Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2020 5:59:42 AM EDT
Just ordered one and wondered if anyone uses one and has any tips...
TIA
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for General SDR interest.  Is it just a receiver, or does it transmit also?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a receiver...but in its day it was considered one of the best available
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a pretty decent receiver. 14bit is still the standard.

I got an rspduo sdr and I'm still learning how to run it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
**Newbie alert**
What's the point of having a receiver-only SDR?  Is it just so you can monitor another frequency than what your transceiver is set to?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
or listen & view an entire swath of Spectrum at once...in other words imagine if your radio could hear "everything" it's capable of 'hearing" at once.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
**Newbie alert**
What's the point of having a receiver-only SDR?  Is it just so you can monitor another frequency than what your transceiver is set to?
View Quote
They have incredibly powerful spectrum awareness tools that are simply not possible on the average front pannel. Combine that with the fact that you can get that for a couple hundred dollars and you got value.

FWIW you can so get transmitters that are software defined that's just not what the OP is discussing. The Xigu product line of transceivers is software defined for example.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
**Newbie alert**
View Quote
I can scan /search the entire 225-400 milair band in around a serving with an Airspy SDR.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a kiwi SDR connected internally in the receive path  of my IC-7300, the same connection as the INRAD RX7300 Receive Only Input Modification Kits RX7300 that allows a separate receive antenna to be used with the IC-7300.

No need for a relay or anything else to transmit.

It allows me to see a high res waterfall display of the entire spectrum from  10Khz to 30 Mhz or zoom into any bandwith display from any band or in specific areas of a band to mostly just the signal I want to see on any monitor and also listen via a computer.

It truly is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a kiwi SDR connected internally in the receive path  of my IC-7300, the same connection as the INRAD RX7300 Receive Only Input Modification Kits RX7300 that allows a separate receive antenna to be used with the IC-7300.

It allows me to see a high res waterfall display of the entire spectrum from  10Khz to 30 Mhz or zoom into any bandwith display from any band or in specific areas of a band to mostly just the signal I want to see on any monitor and also listen via a computer.

It truly is amazing.
View Quote
This is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It truly is amazing.
To be clear, the install kit is not the same as the Inrad kit. It just connects internally in the same spot. The parts used are not even a kit as far as I know. It is something my son put together and uses SMA connectors instead of RCA jacks like the INRAD kit uses, that way nothing can fall off and it uses coax instead of just wire..

I will ask him where he got the parts. Maybe it is a kit, I don't know. It was a Christmas present from him.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The Perseus killer feature is it’s ability to schedule and record the entire spectrum for future listening...provided you have lots of available memory
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To be clear, the install kit is not the same as the Inrad kit. It just connects internally in the same spot. The parts used are not even a kit as far as I know. It is something my son put together and uses SMA connectors instead of RCA jacks like the INRAD kit uses, that way nothing can fall off and it uses coax instead of just wire..

I will ask him where he got the parts. Maybe it is a kit, I don't know. It was a Christmas present from him.
View Quote
I have the same setup, it's almost certainly the RX-7300 at HRO since that's the only thing I'm aware of with SMA.
Well, almost the same setup. I have a HackRF since I had one just laying around.
The HackRF is pretty limited for this kind of application, but it works enough for me to tune around and see what's up, it's amazing!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a power splitter (Minicircuits ZSC-2-1 works great), an SDR that can tune down to HF, and an RX7300 kit.

Install the kit, put the cable from the new "out" SMA port into the splitter. Put one splitter output back into the IC7300 "in" port, and the other output into your SDR.

This preserves the normal function of the IC7300, but allows simultaneous usage of the SDR to receive whatever you're interested in - and it benefits from the filtering and ATU of the IC7300, which is nice!

It's safe enough for input to both the HackRF and KiwiSDR even when transmitting at the max of 100W - it's loud, but not so much that I worry about it. I think 100W gets juuuust over -10dBFS on the HackRF, and there's a little more room on the Kiwi, I think.

And, if you don't want to sacrifice 3dB to the math gods in the splitter, it's easy to choose just the SDR or just the IC7300 and reclaim it by disconnecting the splitter and only going using the one you want.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have the same setup, it's almost certainly the RX-7300 at HRO since that's the only thing I'm aware of with SMA.
Well, almost the same setup. I have a HackRF since I had one just laying around.
The HackRF is pretty limited for this kind of application, but it works enough for me to tune around and see what's up, it's amazing!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep that is it!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
This is very interesting to me because I've wondered before about rigging up a second antenna for receive-only.  My vertical seems to transmit well, but I seem to run into people that can hear me when I can barely hear them more often than the other way around.  I know part of that is just me learning to tweak the settings on my 7300 to receive better, but it's good to know that running dual antennas is an option if I ever decide to go that route.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

My "Rube Goldberg" bit of overkill protection for my SDRplay and front end the IC-7300 from my HF amp. I used the Inrad RX-7300 kit along with a KD9SV Front End Saver. I also used a Micro Circuits splitter with a BCB filter to kill the birdies generated from a nearby 50kw AM station that was crushing my SDRplay receiver.

Now I have the PTRX-7300 installed in my 7300.  It's much cleaner approach without the 3db loss of the Micro Circuits splitter. The IC-7300 is my backup station for my Flex 6400.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You can easily kill your SDR receiver or your IC-7300 receiver if you run legal limit so please consider taking some precautions to protect your gear. The typical ham's first thought is to go cheap and this half-assed approach may hit your pocketbook very hard if you let the smoke out of your gear prematurely.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
speaking of SDR - are things yet advanced enough to where you can decode digital modes comms directly from the SDR waterfall?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
speaking of SDR - are things yet advanced enough to where you can decode digital modes comms directly from the SDR waterfall?
View Quote
Yep you can use a virtual audio cable to pipe sdr data into the software of your choice.

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The waterfall is just a 2D FFT. That means all it is, is a graphical representation of time vs power at frequency. The "persistence" that you have of the water fall scrolling (ability to see past signals) is just a data point and not the actual data that made that point.

The best way to explain that is like a spread sheet. Each row would contain a weeks worth of bank account balances. As you scroll down the date changes back in time. You can click on that cell and see what the account balance was, but it's just excel you have no access to your money.

In order to decode from the water fall you would need to apply a buffer so that you are constantly recording samples. Then when you look at the waterfall you request samples. From the IQ file at that time and position.

SDR Console use to give you a 10sec buffer or so but it was all done in ram so it was dependent on the specs of your machine on what radios you could support.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Well...Perseus was back ordered...so I cancelled and ordered a sdrplay dx along with a wellbrook mag loop...worked out cheaper...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well...Perseus was back ordered...so I cancelled and ordered a sdrplay dx along with a wellbrook mag loop...worked out cheaper...
View Quote
Outstanding!!! You will find that you can mount the loop low to the ground and for best performance consider using a antenna rotator to make it really shine. Mounting the loop high does little for performance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think you will love it! I'm still learning what mine can do. Unbelievable technology for the money.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Wellbrook 1350LN arrived from blightey and the SDR play DX arrived the day before...quite the step up from the tram discone and RTL SDR dongle I was playing with...A bit of a learning curve using SDR Uno software in comparison to SDR sharp...but now Im over that hump Ill start digging into the mass of additional capabilities along with the various decoding capabilities that it offers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top