BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're right, in the sense that I have more than that loaded.

But I don't agree if that premise is really based on the thought that "otherwise one day some bad guy might kill you" while you are out of loaded magazines.  Unless one's arms room is intended to support multiple people with multiple weapons, 50 loaded magazines for emergency use represents a rationale that is pretty far from reality, to the point of SHTF fantasy.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more M4 magazines than an entire US Army 9-man infantry squad carries into combat.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more than 7 times what a US soldier individually carries into combat.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more than 10 times what the M4 is designed to fire at once in rapid succession.  Per Ground Precautionary Message ACALA #97-03: "FIRING 140 ROUNDS, RAPIDLY AND CONTINUOUSLY, WILL RAISE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE BARREL TO THE COOK-OFF POINT."  Will that happen every time?  No, but it happens enough to warrant recognizing you are exceeding the design of the weapon- and exceeding it by 10x is almost certain to lead to disaster.  Watch what happens here- after about a dozen magazines (and I'm certain he would have had cook-offs if the rounds had been left chambered without immediately firing them, too).  While the reporting on incidents like Wanat and others is not very accurate and intentionally inflammatory, there is a core nugget of truth there- NO individual assault rifle (much less our civilian not-an-assault rifle) is designed or capable of that level of mass firing over a short period of time.  12-15 rounds per minute is the sustained rate of fire- which equates to well over an hour-and-a-half of constant firing with those 1,500 rounds.  I guess you could fire up the WayBack Machine and head to Rourke's Drift for that scenario...

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world would mean 1,500 rounds fired individually on a two-way live fire range.  If you think you have a 99.9 to 0.1 outcome advantage over your adversaries, even those odds catch up you before you get through 1,500 rounds.  And unless you're facing one-at-a-time, single file, slow moving adversaries armed with pointy sticks you will never enjoy a 99.9 to 0.1 outcome advantage in an engagement.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents 50 more magazines than would be in an emergency ammunition resupply to unit in contact that is black on ammo.  Even the mil does not believe in stocking and providing mass quantities of loaded magazines.  I've seen ammo crates rolled out of helicopters under those circumstances- and the receiving unit used that ammo, on stripper clips, to reload the on-hand magazines.  Pre-loaded magazines just aren't a priority or need.

Don't get me wrong- I absolutely believe in stocking ammo and magazines.  I certainly do myself.  I carry more than the issued 7 when overseas, for that matter.

But believing you must have mass quantities of loaded magazines ready for instant use for repelling boarders or any other SHTF scenario is just not reasonable or reality-based.  Most folks would be better off spending time, money, space, and energy on other things long before that point in terms of their own SHTF preps.
You do you, no problem, and no adversarial feelings or conflict on this end.  I simply wanted to point out a counter argument for the possible benefit of others in this thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
50 loaded 30-rd mags really ain't that many mags.
You're right, in the sense that I have more than that loaded.

But I don't agree if that premise is really based on the thought that "otherwise one day some bad guy might kill you" while you are out of loaded magazines.  Unless one's arms room is intended to support multiple people with multiple weapons, 50 loaded magazines for emergency use represents a rationale that is pretty far from reality, to the point of SHTF fantasy.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more M4 magazines than an entire US Army 9-man infantry squad carries into combat.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more than 7 times what a US soldier individually carries into combat.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more than 10 times what the M4 is designed to fire at once in rapid succession.  Per Ground Precautionary Message ACALA #97-03: "FIRING 140 ROUNDS, RAPIDLY AND CONTINUOUSLY, WILL RAISE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE BARREL TO THE COOK-OFF POINT."  Will that happen every time?  No, but it happens enough to warrant recognizing you are exceeding the design of the weapon- and exceeding it by 10x is almost certain to lead to disaster.  Watch what happens here- after about a dozen magazines (and I'm certain he would have had cook-offs if the rounds had been left chambered without immediately firing them, too).  While the reporting on incidents like Wanat and others is not very accurate and intentionally inflammatory, there is a core nugget of truth there- NO individual assault rifle (much less our civilian not-an-assault rifle) is designed or capable of that level of mass firing over a short period of time.  12-15 rounds per minute is the sustained rate of fire- which equates to well over an hour-and-a-half of constant firing with those 1,500 rounds.  I guess you could fire up the WayBack Machine and head to Rourke's Drift for that scenario...

