Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2022 11:20:47 PM EDT
I even found a source for fake air tags, to use as decoys.

I'm gonna hide so many fakes in that sucka, they'll never find the real one!  

I don't even have an Apple smartphone or other compatible device - but several close friends do.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen blogs, videos and have heard online about a few people already being able to quickly recover their rigs.
I bet criminals are starting to look for them.

Any deterrent is a good deterrent. Even if it is fake.
Look at the fake cameras of the early 90's one could buy. Criminals would pass those places up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have them in both of our cars and hidden in long guns I keep in them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
UPDATE: Works really well.

Basically, anyone with an iPhone who happens to wander by gets "pinged" - and after that, you know exactly where the RV is.

My particular RV is of molded fiberglass construction - which means that it doesn't block Bluetooth signals. The tag could be hidden just about anywhere inside, and still emit a strong signal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Use them in my car and motorcycle. They are cheap enough and they do work. However mine are not airtags. Airtags are for Iphones, Samsung makes the same thing but for Samsung Androids.
One on wifey's keyring makes it a bit easier to find them in the morning too.

I won't mention being able to see where your kids actually went as an option though, might be less than ethical ya know.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
How would you attach one to say a utility trailer?  

One of those magnetic key hider boxes?

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#6]
^A metal key holder wouldn't be ideal, since the metal would block most of the tag's Bluetooth signal.

Something made of plastic, fiberglass or wood would be better.

Ebay sells little stick-on silicone pouches for them, in various colors.

Quoted:
Samsung makes the same thing but for Samsung Androids.
View Quote

The problem with the Samsung tags is that they're only capable of pinging other Samsung phones - which significantly reduces the chance of being able to discover the location of an RV after it's been stolen.

The Apple tag can ping just about any Apple phone running a recent OS.

I don't have an Apple phone, but an acquaintance does - and that's all I need to be able to track the RV if it's ever stolen.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I won't mention being able to see where your kids actually went as an option though, might be less than ethical ya know.
View Quote

Maybe by pinging other kids' phones it'll be more accurate than Life360.

Couple months ago a co-worker's 16 year old showed up at the shopping center two miles from the high school.
Hey, kid, where are you?
English class, why do you ask? (and yes, he really was in English class, and his phone was too)

Another time my kid, heading north to visit her grandma, traveled 90 miles west in a few minutes. 15 minutes later she was back on the path to granny's house. Must've met a guy with a fast helicopter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like they start making noise after being separated from the owner for a period of time.

While it's an OK anti stalking thing, it isn't a good anti theft thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
^The Airtag plays a short sequence of beeps once after it's been separated from its "owner" for a while - After that, it's completely silent.

If that initial sound was a concern, you could put it inside something that absorbs sound.

ETA: How to disable an Airtag speaker:

Best way to open and mute (disable speaker) an AirTag with zero damage to the AirTag.

I just disabled the speaker in mine - Basically, you just yank the speaker magnet out of it:

Attachment Attached File
\

Exact release tab locations:

Attachment Attached File

How To Turn Off or Customize Alerts on your AirTag
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
No but I put one on my Great Pyrenees collar. When she wanders 3 miles I will know what direction to go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Might be able to fit one inside a plastic tail light housing.
Most of these can be hung on a keyring or cable tie.
I know the Samsung isn't as well supported as Iphone but when you just don't want an Iphone you get what you want.
Iphone also have that stalking alert thing. Kinda defeats the stealth mode if the operator gets a stalking alert why trying to be devious.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone stealing an RV will need to get their head checked. They will probably bring it back anyway after they see how much it costs to keep fuel in it and keep it up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone stealing an RV will need to get their head checked. They will probably bring it back anyway after they see how much it costs to keep fuel in it and keep it up.
View Quote

RAW: Police Chase Stolen Motorhome in Los Angeles [FULL VIDEO]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#15]
You would be surprised how often trailers & RVs are stolen.  A group last year broke into a long term storage place & stole two travel trailers & an RV.  They take them out of state & sell them as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You would be surprised how often trailers & RVs are stolen.  A group last year broke into a long term storage place & stole two travel trailers & an RV.  They take them out of state & sell them as quickly as possible.
View Quote

Thanks for bumping the thread.  You just cost me $89 for a 4 pack from Bezos place.

I had been meaning to buy them anyways, just forgot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How would you attach one to say a utility trailer?  

One of those magnetic key hider boxes?

View Quote

I'd put it inside a tail light.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
^Some of the LED tail light bulbs generate a crazy amount of RF interference any time they're on - could easily disable the Air Tag whenever the bulb was lit.

The Tag would still work fine the rest of the time, though.

On a pickup, some non-metallic spot in the tailgate could be a good location, since tailgates are also popular targets for thieves.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
^Some of the LED tail light bulbs generate a crazy amount of RF interference any time they're on - could easily disable the Air Tag whenever the bulb was lit.

The Tag would still work fine the rest of the time, though.

On a pickup, some non-metallic spot in the tailgate could be a good location, since tailgates are also popular targets for thieves.
View Quote

The Samsung has a better design it has a hole that you can screw or zip tie on
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  The Samsung has a better design it has a hole that you can screw or zip tie on
View Quote

The tracking network sounds rather inferior to Apple's, however.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
So because you jerks cost me $89 for a 4 pack from Bezos Mart, I'll spam your travel travel trailer thread with utility trailer stuff.

So i got the 4 pack today and put one in the glove box of my truck and one in the 40MM ammo can I have for a box on my trailer.  The truck I get at least 20-30 feet away easily.  The box is 5-10 feet.  I do plan on externally mounting them with the plastic key boxes this weekend.

My first real test with other people's phones will probably be Friday when I have to stop at Home Depot and Walmart.

Signal gets through this easily, but the metal box is obviously degrading it.

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
^Amazing that you're still getting a signal from inside the ammo can.

I don't know if Air Tags work this way - but some RF devices automatically increase their transmit power when in weak signal areas - which adversely affects battery life.

That would be another good reason to put it inside something that makes its job easier.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
^Amazing that you're still getting a signal from inside the ammo can.

I don't know if Air Tags work this way - but some RF devices automatically increase their transmit power when in weak signal areas - which adversely affects battery life.

That would be another good reason to put it inside something that makes its job easier.
View Quote

Yeah, I was pretty surprised.  I'm definetly mounting somewhere else, but I figured I would try it out.

Also, good point on batteries and I also have no idea if air tags work like this.  I have 0 bars of any cell service here.  The phone is always searching for coverage and doesn't like it.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Did this for several friends, remove the trim from a ceiling vent on the inside of the camper. Attach the airtag to the underside of the roof with Gorilla tape and reinstall the trim. If it's easy for you to get to it, it's easy for a thief to get to it. Also behind the reefer covers (plastic) are another good spot, and mostly overlooked.

HTH ... Jim
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Because of this thread, I bought a 4 pack. One in the truck, one in the jet ski, and one for each suitcase.

American Airlines lost a suitcase on my way back to ARG. I said, nope it's not lost. You dummies left it in Miami.

AirTags are great and I will buy more!

Accountant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top