Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2018 1:07:30 PM EDT
I have spoken to 4 well drillers/pump installers and got estimates for a new 350 ft drilled well, and all 4 of them try to talk me out of a 3 wire pump.

I make it clear at the start of the discussion that I will be running the pump off a 5500 running watt generator (8000 surge) and that I want the 3 wire version due to running it from a genset.

Their counter argument is that the additional cost of the controller box and additional pump cost (3 wire vs 2 wire) is un-neccessary as a 4k-5K generator will run a 2 wire pump. 1 HP pump, ~ 200 feet down the well, with a frost free hydrant next to the well head, and no pressure tank as this is for off-grid use only.

I don't want to burn up my pump prematurely due to the initial heavy pull. Can soft starts be put on a 2 wire pump?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have spoken to 4 well drillers/pump installers and got estimates for a new 350 ft drilled well, and all 4 of them try to talk me out of a 3 wire pump.

I make it clear at the start of the discussion that I will be running the pump off a 5500 running watt generator (8000 surge) and that I want the 3 wire version due to running it from a genset.

Their counter argument is that the additional cost of the controller box and additional pump cost (3 wire vs 2 wire) is un-neccessary as a 4k-5K generator will run a 2 wire pump. 1 HP pump, ~ 200 feet down the well, with a frost free hydrant next to the well head, and no pressure tank as this is for off-grid use only.

I don't want to burn up my pump prematurely due to the initial heavy pull. Can soft starts be put on a 2 wire pump?
View Quote

I'm not a professional electrician but I do not know of a way to do soft start on a 2-wire. Theoretically I can't think of how that could even work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate to keep dragging this link into threads, but once again, Franklin Electric's generator sizing recommendations for pumps has something very useful to say on the matter - It's found in the note near the bottom of the chart:

NOTE: This chart applies to 3-wire or 3-phase motors. For best starting of 2-wire motors, the minimum generator rating is 50% higher than shown.
View Quote
So, it appears that your insistence on using a 3-wire pump is well justified.

I suspect your well installers would prefer to sell you something they have in stock - which might be the main reason they're pushing 2-wire pumps.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s really odd. Most wells around here (even shallow ones under 100ft) use a 3 wire pump.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate to keep dragging this link into threads, but once again, Franklin Electric's generator sizing recommendations for pumps has something very useful to say on the matter - It's found in the note near the bottom of the chart:

I suspect your well installers would prefer to sell you something they have in stock - which might be the main reason they're pushing 2-wire pumps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NOTE: This chart applies to 3-wire or 3-phase motors. For best starting of 2-wire motors, the minimum generator rating is 50% higher than shown.

I really appreciate you dragging that into this thread, I came across that Franklin Electric chart yesterday,  and Its hard to argue with facts.

And this thread is hard to arue with as well:https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/update-generator-s-ability-to-handle-inrush-current-on-a-well-pump-/17-693326/
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I really appreciate you dragging that into this thread, I came across that Franklin Electric chart yesterday,  and Its hard to argue with facts.

And this thread is hard to arue with as well:https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/update-generator-s-ability-to-handle-inrush-current-on-a-well-pump-/17-693326/
View Quote
Mirrors my experience with sizing/buying a backup generator for my house. The well was what everything hinged on because of the RLA required for startup, power factor, efficiency and how many starting watts that would require. In my case, the inrush curve is absolutely necessary to get water moving, but Ive also got 675ft of well pipe, about 600ft of which is below water line.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mirrors my experience with sizing/buying a backup generator for my house. The well was what everything hinged on because of the RLA required for startup, power factor, efficiency and how many starting watts that would require. In my case, the inrush curve is absolutely necessary to get water moving, but Ive also got 675ft of well pipe, about 600ft of which is below water line.
View Quote
So....why is your well that deep? What depth is your pump at? Do you mean that 600 feet is above the waterline?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So....why is your well that deep? What depth is your pump at? Do you mean that 600 feet is above the waterline?
View Quote
Has a lot to do with capacity to be honest, as well as refill rate. Pump is hung at 675ft on a 725 drill depth going off memory without looking at the drill card. Water line is at 80ft below ground so everything below that is submerged.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow thats alot of well!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I found a video that helps explain the difference in 2 wire vs 3 wire pumps to newbies like me.

https://youtu.be/86oOOCKJgWg
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't ever feel bad about repeating good information when questions are asked.  IMO, that's what Homestead is here for.

Sure, some folks will have seen the info, but some won't have, or it wasn't relevant to them when they saw it so it didn't register.

The people who help others learn are what make this a good forum.
View Quote
Concur... I hadn't seen it before so it was good info.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't ever feel bad about repeating good information when questions are asked.  IMO, that's what Homestead is here for.

Sure, some folks will have seen the info, but some won't have, or it wasn't relevant to them when they saw it so it didn't register.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I am very appreciative for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top