Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 4/21/2021 7:02:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill]
Doesn't have to be about what is literally coming up, it can be daily weather, plans, hopes, dreams...

What's up? Peppers: bell, poblano, Anaheim, New Mexico, Brazilian Starfish peppers, and Japs. Problem is, I do not know which is which. Apparently, I grabbed the wrong marker and after the last rain I have no legible markings on the cups.

Tilled up another 15x75 bit of ground today. I am up to about 75'x75'. Potatoes are looking great, had to hill those buggers again today.  Put out 23 tomato plants last week, along with 8 or 10 kale (can't remember)  and 3 cauliflower. Put in 40 Chinese cabbages with a mix of baby bok choy, bok choy and napa. Ate the first meal out of the garden with Arugula sautéed with garlic mixed in with some bok choy Last Sunday night. The last of the icicle radishes were pulled today.

Bok choy will be coming out of the garden next week.

Oh yeah, put in about 280 row feet of pink eye purple hull peas. Pole.beans will go in this weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't contribute but I'll tag along and lurk.

I need to learn how to grow stuff and this will also help me figure out what I want to grow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a whole lot of space but will be planting a row of crowder peas and some pickling cucumbers.

This year I'm going to try growing a few tomatoes in grow bags. A super sweet 100 cherry and not sure what else yet. I usually go with Big Beef.

Got a bunch of Little Leaf cucumber seeds under a grow light now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice garden area OP!
I just started my first compost pile the other day, hopefully I get some good soil from it.
Have you guys ever made a worm bin for composting?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kentucky_smith] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hanz:
I can't contribute but I'll tag along and lurk.

I need to learn how to grow stuff and this will also help me figure out what I want to grow.
View Quote

Ask on your ho.etown forum and see if you get any bites. Failing that, start looking on other gardening forums. Gardeners are a different lot and generally love to share their disease.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
I don't have a whole lot of space but will be planting a row of crowder peas and some pickling cucumbers.

This year I'm going to try growing a few tomatoes in grow bags. A super sweet 100 cherry and not sure what else yet. I usually go with Big Beef.

Got a bunch of Little Leaf cucumber seeds under a grow light now.
View Quote

Big beef may be the beefsteak Tom I planted. Sweet 100 were the bomb back when I was gardening g in Florida.  Huge yeilds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By thorn653:
Nice garden area OP!
I just started my first compost pile the other day, hopefully I get some good soil from it.
Have you guys ever made a worm bin for composting?
View Quote

Right now, my compost pile is a worm bin. No container, just a cold pile and they moved in and took over. Started another pile and I am about to try and extract the casings and  move the new pile onto the the remains of the old one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Exactly how big is your garden? Looks like you got all of us beat. I will max out at about 0.12 acre this year
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams] [#9]
Beefsteak tomatoes, better boy tomatoes, variety of peppers , green beans, snap peas, and oakra.
Potatoes and onions.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn southerners. I'm still waiting just to plants out to harden off, and some of my seedlings are starting to wither from lack of REAL sun, not the grow lights.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:06:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kentucky_smith] [#11]
Originally Posted By billyhill:

Exactly how big is your garden? Looks like you got all of us beat. I will max out at about 0.12 acre this year
View Quote
It's about 2/10s of an acre.  That's the old tobacco plant bed spot.  I usually don't even plow it, just run tiller through it a couple of times, but already had the plows on for a 5 acre field I'm putting alfalfa in.  Some of it's going to be pumpkins, so it won't really be that big.  Also, I use a tractor for everything and just run the cultivating tractor through it for weed control or if I'm feeling sporty, walk though with a hoe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome.

I am waiting to see the damage this afternoon,  got down to 31 last night.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]
It got down to the same here.

It will probably be another couple weeks before I plant anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Damn southerners. I'm still waiting just to plants out to harden off, and some of my seedlings are starting to wither from lack of REAL sun, not the grow lights.
View Quote

I'm in WI too.
This thread is making me want to move further south!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome.

I am waiting to see the damage this afternoon,  got down to 31 last night.
View Quote

1/2 my tomatoes are very sad. I may have kept the majority of the peppers. Everything else seems untouched.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:21:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milsurpninja] [#16]
Forming rows today and mulching in between with hay.  First year in Alabama so I can't figure out if I'm early, late, or on-time.  

