Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
28 loaded in a fat 50 for range transport
https://i.imgur.com/pPhmqSA.jpg
some in my chest rig
View Quote
Come on, you can squeeze another 3-6 in there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
28 loaded in a fat 50 for range transport
https://i.imgur.com/pPhmqSA.jpg
some in my chest rig
View Quote
I was going to post this as well.

Fat 50 cans work great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bunch still in wrappers in a few boxes.

Loaded ones in ammo can.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was going to post this as well.

Fat 50 cans work great.
View Quote
Same here, but I'm getting to the age where humping fat50s is a royal PITA.

I understand that it beats the alternative, but still.
I'm bugging in, them fuckers can come to me, someone has to hold the ridge as rear guard while the womens and chillrens get away with the main group.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Pelican 1150 for Pmags, 1200 for GI mags:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Might not be the most cost effective solution, but it's a way to easily carry loaded mags without an ammo can.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
^
wow!  those are a perfect fit.
How did that happen to work out?!?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
20mm ammo can. Holds about 90 GI mags.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Container store , garage storage containers. The sad news is I think they have been discontinued
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Rubbermaid totes.  Not pretty but you can toss a lot in them or stack even more.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Cabela's plastic ammo cans. Holds about 30 AR mags- PMags, Troy Battlemags, aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a large amount amount of my mags stored in my Grandfathers WW2 footlocker. The rest are in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been slowly designing some 3D printed racks. They aren't ideal (yet) but they will allow me to store in different orientations without a container.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a few of the ikea cube shelves in my gun room. Each cube has mags for different guns (ar,ak,10/22,pistols)

The rest are niw in boxes.

I also have mags in my range bags

And mags laying around the house.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been slowly designing some 3D printed racks. They aren't ideal (yet) but they will allow me to store in different orientations without a container.
View Quote
I'd like to see that when you are done.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Not able to take a picture, but I have a couple of tool drawers dedicated to my AR, AK, and FAL/M1A mags.  It's a two cabinet set with a laminated wood top, each have five massive drawers and the drawers are about 2.5x3 feet and about 8" deep (freaking massive).  It's a massive PITA to move, but works excellent for bulk storage while easily accessible.  I also have an older Army field desk for storing odd mags, and a another table-top tool box with several drawers for various pistol mags.  The Pelican storage (1200) is perfect for the grab-and-go storage option.  Of course, some are still in wrappers in shipping boxes...most of my ammo cans have ammo in them

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cabela's plastic ammo cans. Holds about 30 AR mags- PMags, Troy Battlemags, aluminum.
View Quote
That's what I do. I had a bunch of leftovers from bulk ammo purchases and a few I bought when I couldn't source decent ammo cans at a reasonable price. They all ended up getting packed with Pmags.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Some people just have a duffle bag of mags for the range, grab a few mags for range trip or some might want to take the whole bag.  By duffle bag I am talking about anything from gym bag to whatever fits your needs.

You can play around on amazon and elsewhere and find where someone makes foam inserts for ammo cans to hold mags.  More common for 30cal and 50 cal ammo cans and pistols and their mags though.

Some people take all their old alice gear and assemble a belt full of mag holders and you wind up with a monster belt that has a ton of mags.  Not something to really wear, just uses what you have around.

The 20mm can full of loaded mags is getting to where you might have trouble moving it.  Lot of folks have one of these for when the load mags while watching red dawn or something else in their man cave.

Clint Smith has a vid where he talks about 100 loaded mags.  He has mags in a storage tote under the bed, pushed back so it is not visible but grab rope and pull and here come loaded mags.  He has a milk crate of mags in the tool box in the bed of his truck I think.

I like what is commonly called a gas mask bag by a lot of folks selling surplus gear.  Good size and what not

I never find fat 50 ammo cans locally, also don't look all that hard.  I never bothered to buy any off the net either.  So to some extent what you use will be determined by what you want to do.

The nice thing about the pelican stuff is someone just figures it is electronics or a camera or something, does not scream out loaded mags.

