Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2020 12:24:40 AM EDT
First two sits I decided to just sit in the blind with my wife and watch her take her first buck.  Well first two sits netted us not a single deer sighting.

Third trip up I told her we were hitting Juneau County(no doe tags for Juneau County due to low numbers but I prefer to hunt it because there is less pressure and bigger bucks than Green Lake County where we go to fill the freezer).  I tell her to put her big boy pants on because I'm heading to my treestand so she's on her own(she's not a fan of being out in the woods alone past dark).

Helped her find a spot to put her blind up in some Oaks that always see a fair amount of traffic early season and head out to my treestand.  1hr later I get a text "I shot a buck!."

She wasn't sure of the shot so I told her I was going to sit until dark then we could go look.  I didn't see shit all night.  It was a tough track(single lung and liver on a hard quartering shot with a high exit that didn't bleed) but the deer didn't go very far before bedding down.

I've been up six times since then, SIX, and today was the first god damn deer I've seen all year.  Happened to be a very nice 8 running down a doe off in the distance but even so...  Both times I sit with her we don't see shit, literally within the first hr hunting without me she smokes a deer.

This bowhunting is dildos.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread is dildos without pics
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread is dildos without pics
View Quote

She shot a little 3 pointer with pretty nice body size for it's age so when I told her to take a picture of it this is what she got.
Attachment Attached File

I did drop a dog last week.

Attachment Attached File

I aint posting pics of my wife for you weirdos but I will post a reenactment of last night at the Towely household with emotes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Total suckfest for me this year.
I've seen some but they're either to far away or on my neighbors land.
I had 513 pictures on my camera and three were the same buck in the same 5 mins.
Wisconsin should make gun season earlier.  I always see more deer during bow season for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh, Ive got 4 more tags to fill in my household.
I did take a lil 3 pointer yesterday morning which looks exactly like yours. Table buck.

Missed out on my Elk season due to influx of work and worried about a long winter if sleepy joe shuts the country down.
Still have a bear tag as well.

It is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Meh, Ive got 4 more tags to fill in my household.
I did take a lil 3 pointer yesterday morning which looks exactly like yours. Table buck.

Missed out on my Elk season due to influx of work and worried about a long winter if sleepy joe shuts the country down.
Still have a bear tag as well.

It is what it is.
View Quote

I get two tags to fill every year.  No doe tags where I prefer to hunt so I get a buck tag for archery season and a buck tag for gun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
An hr in this morning I missed a monster 12pt low. At the end of the day my buddy and both missed a 6
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The woods I hunt still has a lot of corn up around it.   I’ve seen 2 bucks this year, and both were well out of xbow range.

Hopefully the farmers get the corn picked this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#8]
My blind got vandalized and my stuff tossed around. So that was fun setting up in the dark making a shitload of noise on opener. Good times.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a complete miss on opening weekend (released in a hurry at the wrong moment).  Scratched the back of one on Thursday morning which was a relatively cheap lesson in why you should try to shoot an arrow into a target behind grass.   But I connected well enough later that evening.

Haven't had a bad archery shot in like 7 years now, so it's a little unsettling.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck yes, I do. I managed to shoot a doe back in September, but I've been busted left and right, and watched tons of bucks and does walk by just behind thick cover, or at bad angles where I couldn't get a shot. Can't fucking wait for gun season.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

She shot a little 3 pointer with pretty nice body size for it's age so when I told her to take a picture of it this is what she got.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/87488/121687871_10157618181337828_233435823351-1673110.JPG

I did drop a dog last week.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/87488/coyote2020_jpg-1673112.JPG

I aint posting pics of my wife for you weirdos but I will post a reenactment of last night at the Towely household with emotes.
View Quote
I meant pics of dead animals anyway, so all good here
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I made up for the bad opener.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I still have the tail end of the rona including the constant nagging cough so I haven’t even been in the woods yet. So yeah you could say it sucks so far this year.  I am currently, as I type this, missing my first rifle opening day since 1990.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Rifle opens tomorrow. Should be 20 overnight and very little wind. @Towely better bundle up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I had covid back in October.  My doc says that my lungs will be a bit sensitive to infections for a few months.
Holy shit is he right.

The kids caught a sinus infection a week before I went up to deer camp.
Naturally I caught it and it ended up being bronchitis.

I was sitting in the tree stand and coughing like a cancer patient.  
I watched a deer walking towards me. Felt the urge to cough. Fought it for a few minutes.  The buck came closer. I was straining to not cough.  
I couldn’t take it any more and let out a cough.
He turned around and walked away.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Got down to the wire for me. Had a beauty of a 10 point come into the stand. Problem is, I had a doe tag. He tooled around for a bit then put his nose to the wind. Not long after, 2 does worked around. He was eager, I tell ya. He went for one and got an open door. The other, not so much. In the shuffle, he pushed them in a big circle back to me and I popped one. Nose dive. 30-30 170 gr from Winchester Super X/Marlin 336 at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Total reverse here from last year.  Farmers got the crops out fairly early (took till Dec. last year if at all for some).  Last year was a bust for me and the wife along with most people in our area.

