Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Got a look at the peas and the results were mixed. One type came up well, these were actually leftovers from last year a friend gave me. The other were top pick purple hull from gurney's.  Worst looking batch of seed I have ever seen, lots of discolored and worm holes seeds. I tried to high grade it and pick out the bad but it doesn't appear to have helped. Planted at double the recommended rate and still have an estimated 30 % of the row is empty space.

Cukes are up, still waiting on the squash to show. Pepper germination rate has been lackluster. Didn't help that my daughter failed to water them like she should have.

Was hoping to get out and work some today but doctor's appointments are eating the day.

Still got to plant corn, eggplant, tomatillo,  and something else I can't even remember.

Bok choy is coming in, spinach will be ready soon. I wish I was retired.
View Quote

Coming in as in ready to eat?

When did you plant it?

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Greenhouse went up this week!

Last year was my best year ever so I'm not going to change the routine too much.  Going to experiment with a couple different potting soils but that's it.

Jalapeños, serranos, habaneros, cayenne, ghosts all bumper a year ago, will try to duplicate.  Last June was very dry and hot, might have had something to do with it, can't control that.

Going to try onions for the first time this year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#5]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

When did you plant it?

View Quote

Late January  or early February started inside and transplanted.

Yep, they are ready to eat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

When did you plant it?

Lucky dog  

I probably started late

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

2 gallon water can for comparison.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105091/Screenshot_20210501-064258_Gallery_jpg-1925512.JPG

2 gallon water can for comparison.
View Quote

Nice

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Farmers breakfast,  arugula and eggs
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Still haven’t put in beans and peas yet.  What is everyone using for trellises?  Last year I did wooden stakes and twine, and the twine would break if you looked at it wrong.  Big mess!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
Still haven’t put in beans and peas yet.  What is everyone using for trellises?  Last year I did wooden stakes and twine, and the twine would break if you looked at it wrong.  Big mess!
View Quote

I use large square fence wire

I roll it out (pain in the butt) cut to size and secure it to stakes with zip ties

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

I'm just going to go with cheap netting. I'm sure it will be just fine for my peas and cukes.

Ordered yesterday and it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7RUJ16?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Question:

Should I replace my tomatoes?

I always plant Better Boy.  This year the plants were out early at the garden centers (HD/Lowe's) and I couldn't resist

They sat in the front window until this week and they've grown tall and spindly

They are around 24" tall and the stem is barely the size of a pencil amd only a few leaf branches  

I can get 3 fresh plants at HD tomorrow

Should I?

It would be a major disappointment to my wife and neighbors (and of course me) if the plants didn't produce

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Taters are coming along nicely.  I'm surprised how fast they grow

I had to mix up red dirt and store bought dirt to hill them

I built a crude fence at the last minute, I'll improve on that

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Question:

I always plant Better Boy.  This year the plants were out early at the garden centers (HD/Lowe's) and I couldn't resist

They are around 24" tall and the stem is barely the size of a pencil amd only a few leaf branches  

Should I?

It would be a major disappointment to my wife and neighbors (and of course me) if the plants didn't produce

View Quote

Try this when you transplant:
Lay a good portion of the stalk sideways and bury them, with a small portion of the top sticking out. Use miracle gro transplant liquid fertilizer. I forget what they call it, but it has a heavy posphate content, which encourages rooting. Keep it off the leaves. Remove any leaves on the portion that will be buried.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:

Lay a good portion of the stalk sideways and bury them, with a small portion of the top sticking out. Use miracle gro transplant liquid fertilizer. I forget what they call it, but it has a heavy posphate content, which encourages rooting. Keep it off the leaves. Remove any leaves on the portion that will be buried.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Question:

Should I?

Thanks, but too late, they are planted already

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Try the transplant fertilizer anyway,  then some 10-10-10 about a week later.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my first sun burn in at least 30 years today in the garden. Still didn't get pole beans in, got eggplant and tomatillos transplanted but no beans. Corn went in the ground, never done that before so we will see. Took all the spinach out today. about 1/2 went into lawn clipping soup with some of the bok choy, nappa and other goodies.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I have planted so far:
27 Various Tomatoes
3 varieties corn
Brocolli
Cabbage
Zucchini
4 varieties melon
4 varieties cucumber
Peas
Peppers
Various herbs

My wife and I are on a mission to keep pur grocery bill as low as possible this year. We've already been neckbearding Mason jars and lids.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mohawk17:
We've already been neckbearding Mason jars and lids.
View Quote

Glad we’re not the only ones.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The sun burn took a greater toll than initially anticipated. I was feeling it on me this morning picking bok choy and arugula for church members. Wife made me go home after church and did not want me in the garden. I wouldn't say the day was wasted, I got a lot done indoors. Still, it feels like I left a lot undone.

Next Friday I have an epidural, so my productivity will be marginalized next weekend. I am so far behind.

It will be OK.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

hog panels
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Got some tomato plants to plant in containers. Jet Star, Husky Cherry Bush and Bush Goliath.