As I have upgraded coolers I have some old junky coolers that are kind of just becoming storage totes.

And last but not least, play on google images or pinterest.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy crap.  GI's, in 3 mag surplus pouches. 20 rounders, in a corrugated fiberboard box that holds either 10 standing and 2 butt-to-butt, or 6 30rd Pmags and a 20, have some 30 Pmags in a Galati GLMP shoulder pouch (holds 6), also some 40 Pmags in same product for the 40's.

Each option is portable to grab, go, and each has 90-240 rds.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Walmart totes, Cabela's ammo boxes, loose in the gun safe, grab 4-6 for the range bag, 3-4 in the gun case pockets, and 10 pmags still in plastic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess I'm way behind the curve... I have a GI bandoleer loaded on stripper clips and guides for hurricane evacuation... but only a couple loaded mags co-located with the ARs and Glocks... I'm primarily a competition oriented guy, so don't leave many magazines of any type loaded
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Plus 1 on the .50 cal ammo can.  You can fit 28 mags in these in rows of 7, plus another 2 along the edge for an easy to remember 30 per can.

Military grade ammo cans have the water proof seal and are crush proof and stackable.  And they will last forever unlike the box store plastic totes.

With the handle on top they are easy to grab and go if you have to bug out.  30 loaded USGI mags means 30(+) lbs.  Not something you want to jump around, but not unreasonable.

If I remember right, the narrow 40mm cans fit AK mags pretty snuggly.   Those are bigger/longer than the .50 cal cans though, so handling would not be as easy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a duffel bag full of mags
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I guess I'm way behind the curve... I have a GI bandoleer loaded on stripper clips and guides for hurricane evacuation... but only a couple loaded mags co-located with the ARs and Glocks... I'm primarily a competition oriented guy, so don't leave many magazines of any type loaded
View Quote
Dude, seriously?

"Competition-orientated guys" are usually the first to die during a violent SHTF event, or even a simple home invasion, because the bad guy(s) shoot them while they're still desperately struggling to load their AR mags ... you know, for that 25lb "competition" AR locked in the safe.

Dude - keep all your AR mags loaded at all times.

If you're afraid your springs will go weak, you need to upgrade your mags  - I'd recommend keeping 50 loaded MagPul PMags stored somewhere they're immediately accessible.

Stock up now on mags and ammo while we're still in the "Trump Slump" on pricing   -  not to mention availability.

Otherwise one day some bad guy might kill you, and afterward, standing over you, he'll say, .. "Gawd, was dat dude a slow loader or wut?"
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dude, seriously?

"Competition-orientated guys" are usually the first to die during a violent SHTF event, or even a simple home invasion, because the bad guy(s) shoot them first while they're desperately struggling to load their AR mags ... you know, for that 25lb "competition" AR locked in the safe.

If you're afraid your springs will go weak, you need to upgrade your mags  - I'd recommend keeping 50 loaded MagPul PMags stored somewhere immediately accessible.

Stock up now on mags and ammo while we're still in the "Trump Slump" on pricing   -  not to mention availability.

Otherwise one day some bad guy might kill you, and afterward, standing over you, he'll say, .. "Gawd, was dat dude a slow loader or wut?"
View Quote
50 mags?

That’s a lot of bad guys
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to use the cabelas plastic boxes, but they've cracked over time. Now it's 40mm cans, two rows of mags, then stack some on top.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dude, seriously?

"Competition-orientated guys" are usually the first to die during a violent SHTF event, or even a simple home invasion, because the bad guy(s) shoot them while they're still desperately struggling to load their AR mags
View Quote
Source?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#30]
The fat 50 cans are great for storing 28 to 30 loaded mags at different locations so you have stashes of both mags and ammo in a compact water resistant box.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#31]
milk crates
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Source?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, seriously?

"Competition-orientated guys" are usually the first to die during a violent SHTF event, or even a simple home invasion, because the bad guy(s) shoot them while they're still desperately struggling to load their AR mags
Source?
Ah, 'kay, ...

badguys.net
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a wide mix of mag storage solutions.