Attachment Attached File

Tomatoes and peppers are getting there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
Forming rows today and mulching in between with hay.  First year in Alabama so I can't figure out if I'm early, late, or on-time.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102025/169F4F93-C644-4D12-889A-547809998A7C_jpe-1914749.JPG

Tomatoes and peppers are getting there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102025/1D2FF652-6147-4623-B02E-E91A0A0D8F4E_jpe-1914750.JPG
View Quote

Where in Alabama? There is quiet a range between Mobile and Huntsville.

Your grow lights might be more effective if you wrapped your shelves in a mylar blanket. Line the shelves with it too. Foil will work, but is more of a pain to work with.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Garden escaped with very little damage. Cutworms took a tomato plants.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Slicing cucumbers, burpless cucumbers, 2 cayenne pepper, 2 big boy tomato, 2 yellow sun sugar tomato, 2 yellow small tomato, 2 black Krim tomato, 2 beefsteak, 1 yellow and one green zucchini, boysenberry, marionberry, loganberry, blackberry vines, 2 blueberry bushes, Yukon gold, red and russet potatoes.  Snow, snap, sugar peas, and bush beans.

Flowers are iris, gladiolus, and dahlia.  Enough to keep me busy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Where in Alabama? There is quiet a range between Mobile and Huntsville.

Your grow lights might be more effective if you wrapped your shelves in a mylar blanket. Line the shelves with it too. Foil will work, but is more of a pain to work with.
View Quote

Huntsville area.  Neat idea about the mylar, thanks!

Frost got my potatoes last night.    I think they might survive it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Had to downsize to raised beds only since the deer eat everything and the neighbors are too close to shoot em

Lettuce, spinach are starting to peek up a little through the dirt, cabbage plants aren’t frozen yet except for a couple leaves. Still have taters, tomatoes, peppers, mustard, and beans to plant.

Thermometer showed 23 last night, had snow showers yesterday

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Wow, that's colder than we got.

I am grateful for only 35.

I have onions in the garden, and nothing else yet.  Want to do more but may only do tomatoes this year.  Not any I started.  But some is better than none I guess.
View Quote

Yeah I was freezing heading to work that morning! Tonight high 30s but still covered the plants.

It would be awesome to have a huge garden but we don’t have the dirt or the space. Then working on the coop for the chickens coming in 1st of the month. Lettuce and spinach just barely peeking up, and the seed potatoes should be here in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:

Huntsville area.  Neat idea about the mylar, thanks!

Frost got my potatoes last night.    I think they might survive it.
View Quote

My first set of potatoes went in February,  they have already been hit by frost once. They bounced right back.

The amount of "wasted" light is surprising.  By setting up the internal reflection, a lot more light gets to the plants..
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Your photos just about made me cry.

That plow....and the dirt turned over, and the edge of the plowed ground....I can't even tell you what wonderful memories that brings.

View Quote

Serious question kitties, can you smell that turned earth when you think about it? I can and it is so vivid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: klutz347] [#28]
What's up in the garden?  Weeds.

I have another 3 weeks or so before I can put anything in the ground.  One of my co-workers planted almost 2weeks ago and all of her plants got hit by frost and a cold snap we had last week.

Right now I'm just working the dirt and getting things ready.  I took out some raised beds last fall that the wood was rotting away.  The area is small,  just around 18'x18'.  Got some compost, manure mixed it.

I just want it to warm up so I can get things in the ground.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By klutz347:
What's up in the garden?  Weeds.

I have another 3 weeks or so before I can put anything in the ground.  One of my co-workers planted almost 2weeks ago and all of her plants got hit by frost and a cold snap we had last week.

Right now I'm just working the dirt and getting things ready.  I took out some raised beds last fall that the wood was rotting away.  The area is small,  just around 18'x18'.  Got some compost, manure mixed it.

I just want it to warm up so I can get things in the ground.
View Quote
I watched a MIgardener video on youtube and he was saying you can put in lettuce and peas this time of year for Michigan.
I'm in WI, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Nothing has popped up yet but it's only been a week, so we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Serious question kitties, can you smell that turned earth when you think about it? I can and it is so vivid.
View Quote
Here you go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I will freely admit I like the smell of dirt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By thorn653:
I watched a MIgardener video on youtube and he was saying you can put in lettuce and peas this time of year for Michigan.
I'm in WI, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Nothing has popped up yet but it's only been a week, so we'll see.
View Quote

I planted some lettuce, peas, beets, and brussel sprouts yesterday. Planting beans, spinach, cabbage, and lettuce tonight. Some of my spinach over wintered so figured planting early (watched the same migardener video) wouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#33]
Had a long weekend and planted 5 types of squash and 2 types of  cukes . Still need to get eggplant and corn in the ground. Sweet potatoes and okra to follow in may.

