Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2020 4:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redleg13a]
If so, is it any good?

Update:  Finished with the series.  Overall, a good, entertaining read.  Lots of good ideas and some that made me scratch my head.  Sometimes the characters did something that you wouldn't do in real life but did it because of idealism or something.  I can see why they did it, but no, they wouldn't have done it in real life, at least not if they didn't want to jeopardize themselves.  

Also, it seemed like the author would put some writing into a certain character but it didn't really fit in with the rest of the story or would leave it hanging for quite awhile before tying it back into the story later.  You'd almost forget about them.  

Overall, I'd give it an 8-9/10.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Listened to it on audio. Good. Don't think i downloaded all of it though..
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Listened to it on audio. Good. Don't think i downloaded all of it though..
View Quote

Thanks.  Picked up nine of the books at the antique store today for $20.  Have to get the second book, though.  I'm halfway through the first one now and I'll have to wait for the second one to continue.  It's not bad so far.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my favorite prepper SHTF story lines. I have met the author a few times, really good guy. His wife wrote the "Great State" series - pretty good also. They both have a podcast which is a good listen.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Listened to it on audio and it’s one of the better SHTF series I’ve listened to or read.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Have heard good things about it.   The only negative was someone saying it could have been 1 whole book, not a series.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#6]
His wife has 3 books out that are pretty good,   they both do a podcast,  'Prepping 2.0'.   They make a pretty good team
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By juan223:
His wife has 3 books out that are pretty good,   they both do a podcast,  'Prepping 2.0'.   They make a pretty good team
View Quote

What are her books titles/about?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!  I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#10]
I was into the series at first.
Then the concluding book, where the author “Glenn Tate” says, talking about rebuilding, why don’t we put all these now out of work government administrators, who previously oppressed the little people, in charge of manufacturing and retail?  Obviously in his statist mind (he is just upset his statist side isn’t the one in power, ultimately), he still thinks government people are the best and brightest.  He thinks they are so talented and knowledgeable about running a tight organization.  Clearly he is detached from reality, and he’s more than a little too much into his little fantasy story.
Well that was just pants on head retarded.  And I’m sorry I spent any money on the kindle downloads
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
I was into the series at first.
Then the concluding book, where the author “Glenn Tate” says, talking about rebuilding, why don’t we put all these now out of work government administrators, who previously oppressed the little people, in charge of manufacturing and retail?  Obviously in his statist mind (he is just upset his statist side isn’t the one in power, ultimately), he still thinks government people are the best and brightest.  He thinks they are so talented and knowledgeable about running a tight organization.  Clearly he is detached from reality, and he’s more than a little too much into his little fantasy story.
Well that was just pants on head retarded.  And I’m sorry I spent any money on the kindle downloads
View Quote

meh

The mans podcast is well grounded,  don't get wrapped around the axle over a small part in a book series.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The series was pretty good until it began to transition into the action/military part. It was here that the series became a chore to read and i really lost interest but forced myself to finish it.  A Great State was a better series imo.  

On a slightly different note their podcast was really good until they revamped it last year. The show became so corny sounding that I unsubscribed as it was unbearable to listen to.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Read the first book...was not impressed
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I too read it...6/10.

8/10 if you change the timeframe to 1299 days, and drop the inward voice stuff.

There will be a lot more Irregulars in the time to come. A lot more dead, too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By YukonCharlie:
Read the first book...was not impressed
View Quote

He's no Tolstoy but the first couple of books are a great way to use a fiction book to get someone into the preparedness mindset.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of it is preachy and forced-narrative, with excessively-detailed descriptions of gear, like that old Patriots.  It also needs a lot of editing - there are lots of paragraph breaks in the middle of a character's dialogue, which makes it hard to follow who is saying what at times.  Not done yet, but I'm thinking it will be 5/10.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
That reminds me. I should buy some yellow spray paint.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top