Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2021 12:24:40 PM EDT
This will come in handy on my groundhog, coyote, and deer hunts!

Bakcou Flatlander E-Bike Unboxing Video

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Those higher powered ones can haul a BUNCH of gear/cargo.

I have a lower powered one that I got mainly to help me out on hills.

Description here:

I Bought One of the Cheapest E-Bikes on Amazon, and After Several Months, I Am Still Enjoying It.

Using a combination of electric power and out-of-shape-middle-aged-man power, I hauled 435 lbs of bike, trailer, gear, and rider 10.3 miles on a single charge without working any too hard.

Bigger battery capacity + more powerful motor = a bunch more versatility.  All depends on what you want to pay.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Never understood the point. Either get some exercise and do your own work or ride a motorcycle. Why be a pretender?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never understood the point. Either get some exercise and do your own work or ride a motorcycle. Why be a pretender?
View Quote

If you don't understand the point, then you're in the wrong thread.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you are like a lot of pig hunters in Texas and patrol at night scouting for hogs with thermal, the E-bike is quieter than a motorcycle or mule, which is one obvious advantage

@bullf-16 has one and had some good (and bad) observations using one under nods

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the members here put me on to the

Sur Ron x e-bike.. holy fool I want one.

Example
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that dude wearing all his cool expensive hunting clothes on his day off to film a youtube video?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the members here put me on to the

Sur Ron x e-bike.. holy fool I want one.

Example
View Quote

I would kill myself, especially with all the limits off.  

40 miles range is nice, though!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Never understood the point. Either get some exercise and do your own work or ride a motorcycle. Why be a pretender?
View Quote

Quoted:If you don't understand the point, then you're in the wrong thread.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the hunting application the e-bike could be great!  Quiet and minimizes your excertsion (less sweating/scent) and could help you push just a little bit further/harder/.  Otherwise, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been looking for an ebike, but it's almost impossible to find one right now. I have spoken with several bike shop owners and a lot of them have ebike and say that they actually get a better workout using the ebike than they do on a regular MTB or road bike. They say that you are able to get your heart rate up and keep going a lot further than you ever could just using your own power.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
No, but ive been thinking about getting this kit for years I just never pulled the trigger. They look really fun on youtube.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-middrive-kit/
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been looking for an ebike, but it's almost impossible to find one right now. I have spoken with several bike shop owners and a lot of them have ebike and say that they actually get a better workout using the ebike than they do on a regular MTB or road bike. They say that you are able to get your heart rate up and keep going a lot further than you ever could just using your own power.
View Quote

This is marketing. I keep seeing this posted when E-bikes are discussed, and it’s hard to believe rational people believe it. For those that don’t have a background in cycling, be careful listening to this stuff. It only applies to extremely out of shape people who wouldn’t ride a bike much otherwise. There’s simply no way riding an E-bike compares to a 50, 75, or 100-mile road bike ride while maintaining a 70-80% max heart rate or better.

An E-bike smoothes max output requirements when hitting hills. Will it let you go further? Yes. But you’ll miss out on the strength gains you would have made by hitting that hill on your own. You’ll also miss out on the flats, when you could have been grinding and building cardio but you’re puttering along as the motor keeps your momentum going. If you want the “best workout,” get on a regular bike and embrace the pain. It’s the only way.

E-bikes are an incredible technology and provide amazing flexibility for commuters or casual riders. Just be honest with yourselves on what they are.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is marketing. I keep seeing this posted when E-bikes are discussed, and it’s hard to believe rational people believe it. For those that don’t have a background in cycling, be careful listening to this stuff. It only applies to extremely out of shape people who wouldn’t ride a bike much otherwise. There’s simply no way riding an E-bike compares to a 50, 75, or 100-mile road bike ride while maintaining a 70-80% max heart rate or better.

An E-bike smoothes max output requirements when hitting hills. Will it let you go further? Yes. But you’ll miss out on the strength gains you would have made by hitting that hill on your own. You’ll also miss out on the flats, when you could have been grinding and building cardio but you’re puttering along as the motor keeps your momentum going. If you want the “best workout,” get on a regular bike and embrace the pain. It’s the only way.

E-bikes are an incredible technology and provide amazing flexibility for commuters or casual riders. Just be honest with yourselves on what they are.
View Quote

When you say it "only" applies to "extremely out of shape people who wouldn’t ride a bike much otherwise," you make it seem as if there aren't many of them. Fact is, that's probably the majority of people who would buy them. And there are way more of them than there are people who would go on a "50, 75, or 100 mile road bike ride." Who does that?  Look around. Americans are fat and lazy. Heck, that was largely the reason I got mine. Riding a bike in WV kinda sucks, because where ever you go, you have to ride up a ridiculous hill at some point. In fact, from my house, unless I want to ride in circles on the street, anywhere I go is downhill, meaning that I will have to climb back up to get home.