Some are still in their wrappers, in large boxes.  Because I remember 1994...

Some are toted about in cans for use, as others have already shown.

Some are stored in shelf components in the gun room, like in this pic (not mine):

And some are mounted on the door and spare wall areas of the gun room, using MagStorage Solutions.

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#34]

If you're afraid your springs will go weak, you need to upgrade your mags  - I'd recommend keeping 50 loaded MagPul PMags stored somewhere they're immediately accessible.

View Quote
If you have a suitable amount to keep all your mags loaded at all times, you should buy more mags until that plan becomes absurd.

But I certainly agree with the stocking up advice.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#35]
My extras get stashed in an ammo can
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a wide mix of mag storage solutions.

Some are still in their wrappers, in large boxes.  Because I remember 1994...

Some are toted about in cans for use, as others have already shown.

Some are stored in shelf components in the gun room, like in this pic (not mine):
http://www.filingsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/u-rack-mult-b.jpg

And some are mounted on the door and spare wall areas of the gun room, using MagStorage Solutions.

http://magstoragesolutions.com/magupdate_files/vlb_images3/photo_3.jpg
View Quote
I think we need to be friends.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you have a suitable amount to keep all your mags loaded at all times, you should buy more mags until that plan becomes absurd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dude, 50 loaded 30-rd mags really ain't that many mags.

But I certainly agree with the stocking up advice.
Yeah, there's no downside to that  - especially now. Why wait for the next Obummer/Hillcrat?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Totes.
Or the carboard boxes they came in.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I only keep 30 or so loaded ones around, 20 are usgi and they are loaded up on a DCU USGI vest that only has mag pouches. Yeah it's oldschool but it works. The others are all 40 rd PMAG with +5 extensions. If I need to grab a 4 pack of those it's because there was a bump in the night that needed more than a P226 357SIG.

I see no use in being worried about shooting prone. I have ZERO 30rd PMAGS in use. (yes some in storage). If there was a reliable 40 or 45 rd curved AR mag made out of AL, I would have been using it already.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#40]
1)Grab and go are by the rifles and four more in the BOB
2) 16 are in two vests
3) 6 in the range bag, so I can keep my plinking ammo from other stuff
4) Mil ammo cans everything else

oh, and yeah, a bunch in the rifle mag wells
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Naw, sounds like you need more ammo.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Naw, sounds like you need more ammo.
View Quote
I'm in the ammo fort thread- I think my stock is pretty good.  More than ten years ago, I had more ammo at my house than we had on the battalion-sized infantry FOB I was stationed on overseas.  And I've gotten a lot more since then.  

But you're right anyway- I always need more ammo.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:...
"Competition-orientated guys" are usually the first to die during a violent SHTF event, or even a simple home invasion, because the bad guy(s) shoot them while they're still desperately struggling to load their AR mags ... you know, for that 25lb "competition" AR locked in the safe.
View Quote
you're obviously pulling that straight out of thin air, your imagination, or your ass
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Dude, seriously?

View Quote
Never really thought of it like that. I think that was the wake up call I needed. Thanks @Nick_Adams.

Youd recommend PMAGs over metal OKAY mags?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#45]
50 loaded 30-rd mags really ain't that many mags.
View Quote
You're right, in the sense that I have more than that loaded.

But I don't agree if that premise is really based on the thought that "otherwise one day some bad guy might kill you" while you are out of loaded magazines.  Unless one's arms room is intended to support multiple people with multiple weapons, 50 loaded magazines for emergency use represents a rationale that is pretty far from reality, to the point of SHTF fantasy.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more M4 magazines than an entire US Army 9-man infantry squad carries into combat.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more than 7 times what a US soldier individually carries into combat.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents more than 10 times what the M4 is designed to fire at once in rapid succession.  Per Ground Precautionary Message ACALA #97-03: "FIRING 140 ROUNDS, RAPIDLY AND CONTINUOUSLY, WILL RAISE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE BARREL TO THE COOK-OFF POINT."  Will that happen every time?  No, but it happens enough to warrant recognizing you are exceeding the design of the weapon- and exceeding it by 10x is almost certain to lead to disaster.  Watch what happens here- after about a dozen magazines (and I'm certain he would have had cook-offs if the rounds had been left chambered without immediately firing them, too).  While the reporting on incidents like Wanat and others is not very accurate and intentionally inflammatory, there is a core nugget of truth there- NO individual assault rifle (much less our civilian not-an-assault rifle) is designed or capable of that level of mass firing over a short period of time.  12-15 rounds per minute is the sustained rate of fire- which equates to well over an hour-and-a-half of constant firing with those 1,500 rounds.  I guess you could fire up the WayBack Machine and head to Rourke's Drift for that scenario...

