Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2018 6:52:21 PM EDT
I've been away from the tying game and fishing in general for a while. When I got out of it a decade ago the rotary vises were becoming a lot more common and more affordable. I looked at couple in the big sporting stores around my AO this week, shocked a rotary vise can be had for $50ish now.

Frankly I'm done with "A" style vises, I had an older US made one with jaws for different sized hooks, it was ok but not awesome.

Here in CO, I mostly fished high and or small streams, I've never caught anything with a hook much bigger than a 16, usually in the 20s. That probably isn't going to change anytime soon. So whatever vise I get needs to biased towards the little stuff.

At my level of tying and seriousness of angling, probably looking DPMS or PSA price range, not Noveske or POF.

Any recommendations?

TL;DR: Needs a lower priced (possibly rotary) vise for tying small-ass trout flies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
For small trout flies I would not waste my money on a rotary vice. Look up HMH Spartan and get a midge jaw. It will last the rest of your life. I still have my HMH Presentation vice from 30 years ago...
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I’ve never seen one of those.

One look at a picture of the micro or midge jaw shape and I’m sold. It was obviously made by someone who actually has tied small flies, not some dude in India/Pakistan making whatever he thinks will hold a small hook. It is cut away where I need access...

HMH’s website needs some serious help but then again it looks like they are focused on making a product that actually works.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#3]
That Spartan looks nice and a rotary is probably overkill for your type of tying. I primarily tie saltwater, though, and LOVE my Renzetti Saltwater Traveler. I use it for small trout flies for my annual trip with the guys but I don't use the rotary features on them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the HMH spartan vise.  It is a good solid vise that will last years.

I bought it from a local shop here years ago when I was learning to tie.   Even won a shirt once for knowing what 'HMH' stands for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the HMH spartan vise.  It is a good solid vise that will last years.

I bought it from a local shop here years ago when I was learning to tie.   Even won a shirt once for knowing what 'HMH' stands for.
View Quote
And it is????

My go to vice now that I am tying steelhead flies is the Regal. A great vice but I think the HMH is better for the small stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#6]
HMH stands for Hunters Mad House.  Bill Hunter designed and marketed the HMH vises and other tying gear until he sold the company.  He had a very well known fly fishing shop in the New England area and a lot of people tying flies for him. I believe Bill himself is known for his Atlantic Salmon flies.  The owner of the fly shop here (now closed, sadly) worked for Bill Hunter at one time and is an amazing tyer in his own right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually got to see a HMH Spartan at a local fly shop close to me yesterday. Very solid and well made.

Then the salesman showed me another vise (Peak) that is made a few hours north of me in Loveland CO. Even grabbed the midge jaws and stuck a size 24 hook in it for me to see clearance, it was pretty good. Price point is slightly lower than the HMH even with two set of jaws. They didn’t have the midge jaws for the Spartan on hand, but they look like they might have better clearance.

Lot of things have changed in tying in ten years, bobbins have gone high tech, they had one with adjustable drag...
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lot of things have changed in tying in ten years, bobbins have gone high tech, they had one with adjustable drag...
View Quote
Oh yeah. They're spendy but a dream to use.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually got to see a HMH Spartan at a local fly shop close to me yesterday. Very solid and well made.

Then the salesman showed me another vise (Peak) that is made a few hours north of me in Loveland CO. Even grabbed the midge jaws and stuck a size 24 hook in it for me to see clearance, it was pretty good. Price point is slightly lower than the HMH even with two set of jaws. They didn’t have the midge jaws for the Spartan on hand, but they look like they might have better clearance.

View Quote
Not familiar with Peak but if it is American made and looks solid give it a try. I’d love to hear about it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:50:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Renzetti Traveler.

J-
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Would anyone want to try albino hair for tieing a fly?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Renzetti Traveler.

J-
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an HMH Spartan, a Regal and an ancient Renzetti.  All are solid. The Spartan is spartan but it gets the job done.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not familiar with Peak but if it is American made and looks solid give it a try. I’d love to hear about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a peak rotary vise. The mid sized jaws are a pretty good compromise to start with but I did eventually end up buying both the Midge jaws and large jaws for tying bass and saltwater flies.

I love it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a Peak vice about 7 years ago and have really enjoyed it.  Seemed like a great bang-for-the-buck value at the time.  I picked up a set of the midge jaws and have tied down to size 26 with no problem.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Renzetti traveler, but the saltwater one since 2005...
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I started with a junky Herters vise, replaced it with a Thompson, experimented with an Indian-made abomination which broke in short order, and a year ago or so bought a Renzetti. The latter is very nice, and I'm happy with it, but not to sure about the "O-ring" it employs. Hasn't been a problem yet, but I've had trouble with O-rings getting hard and breaking on other equipment.

Haven't been able to fish much the last few years, but that will be changing soon! Gonna have to get the fly boxes filled up again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends on your budget but I'd recommend the Traveler or the Peak. I have both and do most of my tying on the Traveler. My son uses the Peak. Both great vices for ~$200 or less. I'd recommend looking at Craigs List as a lot of folks think they'll get into fly tying, buy the set up, realize it's challenging and sell it all. I picked up my current Traveler for $100 from a guy who used it once.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Another one for the Traveler. Mine has big jaws for tying saltwater flies though
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Renzetti Traveler (get the cam jaws).
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Renzetti Traveler,  I like the rotary feature, it's not absolutely necessary but comes in handy occasionally.

I use mine on everything from #2 streamers to #24 dry flies.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
It’s tough to beat the Renzetti Traveler up to a certain price point.  HMH would also be a wise choice.  When at home, I have two vises (LAW vise and a Norvise) set up across from each other for when a friend comes over and wants to tie.

Over the past dozen years, I’ve actually tied the most flies on a C & F Designs Marco Polo travel vise.  It’s a neat little portable vise that I’ve used while fishing on the road and tying in hotels, at friend’s houses, etc.  I wouldn’t recommend as your only vise for home though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top