Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2020 2:16:44 PM EDT
Interested in trying to make prosciutto with some of the geese we get this year.  Normally I take the breasts and thighs skinless.  If I do a prosciutto do I need or want the skin on?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the patience for prosciutto.  We've been making goose pastrami this fall and it's great.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I've done corned goose and pastrami.  Both are good.  I've done confit with goose thighs also, we weren't crazy about the confit (too salty and something of a pita to use).  Just looking at something I've not tried before.  Seems simple enough.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done it a few times with duck breasts and always kept the skin and fat cap on there. Thats the best part of it once its done!
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Setting up to give it a try, assuming the birds cooperate tomorrow.  I may try one goose with skin and one without and see.  Even a little goose fat present makes for awful jerky i.m.o. so we'll just have to see.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Project prosciutto under way.  4 goose breasts and 4 mallard breasts in the cure cycle now. All with skin on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 5:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#6]
I modified a small dorm refrigerator to maintain a 50 deg temp.  Put a small pan of salt water and a small desk fan in the refrig for humidity and to keep air circulating. It seems to be holding a humidity in the high 70's range (80% is perfect from what I've read).

Duck breasts are at about 75% of their original weight after 7 days.  The goose breasts are at about 85% after 5 days.  The goal is about 65%.  Im assuming as the breasts dry humidity will drop and lead to some case hardening, but thats a guess on my part.  I've read a light coating of lard will help with case hardening.

The duck breasts should be ready in another week.  Goose breasts will be while i think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top