Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2019 5:23:42 PM EDT
I've been thinking of getting a Marline 1895 SBL to use instead of my pre-64 30-06 Model 70 for deer and this fall elk for the first time. I don't anticipate shooting over 100 yards in the Colorado mountains so not too concerned about the steep trajectory of the 45-70. However, I am concerned about using open sights effectively given that my eyesight isn't so good anymore and open sights look like a blurry blob. The Marlin SBL has a rail for easily adding a scope so I'll likely do that (despite my aversion to scopes on lever guns - old age sucks).

So, just curious about other's experience with a lever gun compared with a more typical bolt action. I'm not worried about follow up shots or lethality. More just the experience of lugging it around in the woods and snow as well as how loud. never shot a 45-70 before. Any suggestion on ammo? I'd like heavy for caliber and slower velocity with lead-free solids. Probably load my own eventually, but might have to settle for factory this year.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 5:33:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#1]
Aperture sights are quick and help old eyes. Your eye naturally centers the bead in the aperture.

For an optic, how about a red dot sight. Fine for 100yds, small and minimally obtrusive if you go with a micro size, like a Vortex SPARC or the more expensive Aimpoint H1 or H2.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 5:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phdog] [#2]
I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-8x that is currently on my daughter's 10/22. I was thinking of "borrowing" it. It's relatively small. Blurry bead in a blurry hole might be better but still not ideal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 5:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#3]
I have a 444 Marlin, set up with a ghost ring peep & a detachable  forward mounted 2.5 power Leupold "scout scope".  Very accurate, very flexible, and very heavy

It would kill anything at that range.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:06:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StromBusa:
I have a 444 Marlin, set up with a ghost ring peep & a detachable  forward mounted 2.5 power Leupold "scout scope".  Very accurate, very flexible, and very heavy

It would kill anything at that range.
View Quote
Big game, low power scope all day long on a big bore.

I run a 2x Leo. on my 45-70 and it works well.   I don’t like the factory rail scope placement so I made this rail to get my 2x forward.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

GG is pretty light.  Almost too light with my heavy loads. I gave up on the heavy ones anyway for elk.  405 gr running 1850fps is just insane.  Muzzle blast knocked over my chrono 15’ away and was knocking the hell out of me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

GG is pretty light.  Almost too light with my heavy loads. I gave up on the heavy ones anyway for elk.  405 gr running 1850fps is just insane.  Muzzle blast knocked over my chrono 15’ away and was knocking the hell out of me.
View Quote
So what load are you using now?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

The ones in the blue box are pretty much my go to bullets.
405 gr JSP, Remington.  Midway has them.  Even with the 2x glass, I can put 5 of them in 2 1/2” at 100 off a rest.

I load them to 1550 FPS. Stout but not abusive on the shoulder.

The LBT 405s, I’ve only played around with.   Worked up some loads that are book stout max loads.  No more of that.
I did shoot (played around lol) a big icefall with some of those loads.  Fired about 10 rounds into the ice from 60 yds.   It was impressive.   Huge craters in the ice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Ruger #1 45-70 that I have taken one elk with. It is so short it is a pleasure to Cary in the thick stuff. I used leverevolution ammo and it performed well. I also agree with the above comments on a red dot or low power scope. I have a fixed 4x on mine and it works great. Love the big bullets!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
The ones in the blue box are pretty much my go to bullets.
405 gr JSP, Remington.  Midway has them.  Even with the 2x glass, I can put 5 of them in 2 1/2” at 100 off a rest.

I load them to 1550 FPS. Stout but not abusive on the shoulder.
View Quote
Do those 405 gr JSP cause a lot of meat damage? I'd like to find something that causes less damage than typical 30-06 loads.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SEAN10MM] [#9]
Fixed 4x Leupold is what I run on my .444 Marlin. I zeroed 2 inches high at 100 yards. Anything within 200 yards will get hit where it counts, and will shortly die.

I used to run a 2x7 variable.... but I wanted something a little more compact.

I use the Hornady Superformance. Nice round, not too bad of a boom. Does the job quite well, and is more accurate out of my rifle than the FTX Leverevolution from Hornady. I have yet to try Underwood and Buffolo Bore offerings.

Put a scope on your new lever action rifle...... you're not killing any tradition. It's not 1952 anymore. Treat your eyes and spare the game from a misplaced shot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The JSP do a fair bit of damage.   Front quarters aren’t the best meat anyway so I’m ok with it. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
USED ONE BEFORE 1895, was ok, like my bolt action better. but my state not restricted to such cartridges. i need to reach out on fields sometimes.
good luck with what you choose.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Good thread.  I've considered changing my elk rifle from bolt action .300wsm to a .45-70 lever gun with low power scope.  Seems like it would be quicker to get a shot off, and maybe a little easier to carry in thicker stuff.  I hate the thought of giving up longer shot opportunities, but to this point I've never actually had one of those, and realistically in the field I struggle to get into a stable shooting position for a 400yd shot anyway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I've killed deer with 405gr soft tips like that.  It just comes a big hole with very little damage.   FAR less than any of my other rifles including the 30/30.  Its moving so slow it causes little hydraulic shock.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I've ran into the same issue as you with the sights and older eyes. I put a Williams aperture sight on the back of both a Marlin 30 30 and a 45-70 along with a green fiber optic front sight. The rear sight has a removable (threaded) small aperture, so I drilled and tapped the side of the receiver to hold this small aperture while not in use. The large hole (with the small aperture removed) acts like a ghost ring rear sight and is plenty accurate at 100 yards and in. If I want to take a longer shot I can just unscrew the small aperture from the side of the receiver and put it back in the larger hole. Getting rid of that leaf sight on the barrel and adding the receiver sight has allowed me to have fun with my Marlins again, the difference is amazing.

Also, any heavy flat nose, hard cast bullet should be fine for elk, no need to go 'lead free'. I've noticed no difference over the years between my 45-70 and 338 WM on elk.....a well placed shot will anchor an elk quickly in either caliber.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:37:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pumpkinheaver] [#15]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I used a Marling 1895G the last few years. It puts deer down. I used to use it wil a Lyman 66 receiver sight but getting old suck so I switched to a low power variable scope. I used Remington 405s over IMR 3031 for years. They are hard to find anymore so I have switched to the 300 Speer and it works just as well on Missouri whitetails.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
If you can find one get it. I put a red dot on mine. Love it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The SBL is a nice gun but a pig to hunt with. A guide gun is about 3 pounds lighter when ready for hunting. 45-70 is lots of fun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I own a 1895SBL in .45-70 but havent killed anything with it yet. Also one of my pre-safety .44 Magnum 1894's has XS sights an a Vortex Venom Reddot on it. The ghost rings are very large so they are meant for quick, close shots within 50 yards. Any further than that and it can be tough to hold a good group. I ended up with a red dot because of this. I do like the fact that it has the rail but im not a fan of LER scopes. You can probably get smaller apertures to put in the XS Sight rail body that will act more like a peep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top