Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 9:26:50 AM EDT
I used to have a Gravely walk behind with a few implements.  It was great for the acre parcel I was living on at the time.  That was about twenty years ago and all the Gravelys and attachments are twenty years older (me too ).  

I guess the deciding factor with machines is time vs money with consideration to the tasks you want to perform.  With the Gravely I could cut the lawn (50" finish mower), rototill, plow and throw snow and brush hog.  It was a huge labor and time saver vs doing it all by hand but it did require some strength to muscle the machine around.

I did like that there was only once machine to maintain vs a separate mower, tiller, snow thrower, etc.

Anyone still use a Gravely or more modern equivalent?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't really know these were a thing until a year or two back when there was a thread on here about them.  If it wasn't Kitties that started it, she posted a bunch in it.  The consensus, IIRC, seemed to be that they were tough, well made machines and worked well for someone who didn't/couldn't own a tractor, but you needed to be pretty able bodied or they would beat the hell out of you.  I didn't look, but I bet the thread is long archived.  I'm thinking there were a few HF&G folks who either had them or used to have them.  I seem to also remember that sourcing parts and/or accessories was a little challenging.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the positive feedback Feral.  It's appreciated.

I just watched a few YouTube vids and was impressed.  Handlebars adjustable for height and even offset is really great.  Good assortment of implements but they seem a bit on the expensive side.  I'd rather spend once for quality than twice for junk.

I think one would help keep me active and help me sleep better at night

I did search before I posted for walk behind tractor and came up empty - I may not be doing it correctly.

One downside I can think of is there's not likely a source for used implements like there once was (or maybe still is) for Gravelys.  It can be fun picking through Craigslist hunting out used 'bargains'.

Edit to add:  I used the googles and found the archives

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/URGENT-Gravely-L8-Walk-Behind-Tractor/19-694446/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a BCS. It was old as hell and beat to shit. It still started every time, but it lacked the refinements of the models sold today.  I sold it and bought a Kubota BX. That said if I was going to do a large high tunnel or small 1-2 acre intensive gardening plot I’d happily spend the money on a new BCS.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  I've been down the YouTube rabbit hole on and off all day looking at them.  I can't believe the number of attachments.  Hay rakes, balers, etc.  Huge variety.  Honda engine seems super.

I'm sure a compact or subcompact tractor is a great thing to have.  Money is tight so I'd rather not spend more than I have to but then again I'm sure I'd find chores for a grapple, land plane, etc.   Besides a four wheel tractor is just cool.

I can see a spreadsheet or two in my future for deeper study.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I still can't get over this:

Not the most efficient but a hell of a lot better than not having a baler if you need one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't see how you could justify one of those over a bx tractor. There is an order or two of magnitude difference in capability between them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd hope there is as there is a price difference of at least $8K.

I haven't been around tractors so this could be that I don't know what I don't know.  I have had a Gravely was always impressed with how much work it could do.

The least expensive BCS walk behind has a MSRP of $1,705 and the least expensive Kubota BX series has a MSRP of $9,863 for a difference of $8,158.00.  

The most expensive BCS walk behind has a MSRP of $5,330 and the most expensive Kubota BX has a MSRP of $14,585 for a difference of $9,255.00.  

Both those comparisons are bare with zero implements.  I don't know if either could be purchased for less than MSRP.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My BCS is back in action after a long health related brake. It is a 11 hp beast. 0.12 acre tilled right now, it is overkill for my needs at this stage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top