This year has been very good.  I've gotten two mid-size does and the first day of shotgun here sounded like the 4th of July at sunrise.  Got 50+lbs of burger in the frig and some nice backstrap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
My hunting unit burned to the ground during the season

I had to fight for a refund.

Worst year so far.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Only killed two squirrels this year with my bow. Cousin wounded the big buck that was hanging around my stand and haven't seen any mature bucks since. Probably because several people have been hunting my stand when I'm not there.

25 yards

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope.

Three deer for me and my friend I hunt with.

90+ pounds of sausage today.  Tons of roasts and backstraps already in the freezer.

Hunting was about the only good thing so far in 2020

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#22]
No bueno for me yet, although I still have some trips out left.

I mainly hunt for the meat so I don't give a shit if I shoot a doe or a buck.  Meat is meat.

Saw a few doe my first day out but they were about 250 yards out and my 350 Legend doesn't shoot well beyond 150 so I couldn't shoot.  Saw a few more over the weekend but none of them presented good shooting opportunities.  I'm selling my 350L to a buddy and just bought a Ruger No. 1 in 450 Bushmaster and will be taking that out next weekend which will give me an extra 100 yards of shooting to work with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Rifle opens tomorrow. Should be 20 overnight and very little wind. @Towely better bundle up.
View Quote

Was actually a pretty mild weekend for gun opener.  We tent camped and the little propane space heater kept us plenty warm last night.

Didn't see shit Saturday, had two doe walk by today though(no doe tags by us...).

Just a tough area to hunt, even if you do everything right odds of seeing a deer are slim.  Numbers are on the upswing but the coyote population is rebounding as well.  Unfortunately its a 3hr drive for me to get there or I'd take up trapping.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:24:46 AM EDT
[#24]
After a couple bad years, I was going to take the year off from hunting, and then due to work stuff I couldn't have gone if I wanted to. So naturally, I got a call from my buddy that I go with and there were more deer than you could shake a stick at this year.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#25]
seen two deer this year and one out of range one tiny buck. next weeks our gun seasom hopefully fill a few tags next week
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#26]
It's been a good season for seeing deer so far. I've had 82 buck sightings so far, counting sightings as bucks I see each morning and each afternoon every day I'm hunting, which is most days from late October through muzzleloading season early January. Lots of the same deer over the whole time period I'm sure. I saw one buck 3 evenings in a row that would have scored in the 150's. Would have been a sure thing if it were gun season instead of bow season. I've seen two bobcats at the same time this year, that's a first for me in an area where most people don't see one their entire lives. Saw two bucks smaller than I'd shoot fighting two different times within 15 yards of one of my stands. It's been a good year. Maybe I'll get a crack at that 10 point this upcoming gun season.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I've hunted every single day this year since bow came in in OCT. Shot the biggest deer of my life and didn't find him. One month later I had my buddy come down to hunt. Put him in my best stand. He shoots a nice 8 and 2 minutes later the deer I shot in bow walks in. I was accoss a street with my boy. My boy had that buck in his crosshairs, the deer had to take 5 steps accoss the road and he would be dead. Fucker turned right around and did the 1000 yd sprint.

This year has sucked
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's been a good season for seeing deer so far. I've had 82 buck sightings so far, counting sightings as bucks I see each morning and each afternoon every day I'm hunting, which is most days from late October through muzzleloading season early January. Lots of the same deer over the whole time period I'm sure. I saw one buck 3 evenings in a row that would have scored in the 150's. Would have been a sure thing if it were gun season instead of bow season. I've seen two bobcats at the same time this year, that's a first for me in an area where most people don't see one their entire lives. Saw two bucks smaller than I'd shoot fighting two different times within 15 yards of one of my stands. It's been a good year. Maybe I'll get a crack at that 10 point this upcoming gun season.
View Quote

Same here. I go at least once per day and most times twice. Bunch of small bucks and usually 6-15 does. One hot afternoon, I didn’t see anything. I have seen bucks fighting, does nursing, peeing in scrapes, and a bunch of chasing.  But no monsters.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#29]
It has been a rough one for me.  Almost all self induced.  Missed the same doe twice with my crossbow. The dirst time was my fault for not taking into consideration that she would duck when the arrow was released.  The second time.  I watched my arrow vear right for some reason.  Recovered it and shot it again at the same distance and it went straight into the center of the target. We have had such a large acorn drop this year that the corn I put out has rotted twice. I have pics and video of groups of deer walking right by the corn. Not even stopping for a few seconds.  The one deer I did shoot was a LOT smaller the I thought she was.

The deer have started eating the corn.  Of the 2 locations i hunt.  I had a couple of does show up during the day Wednesday and had not had anything but a faun show up at the other location.  So I hunted the 1st area yesterday and not a thing.  While right after first light my spypoint camera showed 4 point at the other location in the.  And yesterday evebing a group of 3 does..  

