Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2019 5:04:48 PM EDT
This is my second season and today I got 4 muskrats.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What are furs bringing now?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.  I have a couple grey's that have been bouncing around my farm that I'm probably going to set for.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't trap as near as much as I'd like.

So far all I got this year was a single beaver. Only had out 5 traps and the weather wasn't great over a 2 day span.

Depending on where you live, coyotes are hot this year. Focus on them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Fur prices forecast
I like the muskrat. I had pictures of 4 I caught but took them down. I just pelted them. I  only have been doing small trap lines.  I set a dozen for rats 1/2 dozen for beavers.
@superluckycat
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I snare 'yotes but only on my property and only to get them out if the food chain... fur prices on midwestern pelts isn't enough to bother skinning them out. So I snare and toss them. The buzzards appreciate it!

That being said, after snaring 18 last year (all from my property) this year has started a bit slower. I snared a male and female so far, but I've only had the snares out 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I snare 'yotes but only on my property and only to get them out if the food chain... fur prices on midwestern pelts isn't enough to bother skinning them out. So I snare and toss them. The buzzards appreciate it!

That being said, after snaring 18 last year (all from my property) this year has started a bit slower. I snared a male and female so far, but I've only had the snares out 2 weeks.
View Quote
I'd love more info on snaring.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd love more info on snaring.
View Quote
First and foremost, if there are domestic dogs in your are snares aren't for you. My nearest neighbors are across a body of water on one side and 3/4 mile or more away on the other side. I've never seen a domestic dog on my property except some hunting dogs that I let a guy run on it.

Just like trapping, snaring is an art and acquired skill. It took me a couple years to get proficient at it. There are 2 extremely valuable aides in snaring: #1, fence (preferably woven) so they must cross the fence through a limited number of holes, openings, & gaps. These are natural funnel points where the expect to see wire and human signs. #2, utilize every snow you can to go out and see where they're moving. While some fence crossings are obvious some aren't. I've snared many by going out in fresh snow to see where they're crossing, then setting a snare at any new crossing I find. Sometimes it's a wasted effort and that snare never produces but other times I've gone out the next day to find a catch. I will usually start the season with just a few snares on the known, commonly used crossings and by the end I'll have 2-dozen out just from setting new ones as I find a new crossing.

If you're snaring fences get yourself a roll of barbed wire. It's a much more effect means of funneling them to your snare and won't alarm them as much. It will also be needed to patch large holes to make them funnel points to set a snare in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top