Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2021 9:22:53 PM EDT
Big thread from GD

Rioters have burned and looted everything, destroyed cell towers, burned schools, burned malls, burned the water treatment plants, looted and burned food distribution centers and stores and delivery systems.  People are now waiting in lines thousands deep for limited food purchases.  Not much weapons to protect neighborhoods, police even taking part in looting, no protection.  Mostly in eastern South Africa.  Our stuff this last summer is not near this bad, but could be.  All the more reason to have supplies of all kinds, backups, weapons, armor, training, escape plans and routes, etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Big thread from GD

Rioters have burned and looted everything, destroyed cell towers, burned schools, burned malls, burned the water treatment plants, looted and burned food distribution centers and stores and delivery systems.  People are now waiting in lines thousands deep for limited food purchases.  Not much weapons to protect neighborhoods, police even taking part in looting, no protection.  Mostly in eastern South Africa.  Our stuff this last summer is not near this bad, but could be.  All the more reason to have supplies of all kinds, backups, weapons, armor, training, escape plans and routes, etc.
View Quote

You made a separate thread to advertise the thread we already have going?

My bad bud! Saw this is on the survival forum.

First post does not nail it
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, as closely as I can. Makes it abundantly clear just how fast things can unravel.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, as closely as I can. Makes it abundantly clear just how fast things can unravel.
View Quote

That is one of the main takeaways.  It can go fast, especially with a corrupt and inept government.  Most of use don't expect people to destroy basic services and yet it happened there.  Being prepared for such is important and for no help.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
@boerseun

Any thoughts or input? You usually have good insight/contacts in that part of the world.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been following that thread. Civil unrest (riots) are happening in lots of places.
Could happen here easily. Especially if food gets scarce.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Following it very closely. I have a number of very close friends that live there. I just came back from ZA last month. It's not something strange for Africa in general and comes down to tribalism and a culture of corruption and whiney-baby-ism.

It doesn't worry me enough to stop me still planning to move there in the not too distant future. Yeah, it's not a super stable country (or continent for that matter) but that doesn't really affect things outside of the cities. The place I'm working on buying is pretty huge, hard to get to and totally off the grid so I'm not especially concerned about the stability or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Following it very closely. I have a number of very close friends that live there. I just came back from ZA last month. It's not something strange for Africa in general and comes down to tribalism and a culture of corruption and whiney-baby-ism.

It doesn't worry me enough to stop me still planning to move there in the not too distant future. Yeah, it's not a super stable country (or continent for that matter) but that doesn't really affect things outside of the cities. The place I'm working on buying is pretty huge, hard to get to and totally off the grid so I'm not especially concerned about the stability or lack thereof.
View Quote

I’m interested in your thoughts and experiences but I also question your sanity. Do you have a business there? What could possibly lead you to think this is a good idea? Bringing family?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm interested in your thoughts and experiences but I also question your sanity. Do you have a business there? What could possibly lead you to think this is a good idea? Bringing family?
View Quote
It can be a dangerous country, no getting around that. Still, once you've spent some time there like I have and have come to understand the situation and the cultures there and know how to conduct yourself it's not so dangerous and you find out what a wonderful place it is under the veneer of shit-hole-istan that they so carefully cultivate. One can have a really nice life there and there's a HUGE expat community from all over the world. I'm working on buying a game farm there and I have a few other business interests there already. The game farm is really meant for me and my friends from around the world that want to come out and have a proper American style hunt for African plains game. Add in the occasional full price paying hunter and the other business interests I have going on there and I'm doing ok on money more or less forever. I won't be buying Rolex watches but I'll be able to live out my days comfortably. Men in my family don't get old and I refuse to work right up until I die so this is kinda my retirement. I won't be bringing any family.

A little Afrikaaner humor:

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Would love to have that much gas and ability to store, unfortunately, I don't.  I do keep 30-35 gallons on hand at any given time.  

I added some additional, easy-to-grab food in case of getting out that doesn't require prep like Dinty Moore stuff, chilis, other canned ready to eat stuff.  Long term is really good, but still increasing it to cover my daughter in law and their baby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top