Peas I put in last week have had a lousy germination rate. May have to replant some of them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a long weekend and planted 5 types of squash and 2 types of  cukes . Still need to get eggplant and corn in the ground. Sweet potatoes and okra to follow in may.

Peas I put in last week have had a lousy germination rate. May have to replant some of them.
View Quote

Do you direct sow your Okra?  Wondering why you wait until May?  I was just about to sow my first attempt at it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep I direct show. Okra can be persnickety about germination and likes the heat
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, I might hold off too!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Okra seeds can sometimes benefit from a soaking  before planting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got the initial patch of blueberries netted. We lost a ton of berries to birds last year and they are currently LOADED down. After dinner we'll replace all the tomatoes and peppers we lost in the frost. So much for not buying a single annual this year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd like to share

This is my first garden in many years.  I tilled a piece of the yard aprox 20' x 10'

I planted seeds for carrots, green beans, baby egg plant, bok choy, and potaoes a couple of weeks ago

All the seeds are up but I don't expect the bok choy to survive

Today I filled in with sweet potatoes, cukes, squash, big egg plants.  And I planted my better boy tomatoes in large pots, along with herbs in smaller pots

The photos were taken with terrible shadow conditions, sorry

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kentucky_smith] [#40]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Tillered again and planted corn, green beans (bush) and some cucumbers on one end. Attachment Attached File

Work crew isn't much.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Swanson405:

I planted some lettuce, peas, beets, and brussel sprouts yesterday. Planting beans, spinach, cabbage, and lettuce tonight. Some of my spinach over wintered so figured planting early (watched the same migardener video) wouldn't be an issue.
View Quote
Well, my lettuce has started to sprout so that's good news.
We've had a couple nights below freezing but they're in raised beds so that probably helped.
I think I'll wait until about the middle of May to plant other stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I envy you guys with the wide open, rich soil

Because of the trees in neighbors yards I will get 6-8 hrs of sun per day

And, we have clay soil which I am working on

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#45]
This is my first time growing anything from seed. I put 24 cucumber seeds in potting soil under a light a week ago. Only 7 have sprouted so far.

I can see now this should have been done back in March.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Clay is okay.  Holds a lot of nutrients.   Just have to loosen it up a bit with some compost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
I envy you guys with the wide open, rich soil

Because of the trees in neighbors yards I will get 6-8 hrs of sun per day

And, we have clay soil which I am working on

Clay is okay.  Holds a lot of nutrients.   Just have to loosen it up a bit with some compost.

I am throwing some daikon "tillage" radishes as a mixed food/cover crop this fall. Suppose to penetrate clay well and add some organic matter deep into the soil. They Die at 25 Farenheit and you leave them to rot until spring g
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Oh yeah.  That's part of the emotion attached to it.  I can even still feel the sun on my face and the cool, soft dirt under my bare feet as I walked behind the tractor while my dad plowed.   We had arrowheads everywhere on our land, and my dad could often spot them when he was cultivating, but using the turning plow, it was my job to follow and watch for them.  
View Quote

Smell of hay does that too.

Diesel fumes Remind me of standing by the bus at recieving on Parris Island. Smell is funny stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I have several pumpkin plants from the pumpkin guts and seeds from Halloween.

I have something else coming up strong but I have no idea what I planted in that spot, so waiting to see if it reveals what it is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#49]

I am throwing some daikon "tillage" radishes as a mixed food/cover crop this fall. Suppose to penetrate clay well and add some organic matter deep into the soil. They Die at 25 Farenheit and you leave them to rot until spring g
View Quote

Just looked those up.  Cool idea!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#50]
Got a look at the peas and the results were mixed. One type came up well, these were actually leftovers from last year a friend gave me. The other were top pick purple hull from gurney's.  Worst looking batch of seed I have ever seen, lots of discolored and worm holes seeds. I tried to high grade it and pick out the bad but it doesn't appear to have helped. Planted at double the recommended rate and still have an estimated 30 % of the row is empty space.

Cukes are up, still waiting on the squash to show. Pepper germination rate has been lackluster. Didn't help that my daughter failed to water them like she should have.

Was hoping to get out and work some today but doctor's appointments are eating the day.

Still got to plant corn, eggplant, tomatillo,  and something else I can't even remember.

Bok choy is coming in, spinach will be ready soon. I wish I was retired.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top