Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2018 6:48:17 PM EDT
i run into alot of people who thinks its so crazy i go out ice fishing... when i ask why they are scared the ice will break

post your ice fishing photos  (GO)

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
When it is cold enough to make ice thick enough to walk on, it is too cold for me to be out on it. No fear, better sense.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah nope.

I'm perfectly happy fishing from a boat or bank.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you wait until the ice is thick enough it's a foolish fear.  Mind you - splitting time living in Phoenix and Thailand for 20 years my attitude is if it's cold enough to make ice outside it's time to move.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
We drive our trucks out to go ice fishing so I will say ....No I'm not scared
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Went out a couple days ago with son in law and my granddaughters.  Ice was 6 in. Or so.

First time I've been ice fishing in a couple years.  Nice to get out
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
View Quote
Hell yeah broski catch any nice eyes up that way?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#7]
Originally Posted By Cpatterson:
Hell yeah broski catch any nice eyes up that way?
View Quote
Honestly we catch some walleyes... but nothing like the monsters we catch in the spring

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Honestly we catch some walleyes... but nothing like the monsters we catch in the spring

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379420/FB_IMG_1524281665915_jpg-790554.JPG
View Quote
not gonna lie thats a nice one!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
When I want to ice fish, I go to the store and buy the fish on ice. On the other hand, no lakes down here ever freeze, so no ice fishing available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Depend.  Rivers and lakes with springs....not until there is a solid 10 inches.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
When the ice is thin I ride my quad out, when it is thick I drive my truck. Fishing is fun
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=trucks+falling+thru+ice&t=ffab&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

I'd rather put up with tornadoes. The odds are with me, 1 in 65 years.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tirod:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=trucks+falling+thru+ice&t=ffab&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

I'd rather put up with tornadoes. The odds are with me, 1 in 65 years.
View Quote
Lol, I haven't dumped the truck in the lake yet (52 yrs) YET.

Although buddies of mine have
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone here use an auger powered by cordless drill?  Curious as to how many 8" holes through a foot or so of ice you can auger.

I have an 8" gas powered Jiffy.  But a lightweight cordless drill powered auger sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Anyone here use an auger powered by cordless drill?  Curious as to how many 8" holes through a foot or so of ice you can auger.

I have an 8" gas powered Jiffy.  But a lightweight cordless drill powered auger sounds interesting.
View Quote
I have buddies that have them and like them... but honestly if I was going to get another one it would be LP gas cylinder one
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I will not ice fish. I think of it kinda like I do sky diving.

Do the parachutes open 99.999999% of the time? Yep. Still not doing it.

You’ll never see a headline stating Dsteelman died falling thru the ice in a freak ice fishing accident .
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#17]

I have buddies that have them and like them... but honestly if I was going to get another one it would be LP gas cylinder one
View Quote
Not going to work.  My milwaukee hammer drill (2602-20) is only 525 in-lbs.   The K-drill folks recommend something over 725 in- lbs as a minimum especially for 8" holes.  By the time you buy a new drill and the auger parts you might just as well go propane. I thought it might make for a reasonably innexpensive way to get an auger set up as I have a 1/2" Milwaukee drill and 3 battery packs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The reason to spend the money on the Kdrill, Eskimo Pistol Bit, or Nils with a high end brushless cordless drill is the weight savings.  Propane augers are heavy.  I have an Eskimo HC40 8" propane, and absolutely love it, but it's on the heavy side for 8" augers.  Take that into consideration.  The guys on the fringes of the ice belt, or those that consistently have to walk out to their spots will find out the weight savings for the cordless drill augers is beneficial.  Also, you can get good sized fish up through 6" holes, so unless you're always pulling up huge lakers or pike, consider going with a 6" bit as you'll be cutting half the ice vs. 8" bit.

Ice has been very inconsistent here in Sodak this season.  Northeastern SD has pretty good ice with many driving their trucks out now.  Down here in the southeastern part of the state, we've had some really cold nights followed up by 3-4 really warm days which has caused a lot of spots to stay open.  We also had a ton of waterfowl, mainly snow geese, stay on the lakes keeping holes open during our first deep freeze.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tornadochaser] [#19]
oh...and OP wanted to see some pictures!  I don't have many on my work PC, but here's a few randoms.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Find the frogs and you'll find big walleyes.  Especially near cattails during daytime.

Attachment Attached File

Was on 12" of good clear ice on a bay of the missouri river.  other side of the main channel below the dam was ice free allowing boats to put in on the ramp.  A little surreal but we hammered the sauger.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Did some scrounging.  I have an old Mora 8", and was actually able to break the auger loose from the handle.  Ordered an 18v Milwaukee drill with 1200 in-lbs torque, which uses the batteries I already have, Cabelas has an adaptor that attaches to old style Mora threads (15mm x 1.5 mm pitch).  So I guess we'll see.   If we get any ice.

