps this unit can handle. The back of the power supply has a 3 amp fuse. Does this RS-12S only support 3 A? Or can it handle more?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Their names usually note the maximum current draw.  Their RS-20M is a 20 amp supply and the RS-35M is a 35 amp supply.  I'd be willing to bet an RS-12S has a max draw of 12 amps.

The 3 amp fuse is on the input, 3 amps @ 120 volts.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their names usually note the maximum current draw.  Their RS-20M is a 20 amp supply and the RS-35M is a 35 amp supply.  I'd be willing to bet an RS-12S has a max draw of 12 amps.

The 3 amp fuse is on the input, 3 amps @ 120 volts.
View Quote

This is good news.

Below the 3A fuse it says
115 VAC
60 hertz
300 watts
13.8 VDC

I wish they would have labeled the peak and continuous amps on the back of the unit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
RS-12S has an output rating of 9 amps continuous and 12 amps surge. Should run a 7 amp load easily.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, also back in the day when the power supplies had screw terminal posts I would just wrap the positive and negative negative leads around the screw terminals.

This Astron has screw on terminals with a hole in the middle. Do you think sticking the positive and negative leads into the hole would be as secure as just doing it the old-fashion way which is wrapping it around the post terminal?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The hole works much better than a wrap, that's why it's there.

Better still is to properly terminate your wires with an appropriately sized ring terminal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hole works much better than a wrap, that's why it's there.

Better still is to properly terminate your wires with an appropriately sized ring terminal.
View Quote

Yep, I might go the route of the ring terminal. I need to check if Home Depot has the correct size in stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top