Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2019 2:20:38 PM EDT
In last 5 years I've purchased over 25 game cameras.  I used everything from cheap $20 Tasco/Simmons to $100 Primos to $200 Moultrie and most units only lasted couple months.  Every unit seems to leak moisture eventually and they start to malfunction and then die.  I had couple of Simmons die within 2 or 3 weeks and couple of expensive Moultrie units only lasted 4 or 5 months.  Only units that lasted long time were pair of old model Moultrie Trace units that lasted 3 years and second one that still works after 4 years but these old units are no longer available and the new model only lasted few months.  Any f you guys find a unit that's durable and last long time?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Knock on wood, but I’ve had good luck out of all of mine.

My Stealth cams are my best cheap ones
My Browning is my favorite one
My Wildgame Innovations ones work, but I won’t ever buy anymore.

All of mine have been going strong about 2 years, some going year round.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Browning is the answer, most reviews also rate them at or near the top.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I think mine are all three Stealth Cams. Last I checked they were working.  They are going on 3 or 4 years now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have several brands currently in the woods, Moultrie, Wildgame Innovations, Stealth, and Primos.  So far I like Moultrie best.  I have a Moultrie that is so old its running on C-cells and still taking good pictures.  The newer Moutries also seem to have better battery life over the other brands I am running
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It may be how your mounting them...the ones that go bad for us usually have water intrusion.  Generally water gets in if they are not oriented properly so water sheds away from the seals.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Exodus offers a 5 year warranty on theirs.

Some guys place silica packs inside the camera to help absorb moisture.

Keep them shaded as much as possible too, pointing either north or south, to help limit direct sunlight hitting the sensor cover.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m on my 4th season on my Stealthcam G42NG’s. I put them out about August, change the batteries at the end of December and pick them up in April. During hunting season I change the cards every time I’m in the woods.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
My Moultrie has been going strong for about 2 years. Happy with it. New Hunter so don't have much more data to share.

The only thing about my Moultrie - it sometimes has a card error after you remove and reinstall (when checking pictures). If you don't watch the screen and see the error, it won't capture pictures. All I have to do is reset the card and that fixes the issue
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:11:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seemed to have the best luck with Stealth Cam, and they have a pretty decent trigger speed and take a good quality of picture.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had my current crop of Browning cams for 5 years...some of them 7.  All still work.  Although being that old, the picture quality isn't as good as the current cams.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Browning Strike Force seems to always get good reviews. Check out here and here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Reconyx... that pic is from 2013 (two red tailed hawks fighting over a doe carcass)and that camera is still going strong.  I have 5-6 going for years and only had one issue and it was quickly resolved.

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Just went to my lease. One of my Moultrie cameras randomly stopped taking pictures for no apparent reason. Plenty of battery and storage space
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
seems to leak moisture eventually and they start to malfunction and then die.
View Quote
Stop by your favorite drugstore and ask them for those little moisture drying packets. The one I went to the druggist was about to toss them out when I asked. Free and useful to put inside your game cams.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had good luck with Exodus cams so far.

https://youtu.be/OHgwAIol8ZI
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Dangit, I need one that's woodpecker-proof   ...
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a cheap Moultrie (A-series ?) on black Friday, it's not bad (pic below) and has been out most of the winter, but I really like my Bushnell Trophy because it takes 1-3 pics and then a video. It's been out for a couple years without any problems.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had a couple Moultrie cams running (880i?)  for 5 years.  I've always used the steel lock boxes, and I think that helps.  The pictures are still OK.  When these die I'll upgrade to whatever the newer version is.  Seems like no matter what brand/model, someone either loves or hates them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got some use out of my Browning cameras, but for LTE cams I like the Covert Code Blacks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I got 5 of the cheap stealth cams.  Couldn't tell u the model.  They are all either 10, 12 or 14 megapixel.  This is only the 2nd year but seem fine.  I put them out the other day and usually pick them up around November before our big gun season opens cause I hunt public land.  I love them. They are cheaper models I usually catch on sale for 50-60 dollars.  Bh photo has the cheapest memory cards too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#21]
My wild game innovations worked good until it got stolen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Very good luck with Browning cameras. Not 100% but better than 87%.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 4 wildgame innovations 12 megapixel cameras that I bought at Walmart for 19 bucks with batteries and cards included
they have taken thousands of pictures since I put them out in December. I have had to replace the batteries n 3 of them.
I bought 8 cloak 14s for 17 dollars each and gave 4 of the to a friend and he has no problems with them either. he put them out in march.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Browning...period. Great day time pics, great night time pics, good video, easy to use, INCREDIBLE battery life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top