I'm not lying to myself about strength gains, cardio, or any of that, because I don't really care about that. It's not between "light activity on an ebike vs. a 25 mile road bike ride", it's "light activity on an ebike" vs. "couch". I'm pushing 50. I'm not going on extended road bike rides. I'm just looking to add some activity to my life to avoid beetus.

Any physical activity is better than no physical activity, which is where I was three months ago. Granted, it was the middle of winter, but even then, on better days, I wasn't doing anything until I got my ebike.  Now, I thoroughly enjoy riding it, and yes, I pedal virtually the whole ride.

In the several months that I've had mine, I've lost thirty pounds or so, I get less winded while riding up steep hills, and have come to rely less and less on the power assist.

Next week, I'm doing a 14 mile bike-and-camp pulling an 80 lb trailer. My bike isn't powerful enough to do that by itself, so naturally, I'll be pedaling along to take up the slack. If you'd have asked me to do that last year, I'd probably have just conceded that "I'm out".

So, it's definitely moved the needle for me, and I can't help but think it can and will for many people who own them.

The point is, everybody has their own requirements and expectations about what they want. You certainly have yours, but not everybody has the same goals and requirements that you do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check out RAD Power bikes.  They are online only but get really good reviews

I have a regular bike but want aan electric for certain applications.  I am looking at CSC (the moto company) as theirs has a little better components than the RAD for only a little more money.  I its available in July and i am going to preorder it soon

https://csc-ebikes.com/pre-order-ft750xp-26-fat-tire-e-bike-w-26-wheels-black/

Rad Power- They ahve several types that vary from 1k-1.8k or so

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes?g_acctid=717-180-1645&g_adgroupid=89303138777&g_adid=496359961654&g_campaign=B%20-%20Rad%20Power%20Bikes%20-%20Exact&g_campaignid=9021516147&g_keyword=rad%20power%20bikes&g_keywordid=kwd-773593115201&g_network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw3pWDBhB3EiwAV1c5rOR71kNxtPL2gO1l8Q0jz7IGO8nirqsdi0Lcp8Zmwhe8eK2clUFZUhoCsCUQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=B%20-%20Rad%20Power%20Bikes%20-%20Exact&utm_medium=Brand&utm_source=Google%20Search
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When you say it "only" applies to "extremely out of shape people who wouldn’t ride a bike much otherwise," you make it seem as if there aren't many of them. Fact is, that's probably the majority of people who would buy them. And there are way more of them than there are people who would go on a "50, 75, or 100 mile road bike ride." Who does that?  Look around. Americans are fat and lazy. Heck, that was largely the reason I got mine. Riding a bike in WV kinda sucks, because where ever you go, you have to ride up a ridiculous hill at some point. In fact, from my house, unless I want to ride in circles on the street, anywhere I go is downhill, meaning that I will have to climb back up to get home.

I'm not lying to myself about strength gains, cardio, or any of that, because I don't really care about that. It's not between "light activity on an ebike vs. a 25 mile road bike ride", it's "light activity on an ebike" vs. "couch". I'm pushing 50. I'm not going on extended road bike rides. I'm just looking to add some activity to my life to avoid beetus.

Any physical activity is better than no physical activity, which is where I was three months ago. Granted, it was the middle of winter, but even then, on better days, I wasn't doing anything until I got my ebike.  Now, I thoroughly enjoy riding it, and yes, I pedal virtually the whole ride.

In the several months that I've had mine, I've lost thirty pounds or so, I get less winded while riding up steep hills, and have come to rely less and less on the power assist.

Next week, I'm doing a 14 mile bike-and-camp pulling an 80 lb trailer. My bike isn't powerful enough to do that by itself, so naturally, I'll be pedaling along to take up the slack. If you'd have asked me to do that last year, I'd probably have just conceded that "I'm out".

So, it's definitely moved the needle for me, and I can't help but think it can and will for many people who own them.

The point is, everybody has their own requirements and expectations about what they want. You certainly have yours, but not everybody has the same goals and requirements that you do.
View Quote

I think you both missed and made my point at the same time, and please don’t take anything I said as a personal insult. If it gets you up and out, DO it. No complaints or admonishments here and great job on the weight loss! We could all stand to lose a few pounds and be more active.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have heard about guys using these in the back country in places where motorcycles and ATVs are prohibited, but bikes are allowed. It’s a niche item for sure, but being able to zoom up into the mountains with a bunch of gear or zoom out with your deer sounds useful to me.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have heard about guys using these in the back country in places where motorcycles and ATVs are prohibited, but bikes are allowed. It’s a niche item for sure, but being able to zoom up into the mountains with a bunch of gear or zoom out with your deer sounds useful to me.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the guys I used to MTB with still rides 25-30 miles a day on his road bike. He bought his wife a Trek ebike so that she could continue to ride and stay with the group. They are both in very good shape and I don't see him telling me this just to make a sale, but if your experience on an ebike is different than theirs, then I can't argue with you.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

One of the guys I used to MTB with still rides 25-30 miles a day on his road bike. He bought his wife a Trek ebike so that she could continue to ride and stay with the group. They are both in very good shape and I don't see him telling me this just to make a sale, but if your experience on an ebike is different than theirs, then I can't argue with you.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think anyone actually read my post, and I don’t want to dump in an otherwise pleasant thread, but please re-read what I posted. Putting the wife on an Ebike to be able to hang with the group? Great! I’d have to do the same for mine to join. I have no clue what you are arguing at this point.