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world would mean 1,500 rounds fired individually on a two-way live fire range.  If you think you have a 99.9 to 0.1 outcome advantage over your adversaries, even those odds catch up you before you get through 1,500 rounds.  And unless you're facing one-at-a-time, single file, slow moving adversaries armed with pointy sticks you will never enjoy a 99.9 to 0.1 outcome advantage in an engagement.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents 50 more magazines than would be in an emergency ammunition resupply to unit in contact that is black on ammo.  Even the mil does not believe in stocking and providing mass quantities of loaded magazines.  I've seen ammo crates rolled out of helicopters under those circumstances- and the receiving unit used that ammo, on stripper clips, to reload the on-hand magazines.  Pre-loaded magazines just aren't a priority or need.

Don't get me wrong- I absolutely believe in stocking ammo and magazines.  I certainly do myself.  I carry more than the issued 7 when overseas, for that matter.

But believing you must have mass quantities of loaded magazines ready for instant use for repelling boarders or any other SHTF scenario is just not reasonable or reality-based.  Most folks would be better off spending time, money, space, and energy on other things long before that point in terms of their own SHTF preps.
You do you, no problem, and no adversarial feelings or conflict on this end.  I simply wanted to point out a counter argument for the possible benefit of others in this thread
And then there are other school of thought  - entirely feasible, entirely rational.

'Why you need 1000 Loaded Mags.'
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3Jm8HbHKU

Makes my 50 look like, ah, 3 ... Word to the wise.

Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to come up with the right way to do this myself. I currently have a pelican case that's loaded with mags, but that's a lot of bulky protection for something that's both not delicate and not often moved. I don't think I'll need a million rounds, but realistically, If I have to store both ammo and mags, it takes up much less room if I put the ammo IN the mags.

one thing that also struck home was the Texas church shooting. We all know the good guy stopped the bad guy with a rifle. but I was reading he was running out of the house, loading a single mag with loose ammo as he went, and ended up either running dry or damn near. I'm not interested in that situation, so all my grab-and-gos will be loaded up and there will be a spare mag or 3 waiting in my truck if need be, or an easy to grab go bag
View Quote
Strangely, it never occurred to me to store ammo in the mags until you just mentioned it.  I am so stupid.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I like to have 10 loaded mags per rifle. 5 rifles (of equal setup) set around different spots. Why? Because it seems cool and could be practical.

Another 50 loaded mags that you can quickly take and throw in the car if you have to go. Not for you, but to spread to your squad.

Loose ammo in cans, the goal would be 5000.