I usually plant the Super Sweet 100 cherry but it gets up around 10' tall so I decided to try something more compact.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Me and the fam got 3 rows of peaches and cream corn in the ground last night.  As long as the rain doesn't get too carried away, I'm gonna get my cuc trellises put up tonight, and hopefully plant cuc's, maters and peppers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#25]
We have our taters but the rain hasn't stopped long enough to get them in the ground.

All the cabbage plants survived the repeated frost, albeit with some damaged leaves, but we lost 1 to a critter (probably rabbit)

Spinach and lettuce are up but not enough to eat, peas are about 3" tall, and I noticed that some beets are peeking up.

Not garden related but my Blue Plymouth Rocks are supposed to be here by Friday.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm having a terrible time starting onions and chives from seed

I have two pots that I always have a great crop of green onions and chives, close to the kitchen door

The chives died for some reason and I cooked up the onions, so I bought seed and planted

Only a few came up

I emptied the pots, fresh dirt, fresh seeds....only a few came up

I know I'm not a black thumber but this is frustrating and confusing

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I can tell you what's down in the garden, gully erosion. Between 5 and 7" of rain in 2 days did some damage. 6-8" deep gullies in 2 places, luckily most is along the edges so little plant damage, but I lost a good bit of soil. Been laid up for a week. First by sunburn, then a cervical epidural. Going to get back out this afternoon. Potatoes need hilling, weeds are atrocious, lots of stuff unplanted. That's life.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#29]
My potatoes are going gang busters

A little rain and I watered them...they grew 6 inches in two days!

I had no idea they grew so fast

I need more dirt
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

We lost our greenhouse to a public utility project, so interplanting this year in the backyard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#31]
My potatoes are going gang busters

A little rain and I watered them...they grew 6 inches in two days!

I had no idea they grew so fast

I need more dirt
View Quote

Potatoes are amazing in how hardy and vigorous they are!
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SigsandCider:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/210946/485DE04E-BAD2-4E03-B2C0-51E9B72B126C_jpe-1936853.JPG

We lost our greenhouse to a public utility project, so interplanting this year in the backyard.
View Quote

What happened to your greenhouse?  What is the greenhouse-shaped object in your picture?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I still haven't got anything in the ground. The nights have been cold. And now they're calling for a solid week of rain.

Soaked some Burpee picklebush seeds in water for about 10 hours then placed in a bag on a paper towel. They germinated by the next day and placed in potting soil. If they sprout and do any good I'll plant them in a container later.

My Little Leaf cucumber seedlings are getting good sized and are about ready to transplant. Looking forward to canning pickles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Few green beans, little corn up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Laid out the rest of my rows yesterday and planted some tomatoes and peppers.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#39]
That is hypnotic.

I am doing better. 7 hours of sleep. Maybe those pole beans will make it in the ground today.  Weeds have gotten so bad I am going to re-till part of the garden. Carrots are starting to come in. Last of the Chinese cabbages are on the way out.

Tomatoes are starting to bloom.  Dug out a dwarf potato plant yesterday that was being buried alive by its neighbors. It still managed to yield a few potatoes. I am hopeful for its brethren.  Picked enough English peas for my Mother in Law to have a small mess. With the potatoes and carrots, that made her dinner.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Went a raiding for new potatoes. Nice to know they are in there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Looking good  

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:37:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbarry3715] [#42]
I just planted warm season yesterday.  No frost in the forecast.  2 weeks earlier than last season. 28 40ft2 beds and a nice size sweet corn stand in the enclosed garden.  Onions, garlic, summer and winter squash in open ground.  

My big project this season was drip tape and emitters in the mixed orchard.  Also using weed fabric everywhere covered in wood chips. I bought a pto chipper to get rid of small trees mostly sassafras.

Going to be an epic garden this year.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#43]
My small garden.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Nice

I didn't think about corn

Here is my update

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#45]
My onions are taking off, carrots are starting to pop up. Tomatoes aren't growing much, but I expect that to change with the warm weather. Same for the various gourds and pumpkins. Container sweet corn is coming up.
Need to transplant watermelon plants, and plant the jack o lantern pumpkins, and make more hills for them.
Container potatoes aren't coming up though.
Celery and lettuce growing, both transplant and seed.
3 cucumber plants are dying, the others are iffy. I started some more seeds just In case.
Need to make more cages for sunflowers, stupid squirrels. Should probably pick up some fox urine too, might drive my dog nuts though.
Also need to see if the motion detector sprinkler still works, I think the neighbors cat is using our square foot garden cause it's such nice loose soil.

And there's also the flowers to plant and mulch to put down!

Whew!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#46]
@billyhill

You feeling any better?  Get your okra in?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, I am doing better. In the garden everything is ready, I just have to get it in the ground. Two more weeks and I'll have some vacation time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#48]
Attachment Attached File

Where we are at now

Can't see the corn at the bottom right. Don't know what is else is visible, but potatoes are on the menu.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#49]
@billyhill

Hey OP, your Bok Choy

Did it look like the veg you buy in the store?

White bottom and dark green at the tips?

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I had 2 varieties, 1 was whitestemed and very much like you see on the store. The other was a "baby" or Shanghai  variety.  It had more green stems and a more compact shape. I will be planting them again in the fall.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top