Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
He was a legend in late night talk radio.

RIP Art
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
talked to him on 10meters back in 2014, mobile TS480HX

he made my kids laugh.

I didn't realize it was him until I got home and looked up W6OBB

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____Just_had_the_most_interesting_QSO_on_the_way_home_LOLOLOLOL/22-671812/?page=1

I SASE'ed him twice for a QSL card, and never got one.

RIP

Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for many nights of great radio, Art Bell.

I will miss you.

RIP
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
" East of the Rockies, you're on the air "  
RIP Art.  Thanks for the countless hours of late night entertainment
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Was listening to Coast To Coast when a crying George Noorey broke the news.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Used to listen to C2C-AM while Art was at the microphone. After George Noory took over, the program lost its appeal.

I never did run into him on the air. As I understood it, he was mostly on 75 Meters, and my mode is primarily CW.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What a shame.
He was fairly young.

I actually lived in Pahrump NV for several years and did work Art on 75 meters AM. I occasionally even saw him in the grocery store or in a restaurant around town. I drove right past his house to get to the place we used to spend a lot of time shooting.

As a paramedic and later a firefighter/paramedic in Las Vegas, I spent many a L O N G night listening to his show; initially when it was on a local station KDWN 720 AM and later when it became nationally syndicated as Coast to Coast AM. As a paramedic (before I became a firefighter), we didn't have stations. We just sat in the truck, in some parking lot waiting on the next call and that show really helped pass the time. And sparked a lot of good discussions. To people who never actually listened to the show, they thought the only thing on there was crazy/ridiculous stuff; but he frequently had some really good topics and interviewed some really interesting people. He often mentioned things he was doing or had done on ham radio and again, had more than a couple shows where he had a guest who was a ham and they discussed ham radio.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
R.I.P.

He used to hang on the 80 meter band quite often. Great guy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'm in the the minority, but other than the occasional post about him on this forum, I've never heard of the guy.

But then, the only time I stayed up all night, I was either working (flying) or chasing women.  I certainly wasn't listening to talk radio.  I don't even do that during the day.

Well anyway, RIP Art.

Q: What's the difference between a fighter pilot and an ape?
A:  An ape won't stay up all night trying to fuck a pig.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
" East of the Rockies, you're on the air "  
RIP Art.  Thanks for the countless hours of late night entertainment
View Quote
I can still hear that in his voice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess I never will get a QSL card from him.

RIP, Art.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess I never will get a QSL card from him.

RIP, Art.
View Quote
Nor did anyone else.

I SASED him twice and never got one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=art+bell+qsl+card&num=100&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsv4TB4LzaAhVFnq0KHWWcAkIQ_AUICygC&biw=1067&bih=729

Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe we should have done like I sometimes do with some new young hams, and bought him his first batch of QSL cards.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe we should have done like I sometimes do with some new young hams, and bought him his first batch of QSL cards.
View Quote
I have done that more than once.

Once it was to what appeared to be a rich MD to embarrass him into QSLing because I needed the state.

Hank Ellis gave me an idea and I got the state from someone else.

Several months later I got a card from him and $20.

FWIW an SASE and $1 ought to get a card sent out the following day or two with VERY few excuses for making things wait.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
You can listen to him here:

The very best of Art Bell

RIP W6OBB...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top