Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2019 3:12:34 PM EDT
My buddy just picked up this HT and I was going to program it for him, I own the MD-390 UHF non-GPS model but only use it for digital and not analog.  Figured it wouldn't be that hard to program both on this MD-uv380.

I created four channels for the four analog UHF repeaters in the area, and so far just one channel for a local analog VHF repeater.  I have one zone created called Analog UHF/VHF with the UHF channels in VFO-A and the VHF channel in VFO-B.  When I write this data to the radio, the radio goes in to MEM mode and shows the same 450.000 frequency on all four VFO-A channels, and 145.500(IIRC) for the one VFO-B channel.  If I switch the radio to CH mode in the menu > radio settings > mode on the radio I can now see the channel names...but trying to test on the local VHF repeater isn't working.  I can't TX or RX on that repeater.

In the channel settings for that one VHF repeater I have the RX and TX frequencies set, bandwidth set to 25KHz, channel mode set to Analog, CFCSS/DCS Dec and CFCSS/DCS Enc set to the required PL tone of this repeater, and didn't touch any other settings on that page.  For whatever reason these settings aren't working and it's probably due to user error.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 380 on the shelf. I was successful in adding UHF repeaters to the programming, but can’t tell you how I did it (too long ago) Sorry, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the md-uv380 can do analog and digital, and I'm 99% sure I have this VHF repeater channel programmed correctly based on what little info I could find online for analog channel programming on these radios, but it just wont TX or RX on that repeater.  I know how to do digital channels and setting it up to work on a hotspot, had no issue with my dmr-use-only md-390 after spending several days figuring it out.

Really starting to dislike these TYT/AnyTone radios, far too complicated.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
And you thought japanese was hard to translate to english, chinese just doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
While digging around some more on google I found several references to the radio being locked from the factory, but figured it was just to keep out-of-band operation locked out.  Decided to unlock it anyway and the son of a bitch works fine now.  Howoever, I can only see in lastheard when I key to the private tg 9990 for parrot and it does play back my audio but I can't see the other TGs I try to key/subscribe to.  This may be a matter of wrong color code/repeater slot settings on the hotspot/radio...?  Hotspot is set to Brandmeister 3102 and color code 1, all the hotspot channels are set to color code 1 and repeater slot 2...same as my setup except I'm on TGIF.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
They are locking them to try to comply with the FCC's red ass over regulatory BS.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Still haven't been able to figure out why Brandmeister lastheard isn't seeing me tap PTT on his radio on any talkgroups except TG9990(Parrot) which works fine.  At this point I'm 100% convinced my settings are correct and the only thing I'm unsure about is the fact he is not registered on Brandmeister's website.  Can anyone with a DMR ID use the Brandmeister network or do you need an account to access any TG other than Parrot?

I suppose I could test that theory by switching his hotspot over to TGIF and trying to listen to something active like TG31665, but I haven't actually tried to voice on any TGs up to this point other than Parrot because I'm using his radio and hotspot which both have his callsign and DMR ID in them which I'm sure is against some rule somewhere.

Edit: While watching a specific TG on hose.brandmeister.network/group/TG# I was able to see him show up in the list when I tapped PTT to subscribe to that TG but it drops off the list after a few seconds?  It still didn't show up on the Brandmeister lastheard page. Maybe they filter out TX under a certain length so the list isn't spammed with people manually subscribing to talkgroups via PTT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top