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world would mean 1,500 rounds fired individually on a two-way live fire range.  If you think you have a 99.9 to 0.1 outcome advantage over your adversaries, even those odds catch up you before you get through 1,500 rounds.  And unless you're facing one-at-a-time, single file, slow moving adversaries armed with pointy sticks you will never enjoy a 99.9 to 0.1 outcome advantage in an engagement.

• 50 loaded magazines in the real world represents 50 more magazines than would be in an emergency ammunition resupply to unit in contact that is black on ammo.  Even the mil does not believe in stocking and providing mass quantities of loaded magazines.  I've seen ammo crates rolled out of helicopters under those circumstances- and the receiving unit used that ammo, on stripper clips, to reload the on-hand magazines.  Pre-loaded magazines just aren't a priority or need.

Don't get me wrong- I absolutely believe in stocking ammo and magazines.  I certainly do myself.  I carry more than the issued 7 when overseas, for that matter.  But believing you must have mass quantities of loaded magazines ready for instant use for repelling boarders or any other SHTF scenario is just not reasonable or reality-based.  Most folks would be better off spending time, money, space, and energy on other things long before that point in terms of their own SHTF preps.

You do you, no problem, and no adversarial feelings or conflict on this end.  I simply wanted to point out a counter argument for the possible benefit of others in this thread- since this is the survival forum and not GD.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I think we need to be friends.
View Quote
This is the survival forum not GD- we're all friends here already right?  

And those MagStorage Solutions holders, BTW, are offered to NRA Instructors at a pretty decent discount.  I bought mine through that program and have nothing but good things to say about them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is the survival forum not GD- we're all friends here already right?  

And those MagStorage Solutions holders, BTW, are offered to NRA Instructors at a pretty decent discount.  I bought mine through that program and have nothing but good things to say about them.
View Quote
Truth
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is something I've been thinking about. I saw an ad somewhere long ago about a wire rack that would hold about a 1/2 dozen magazines horizontally. Would be a good way to store a few loaded mags on top of the safe.

I have bunches of other magazines I'd like to store in some kind of rack, 25 round BX-25 mags, and various pistol mags.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm still trying to come up with the right way to do this myself. I currently have a pelican case that's loaded with mags, but that's a lot of bulky protection for something that's both not delicate and not often moved. I don't think I'll need a million rounds, but realistically, If I have to store both ammo and mags, it takes up much less room if I put the ammo IN the mags.

one thing that also struck home was the Texas church shooting. We all know the good guy stopped the bad guy with a rifle. but I was reading he was running out of the house, loading a single mag with loose ammo as he went, and ended up either running dry or damn near. I'm not interested in that situation, so all my grab-and-gos will be loaded up and there will be a spare mag or 3 waiting in my truck if need be, or an easy to grab go bag
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#50]
one thing that also struck home was the Texas church shooting. We all know the good guy stopped the bad guy with a rifle. but I was reading he was running out of the house, loading a single mag with loose ammo as he went, and ended up either running dry or damn near. I'm not interested in that situation, so all my grab-and-gos will be loaded up and there will be a spare mag or 3 waiting in my truck if need be, or an easy to grab go bag
View Quote
For an even faster and lighter loadout, a loaded mag bando on each weapon is a good TTP.

They can be bought cheaper than you can make them nowadays.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top