I guess that is why it is called hunting and not shooting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I let a few go with the bow this year.   Had a four point under my stand that came in to a scrape I had a scent dripper on.  A small doe with fawn hangs around my woodlot and lawn.   Edit, of course the bigger does I would have shot show up on my lawn on the days I am about to head out the door to work.

I went across the street to the neighbor’s farm and put in my pop up blind.,.....then the fog rolled in thick.  My 350 yard view went to 30 yards .  I sat it out.  My buddy left early, tells me about the buck hot on a doe right near my stand along the ridge back on my side of the road.  . Can’t but thats the game some times.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Work and hot weather has netted me zero this year.  Only been out twice and seen a few does and baby bucks and not even a damn pig.  Wife is getting nagging if I am gonna bring something home or not.  Freezer is getting low and ready for a couple deer and pigs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Keep your head up, guys!  The bad streaks will pass.

I've been hunting for 5 years now and have never gotten a deer.  This year I was becoming increasingly aggravated because I've seen them every year, they just haven't been within shooting ranges or were behind too much cover making a ethical shot improbable.  I only hunt gun season and I've been out five times already this year with no luck.  Went out this weekend and got a nice buck and a huge doe within a couple hours of one another.  Both were taken with my Ruger No. 1 450 Bushmaster.  I shot the buck at 184 yards and it dropped in its tracks, then within a couple hours of the buck going down two big doe walked in front of me and I hit one at 156 yards and it ran about 15 feet then crumpled.

You just have to be patient.  Again I was beginning to become really frustrated because I've been doing this for 5 years and putting in all kinds of time and effort and have gotten zero return back for my efforts.  Then I was lucky enough to finally get two in one day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I sucked until yesterday when my buddy and I each got a buck within 40 minutes of each other from the same stand.  Not monsters but decent for this area.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Zero deer for me this year.  I missed a nice 8 pointer during ML season.  That one was totally on me.  Rushed the shot and a clean miss.

I’ve let a bunch of little spikes walk.

I see deer every day out, but either I let them walk or they won’t give be an ethical shot
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

begs the question.....

What is this area?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

North central Arkansas.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Been slow for me, but nursing a bad knee.
One son killed a doe Saturday evening and wife took a decent 8 yesterday evening.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I got my first ever Grand Slam here in Maine.  First I got a Bear, then turkey, then moose and finally my deer.  Thats on top of my normal waterfowl season of duck and geese.  I had to go buy a second chest freezer....
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I've gotten 1 pig and 2 doe. My issue is finding time to go this year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I got my first ever Grand Slam here in Maine.  First I got a Bear, then turkey, then moose and finally my deer.  Thats on top of my normal waterfowl season of duck and geese.  I had to go buy a second chest freezer....
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Yep, every chance I've had to get out so far has been around a crappy warming trend. Weather has not cooperated at all. Trail cams have gone quiet the last week or so too, but with things cooling back down this week I'm optimistic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#43]
While I got an ok 10pt earlier in the bow season I honestly have to say this is the worst season I can remember in the Catskill Mountains of NY. Outside of my deer no one else has taken a deer on our mountain. We have not seen any rut activity at all. Some activity during the chasing phase but nothing after that. My 150ac old farm property did not produce a single buck picture that was worth anything and that is the first time that has ever happened.

Word around town is the same, no one is seeing any bucks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Feel a little better, took this 90lb Doe with my AAC Model 7 and Hornady 190 Sub X.  50 yd shot, she made it less than 50 yds and crashed dead.

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#45]
2020 hunting year started out as a big question mark.  

The very day after I put up a bunch of stands,  the adjoining property of about 350 acres began clear cutting.

They clear cut the entire 350 acres in a few weeks and now I can see up to a mile across that land which I cant hunt.

Spent all September not seeing anything. I have out 12 game cameras which also got zero pictures of deer.  This is during clear cut operations.

Last week of October Muzzleloader season opened and life changed.  Opening morning we had deer under every stand.  They were everywhere.   We ended up getting 4 that weekend.  

Rifle season started middle of November, once again deer everywhere.  We ended up getting 5 more over the weekend.  

Last week of November we got out first bear off the farm.

I guess the bear was the final straw as we have not seen a deer since.  They have gone away as fast as they arrived.  

This pattern of the deer disappearing occurs every year when Rifle season starts.  It is also Deer DOG running time.  The hunt clubs turn loose dozens of mutts and run the deer to death.  It also occurs just after the RUT so that might also impact them.

Hopefully the deer will return later this month.  They usually do.

Stay out there and stay safe

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:17:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my first and only Maine Gramd Slam in 2016. Huge congratulations, friend. Not an easy task with the wierd ass Moose lottery system and the drought this year. Made the whitetail sort of unpredictable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#48]
This was likely one of my best years.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Hell, OP, you're fine. I started hunting three years ago.

Saw and killed my first deer in December of this past year.

Almost bagged two, but my uncle was quick to respond with the gator to help me get my doe back to the house for cleaning. Spooked the other one as I was setting up for a shot on her when he came through the treeline and she darted off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top