I do not have anywhere near any of these goals. I am a poor law student
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Strangely, it never occurred to me to store ammo in the mags until you just mentioned it.  I am so stupid.
View Quote
@houstonmedic it took me more than a decade, so don't feel bad. I figure I always load mags before a range trip, and it clears up space. why not load them today for whenever they are needed?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of mine are in the safe, half of them are loaded, the rest are still packaged.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
...why not load them today for whenever they are needed?
View Quote
Because different rifles are for different things, and set up differently.  Just in my 20" ARs, some are set up for and shoot M855, some are set up for and shoot M855A1, some are set up for and shoot M193, and a few are set up for other loads (like Hornady VMAX).  Yes, every rifle has some loaded mags with it, and more stored not with the rifle but nearby, to the total tune of much more than 50 total loaded AR mags.  But WAY more of my mags and ammo than that represents is kept in "storage mode", meaning ammo in cans in the appropriate storage area and mags stored variously as I've already described.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because different rifles are for different things, and set up differently.  Just in my 20" ARs, some are set up for and shoot M855, some are set up for and shoot M855A1, some are set up for and shoot M193, and a few are set up for other loads (like Hornady VMAX).  Yes, every rifle has some loaded mags with it, and more stored not with the rifle but nearby, to the total tune of much more than 50 total loaded AR mags.  But WAY more of my mags and ammo than that represents is kept in "storage mode", meaning ammo in cans in the appropriate storage area and mags stored variously as I've already described.
View Quote
fair, but I set my rifles up for about the same purpose, and don't keep anything that won't print 4" at 100 yards or so with cheap ammo. I don't have specific hunting ammo or anything crazy, so any of my ARs will shoot any of the ammo i have handy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@houstonmedic it took me more than a decade, so don't feel bad. I figure I always load mags before a range trip, and it clears up space. why not load them today for whenever they are needed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely ... And it doesn't matter whether it's 10, 50 ... or 1K mags. Keep 'em loaded!
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I keep mine loaded in my safe, on the shelf inside.  I'd like to be able to store them in my plate carriers, but all my standard capacity mags are pre-2k and grandfathered in under Kommiefornia law, and therefore irreplaceable in the event of theft or fire.  I'm looking at getting another safe anyway, so I may keep my PCs with mags in the new safe.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I sewed some duffel bags that fit about 50 AR magazines each. They work great for me. Pistol magazines live in pistol cases since I don't have a lot of spares.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I would live something like this:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Right now they are all just on a shelving unit, but Id like to find some sort of a bandoleer for 30 round mags.

Lugging large totes full of mags seems kinda stupid to me. Need be right now Id prob throw them in a duffel bag or pack to keep my hands free.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Right now they are all just on a shelving unit, but Id like to find some sort of a bandoleer for 30 round mags.
View Quote
There are lots of bandoliers out there for this.  The current issue ones hold 6 mags and are easily available for less than $4, but an even cheaper alternative is the OD cloth bandoliers that mil ammo comes in on stripper clips.  You can pull the white string, and then have a cheap 30-rd mag bandolier.

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a bunch of these. They are not very efficient with space. But make transporting them easy. And they are very durable, and Made in the USA.

Amazon Product
  • Designed to hold 20 or 30 round 223/5.56 AR15 magazines in precut foam padding
  • Stackable design and triple padlock tabbed for security
  • Water-resistant O-ring seal for dry storage; Non-submersible

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Maxpedition Active Shooter bag + +

Add pouches to the molle for a nice range bag.

You can carry eye and ear pro and have a dump bag.

ETA I have 400 rounds in P Mags in this Grab and Go bag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Thirty 30 rounders fit in a fat 50 can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
one thing that also struck home was the Texas church shooting. We all know the good guy stopped the bad guy with a rifle. but I was reading he was running out of the house, loading a single mag with loose ammo as he went, and ended up either running dry or damn near. I'm not interested in that situation, so all my grab-and-gos will be loaded up and there will be a spare mag or 3 waiting in my truck if need be, or an easy to grab go bag
View Quote
After that incident I bought several of those.

One sits on top of my safe with a seventh mag on top of it.
Several others in go bags,vehicles,etc.

That was a significant data point.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Desert_AIP you bought several of what?

the other thing that's resonated with me was again in Texas when an SUV got stuck in water with a baby in the back in a cars seat. Someone was screaming "does anyone have a knife?!?!"
scared the hell out of me. There's now a Resque Me quick detached to every car seat, and I will not be without a knife once I'm dressed in gym shorts or better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the other thing that's resonated with me was again in Texas when an SUV got stuck in water with a baby in the back in a cars seat. Someone was screaming "does anyone have a knife?!?!"
scared the hell out of me. There's now a Resque Me quick detached to every car seat, and I will not be without a knife once I'm dressed in gym shorts or better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I tried to shorten the quote tree and trimmed too much.

These 3 pocket bandoleers.

Shroud line cutters in cars is an excellent idea. I have my EDC Spyderco with the half serrated blade, and a shroudline cutter in my large med kit.
Having one in each car is a good idea.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top