Cyclists are aware that most won’t tolerate the pain and suffering, not to mention the frustration at slow progression, that’s a regular part of the sport. Ebikes get more people excited to be outdoors and in better shape, and your friend knows that.

More on topic; the hunting/scouting aspect of Ebikes is another great application. The military has been developing and fielding quiet/silent dirt bikes for very similar reasons.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is that dude wearing all his cool expensive hunting clothes on his day off to film a youtube video?
View Quote

I assume "that dude" you're referring to is the guy in OP's video?

That IS OP, and he's a digital content provider that primarily films hunting of varmints and predators and related matters. He bought the ebike for quietly slipping into hunt spots so this video is related to his normal content and his attire is appropriate for his normal audience. That hunting camo is quite possibly everyday attire for him, it's likely "retired" stuff that he no longer takes hunting; or he hunts every day so it's always on him, I'm not sure which h is the case here.

On the matter of ebike utility, my opinion is mostly reflected in the other responses but I want to emphasize that rugged areas change things a lot. Just because YOU are a flatlanders doesn't mean everyone else is too. Sure, a person in great shape with a nice road bike and no extra load can handle those hills, but that's a rarity. As matter of fact, that the ONLY type of cyclist I ever see out on the roads near me because of the terrain. There is no way even an above-average person can strap a pack of gear or trailer of gear on and make it up the hill in front of my house without some assistance. 12% grade for 3/4 mile. It's steep enough the county highway department dumps piles of sand on the side of the road so when we get snow the county highway trucks can park at the top and walk down with a shovel to throw sand on the road just so they can make it safely down the hill with the salt truck. I would like to see ANY cyclist take that hill with an 80 lb pack or trailer on. The average person isn't touching it without walking up or using some assistance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]
It gets those out of shape people on bikes and they can work up from there.
I have had an ebike for a few years now. I don't ride it off road, I rarely ride off road anymore anyway. I use it around the city. I live close to the beach, good luck finding a spot to park if you go there. However with a bicycle you can just take it on the beach with you not to mention ride right past that 3 mile back up getting on to the island. It also allows me park by the door for those trips to the store (baskets are real nice to have on a bike) and lets me enjoy being outside as I do so.
Ebikes extend your range and cargo capacity. Ever ride in the mountains? It could be the difference between arriving somewhere slightly winded or dead on the side of the road from a heart attack.
If you think I ride and ebike because I can't handle a regular bike well come on down with your bike and let's go for a ride.
My home built ebike tops out in the mid 30's, my fancy store bought tops out just under 30. Range for homebuilt if I pedal assist and don't go too fast would probably get me 100 miles, store bought is around 40 miles.

For those ebikers who wonder how the hell I get 100 miles, 48v 20AH battery using a Luna Cycle mid drive. Haven't done the full 100 straight through but have done 50 and the math holds up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It gets those out of shape people on bikes and they can work up from there.
I have had an ebike for a few years now. I don't ride it off road, I rarely ride off road anymore anyway. I use it around the city. I live close to the beach, good luck finding a spot to park if you go there. However with a bicycle you can just take it on the beach with you not to mention ride right past that 3 mile back up getting on to the island. It also allows me park by the door for those trips to the store (baskets are real nice to have on a bike) and lets me enjoy being outside as I do so.
Ebikes extend your range and cargo capacity. Ever ride in the mountains? It could be the difference between arriving somewhere slightly winded or dead on the side of the road from a heart attack.
If you think I ride and ebike because I can't handle a regular bike well come on down with your bike and let's go for a ride.
My home built ebike tops out in the mid 30's, my fancy store bought tops out just under 30. Range for homebuilt if I pedal assist and don't go too fast would probably get me 100 miles, store bought is around 40 miles.

For those ebikers who wonder how the hell I get 100 miles, 48v 20AH battery using a Luna Cycle mid drive. Haven't done the full 100 straight through but have done 50 and the math holds up.
View Quote

Last weekend, I did 20+ miles on a bone-stock cheapo ebike from Amazon. $550, 250 watts, 36 volts 8 amps. I did at least 16 miles of that pulling a 70+ lb trailer up and down hills at altitudes over 2000 feet. Still had battery to spare when I finished.

I pedaled the whole time and just used the power when things got difficult.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top