Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2020 7:29:53 PM EDT
I want to buy my first pair of binoculars. Are swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 binoculars worth buying? Or is it useless and I need to get a bigger objective lens?
I'm looking for something good for the zoo, hiking and observing wildlife, exploring, something to take fishing or on a kayak.

If I'm not hunting after sunset, is there a good balance between size and vision?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Swarovski are excellent quality. Smaller objective trades away FOV and some light gathering properties. I prefer bigger for most uses.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
In the infinite wisdom that is Arfcom there can be only one answer.

Get both!

I have a Swift Trilyte 8x24 compact binocular that works great for sporting events, birds, bikinis and the like. And I also have a set of German B.Nickel 8x45 binoculars that my father hunted with in the 1950's in Germany. They still work perfectly, and are bright and clear. I use them when I'm hunting and glassing game at longer distances. I used them when I shot my first S. Dakota pronghorn at about 380 yards.

Never felt like I needed more glass. If it were me, and I could only buy one binocular, I would look for something in the middle like a 7x35, 8x35, 8x42 built on a mid sized chassis. The web is your friend. I did a quick search for 8x40 binos and got a ton of hits. Read the reviews, go to Bass Pro and look at their selection.

Steiner, Swarovski, Nikon, are good places to start.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
A few years ago I played with several at either Cabelas or Bass Pro. They have very few high end binoculars, and a million low end and mid tier.
At the time I was focused on the best binoculars, but I wasn't paying attention to the magnification and objective lens sizes. It may be a long time until bass pro opens up again.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top