Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2021 11:03:08 AM EDT
What’s the chances and who monitors that? Does any of us have means of checking for increasing radiation?

Even with all the covid that’s being touted as our biggest problem, is there something else out there that could explain all the illness?

I have been seeing more ppl keeping nausea and getting sunburnt rather easily.

I’m just wondering if someone else have had this question.

Thx
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but not for the reasons you would think. Normal background radiation has increased significantly (approx. 340 mrem/yr to approx. 640 mrem/yr) due to medical diagnostic procedures and treatment. For example, the gentleman sitting beside you in a restaurant may have just had a stress test using Tc-99m.

Edited to add that you’re not going to see erythema or radiation sickness from an increase in background radiation.

There are consumer electronics designed for measuring radiation. You can check out the following link:

https://www.medgadget.com/2017/04/dosime-smart-radiation-detector-personal-home-use.html

I was given one of these dosimeters a few years ago at a Health Physics conference.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was, it might actually be a good thing.
There is demographic evidence that people living in areas with higher background radiation live longer and suffer from less cancer.

The US EPA, as it tends to do, makes some very dubious decisions about radiation levels. Especially lower levels, based upon projections, which is one of their favorite schemes, and as usual, it is almost certainly wildly wrong.

Those who can do. Those who can't teach. Those who can't teach work for the EPA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I just checked, normal background radiation here.

only 870 uSv/hr

we are good
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Married to a redhead, I’m sure her red hair is a by product of tritium H3!   Cause my wife is the bomb!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If people are getting sunburned from anything other than the standard solar radiation, we have much bigger problems ??
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was, it might actually be a good thing.
There is demographic evidence that people living in areas with higher background radiation live longer and suffer from less cancer.

The US EPA, as it tends to do, makes some very dubious decisions about radiation levels. Especially lower levels, based upon projections, which is one of their favorite schemes, and as usual, it is almost certainly wildly wrong.

Those who can do. Those who can't teach. Those who can't teach work for the EPA.
View Quote

Ah yes the pesky EPA peeeps.. how dare they regulated cfc's... now it takes twice as long for me to sun tan!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What’s the chances and who monitors that? Does any of us have means of checking for increasing radiation?

Even with all the covid that’s being touted as our biggest problem, is there something else out there that could explain all the illness?

I have been seeing more ppl keeping nausea and getting sunburnt rather easily.

I’m just wondering if someone else have had this question.

Thx
View Quote

Not at any level that really matters in daily life.
Getting sunburned easily is not related to background radiation, nor is nausea.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:47:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Microwave energy seems to be increasing for cats.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope.

Open source radiation monitor map.

EPA RADNET monitoring, if you trust the government.

They have very nice equipment, but during the Fukishima event the monitors mysteriously went offline almost in sync with a large radiation cloud that was working its way across the US. The day after the cloud passed back online. For non-crisis events it's probably the best source.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.gmcmap.com/
This is from a Geiger counter that you can upload your readings in real time to a map.

At the top of the page their is a link. Just get the name and look it up on amazon.
GQ GMC-500Plus Nuclear Radiation Detector Monitor Dosimeter it's about $120 bucks
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Dosimeters are fun to play around with.  There's a lot more radioactive things in your house than you think.  Background in my house is about 60CPM for reference.  Even my toilet was a little active.  Tritium sights didn't register at all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, but not for the reasons you would think. Normal background radiation has increased significantly (approx. 340 mrem/yr to approx. 640 mrem/yr) due to medical diagnostic procedures and treatment. For example, the gentleman sitting beside you in a restaurant may have just had a stress test using Tc-99m.

Edited to add that you’re not going to see erythema or radiation sickness from an increase in background radiation.

There are consumer electronics designed for measuring radiation. You can check out the following link:

https://www.medgadget.com/2017/04/dosime-smart-radiation-detector-personal-home-use.html

I was given one of these dosimeters a few years ago at a Health Physics conference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dosime uses a Silicone Diode to detect and measure ionizing radiation exposure. This is the same system utilized by nearly all nuclear power plants and NATO forces due to its precision, accuracy, and durability.

1. LOL

2. No.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I appreciate all the replies. With all that’s going on in the world, makes you wonder what else we have to contend with. I know they have been watching the south Atlantic anomaly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Here's another similar one

What's kind of cool about these "amateur" monitoring sites is that many of the contributors are using cheap, simple equipment - like this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top