I have a 10" jiffy gas auger, it will be interesting to compare.

Nice pics, hoping to get out soon.  Hopefully auger parts and pieces will be here this week.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Last week, 150 mi se from here.  We're a bit short on cold this year, lots of open water and bad ice out there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Never really been my thing, yeah I am leary of the ice breaking but also being out there in the freezing cold doesn't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
No ice around here
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dsteelman:
I will not ice fish. I think of it kinda like I do sky diving.

Do the parachutes open 99.999999% of the time? Yep. Still not doing it.

You’ll never see a headline stating Dsteelman died falling thru the ice in a freak ice fishing accident .
View Quote
Car brakes don't work 100% of the time...you prob shouldn't drive over 5mph.

We take the 3/4ton diesel trucks with 20 foot ice castles behind us out on the ice...of course, there's usually 25-40 inches of ice or more.  I've been on ice thing enough that when see your buddy walking 100 feet away you can see the bow in the ice and water gushes up through the hole when you break through with the auger.  I don't enjoy thin ice like that...but sometimes it happens.  You take precautions, have a plan, and fish with a buddy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Not going to work.  My milwaukee hammer drill (2602-20) is only 525 in-lbs.   The K-drill folks recommend something over 725 in- lbs as a minimum especially for 8" holes.  By the time you buy a new drill and the auger parts you might just as well go propane. I thought it might make for a reasonably innexpensive way to get an auger set up as I have a 1/2" Milwaukee drill and 3 battery packs.
View Quote
We've had problems with the propane getting too cold.  Anything below -10 or so, and they don't like to run because there's not enough pressure in the can....the liquid doesn't boil off fast enough apparently.  This might not be a problem most places....but northern MN it's a problem.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

We've had problems with the propane getting too cold.  Anything below -10 or so, and they don't like to run because there's not enough pressure in the can....the liquid doesn't boil off fast enough apparently.  This might not be a problem most places....but northern MN it's a problem.
View Quote
I've had zero issues with my Eskimo propane auger.  Fished 4 days straight a few weeks back with highs at -5 to -10, lows to -25, auger sat outside all 4 days.  Never took more than 2 pulls to start, on a tank that was less than half full.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm more scared of the cold than I am of the ice.  Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

View Quote
Bought the 1200 in lb Milwaukee drill (model 2804) and 2 5ah batteries. Drilled 14 holes through 12" of ice using the old 8" mora auger, it used 1 bar on the 5ah battery. Cabelas sells an adaptor that threads right onto the old style mora threads. I didn't time it but it was under a 10 count to drill a hole. Looks like a winner.  We still have the old 10" gas auger for backup.

Do you use a flasher?  Seems instead of being minimalist ice fishing has gone high tech, with underwater cameras and flashers or finders and specialized transducers being the norm.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#29]
You haven't lived until you hear the constant cracking of ice beneath your $50K truck...

Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:04:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: madwis15] [#30]
Nope. it's too boring. I have far more fun racing iceboats.

I live on a bay that is first to freeze and first to thaw. I'm amazed every year when I see some fool out there a day or two after the initial freeze and the ice is less than an inch thick. or at the end of the season when a stubborn one is out at the edge of the ice chatting with a guy in a fishing boat that's pulled up to the edge of the ice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#31]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379420/FB_IMG_1524281665915_jpg-790554.JPG
View Quote
Lake Winnebago?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Never been but it is on my bucket list!
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you guys only fish live bait or do you ice fish some soft plastics?  Can you give examples.of your soft plastics baits?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I use some soft plastics for panfish, mainly perch and bluegill.
Custom Jigs & Spins, VMC, & Impulse mostly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
When it is cold enough to make ice thick enough to walk on, it is too cold for me to be out on it. No fear, better sense.
View Quote
There's that FPNI thing again
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I race iceboats on those same lakes, so no, I'm not scared to be out on a frozen lake.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#37]
Edit~Ussrangersm
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]
The ice doesn't get thick enough here to go out on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#39]
This is about 18 miles out on Lake of the Woods. Ice was roughly 36”.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Been waiting on the lakes here in Texas to freeze over.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#43]
If they do freeze over and you can fish on them, Maybe I’ll start to buy in to global warming
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Backnblack:
If they do freeze over and you can fish on them, Maybe I’ll start to buy in to global warming
We got 1/8" to 1/4" of snow 2 years ago for about 6 hours, people still have PTSD from it...
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#44]
We got 1/8" to 1/4" of snow 2 years ago for about 6 hours, people still have PTSD from it...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yeah people start acting crazy when all the bread disappears off the grocery store shelves.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
I just went that direction. 20 volt 1/2 drill with clamshell conversion. A friend has one. It works great
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#46]
We have around 12 inches of ice in the metro. I drag my house until there is closer to two feet, that way I can skip leg day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top