Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2021 2:56:04 PM EDT
This is the second season for me. Vertical logs are all oak inoculated with shiitake. ones on the right are ~20 months old, to the left are ~16 months old. all are fruiting, 20% hot spawn and 80% cold spawn. The log cabin stack is mostly lions mane, with some blue oysters mixed in. Mostly maple, some oak. In the next few weeks I’m adding another 16-20 logs of blue oysters. Plan is to add 20 logs a year.

in the far background is a log I found with a large (15lb +) flush of lions mane all down the trunk. I cut it up and brought it back.

there are 6 pawpaws potted up that will be put in down there too.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked into this at my last house since we had a large wooded property in the back. I just didn't go through with it. I did read up on it quite a bit. Keep us posted I'd like to track your progress as it sounds like a cool project.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My daughter got a bag of Lion's Mane for Christmas that she has fruiting now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as I bathe regularly, I dont have any issues.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
taggage
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I got some free Ponderosa logs in various sizes; they good for anything in the mushroom department?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always wanted to start a mushroom farm in my garage.  They're like eggs to me - I could eat them every day.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got some free Ponderosa logs in various sizes; they good for anything in the mushroom department?
View Quote

not many choice edibles grow on pine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably a dozen little babies on this guy. Inoculating 2k blue oyster plugs on saturday.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought and planted some Morel spawn this fall and did up a small area in the edge of the woods. Maybe 20 sq ft.

I have thought about growing mushrooms. I have 20 acres of hardwoods.
What put me off was all info I looked at said use Oak for logs. I don't have any Oak available. Lots Hickory and Sugar Maple tho.

Does OP grow for his own use or sale?

I'd grow for small amount of personal use but would primarily grow for sale. So any wisdom on growing for sale would be of interest.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought and planted some Morel spawn this fall and did up a small area in the edge of the woods. Maybe 20 sq ft.

What put me off was all info I looked at said use Oak for logs. I don't have any Oak available. Lots Hickory and Sugar Maple tho.

I'd grow for small amount of personal use but would primarily grow for sale. So any wisdom on growing for sale would be of interest.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Plenty of wood species will work fine. Here's an example of wood for Shitake.

If I buy plugs I get them from here

Grows on: Hardwood logs outdoors: oak, pecan, walnut, alder, sweet gum, maple, ironwood, hophorn beam, cherry, sycamore, tulip poplar, eucalyptus, chestnut, ash, birch, bitternut, willow.

Avoid for shiitake: conifers, fruit trees, elm, hackberry, sassafras, soft maples (red and striped), dogwood, black locust, beech, hickory

I grow for myself and if/when I have extra we share/barter with friends.

So any wisdom on growing for sale would be of interest.

Go to your local farmers market and see what's available and how much it sales for. If it were me I'd offer to grow for someone whos currently selling and let them deal with the retail.

I have the space and the trees to put in a real farm here but I'm not interested in an active mushroom farm where you are having to force fruiting etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Saturday the 16ths inoculation day was canceled, I had 2000 plugs get contaminated. I ordered 1k wide range shitake and 1k brown oysters to be rush delivered before saturday. I'll try and get some pics of the inoculation.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have successfully propagated big blondes from spore slurry and strategic sites, but even so the quantity and reliability just isn't there.  Maybe you will fair better.  Consider chanterelles too, I've had better luck with them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Saturday the 16ths inoculation day was canceled, I had 2000 plugs get contaminated. I ordered 1k wide range shitake and 1k brown oysters to be rush delivered before saturday. I'll try and get some pics of the inoculation.
View Quote

Where did you get them?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where did you get them?
View Quote

Mushroom mountain.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Most of the great ones grow on deciduous woods, but this of course isn't sufficient in and of itself for determining toxicity and species identification, liability exclaimer etc.

I can only think of one speculative possibility for your pine option off the top of my head: a variant of chicken of the forest. (Not maitake/hen of the woods).
There are variants growing on hardwoods and soft woods, but some people do react to the ones grown from conifers.
Laetiporus conifericola

We grow shiitake and pohu oysters here, and forage for numerous others. Hoping to scale up the endeavor this year and add lion's mane to the mix, and some reishi.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, to me this is a new thing.  I have no experience.  It seems fairly easy and something that I can control, unlike foraging for some and never knowing what I will get.
Do you guys have deer damage?

I have woods behind me and access to logs and shade.

I will read up on this....
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK, to me this is a new thing.  I have no experience.  It seems fairly easy and something that I can control, unlike foraging for some and never knowing what I will get.

View Quote

I have heards of deer go through my property. They never touch a thing as far as mushrooms go. Everything else is fair game!

With mushrooms, you have a day of two of hard work - cutting the logs, inoculating, etc - after that it’s just harvesting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Two guys, 2k plugs and ~4 hours nets us 20 logs of shitake and 20 logs of brown oyster. Pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Deer leave ours alone, but occassionally you'll get little black slugs putting holes through. There's definitely a harvest window before they get bugged out. Squirrels are known to stash mushrooms in trees but I've never seen one loot the innoculated logs before.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Here’s a shot of the logs full of plugs and a shot of the total haul for the day. I’ll split these with my buddy who helped. Another 10 Shitakes and 10 brown oysters for the garden. I still have a hundred or so plugs of each left over too.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Those are massive. Do you use a crane to lift them for forced innoculation?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here’s a shot of the logs full of plugs and a shot of the total haul for the day. I’ll split these with my buddy who helped. Another 10 Shitakes and 10 brown oysters for the garden. I still have a hundred or so plugs of each left over too.

https://i.imgur.com/hcwnNw9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/36lxU0w.jpg
View Quote

One thing I noted, and will make it a habit from here on out - with new logs, prior to inoculation I power wash the logs off. It seems to cut down on some of the polypore mushroom infestation further down the line.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Those are massive. Do you use a crane to lift them for forced innoculation?
View Quote

2.3-3' sections somewhere between 3-5" in diameter? not massive at all.

I dont force fruit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Ahh my bad eyes then. I thought I was seeing 10"+ diameters.
We had a hell of a dry spell last summer and found that dunking logs in the brook over night made a difference.
Granted, my brother and I are noobies at this. Just about to enter our third year of the mycology experiments.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have heards of deer go through my property. They never touch a thing as far as mushrooms go. Everything else is fair game!

With mushrooms, you have a day of two of hard work - cutting the logs, inoculating, etc - after that it’s just harvesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waiting is hard work...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#29]
What about sycamore?  Good for anything?  I'll have to start stealing the neighbors' trees if this also won't work, lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you seal the ends of the logs with wax also?
I tried this a few years ago with some fresh cut red oak, and got zero germination from the plugs.  
I live in a "holler" with lots of ferns, moss etc, so they should have done well. I was wondering if I ruined it by leaving the log ends exposed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I do not seal the ends of my shitake logs and they do fine. I've read not to use fresh cut logs... they need to "age" 7 weeks because there is some natural anti-fungal in the green logs that needs to age out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do not seal the ends of my shitake logs and they do fine. I've read not to use fresh cut logs... they need to "age" 7 weeks because there is some natural anti-fungal in the green logs that needs to age out.
View Quote

and my dude says you need to get them before that because you start to run the risk of wild inoculation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Also a nice little flush today.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I tried this a few years ago with some fresh cut red oak, and got zero germination from the plugs.  
I live in a "holler" with lots of ferns, moss etc, so they should have done well. I was wondering if I ruined it by leaving the log ends exposed.
View Quote

I always seal mine up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Also a nice little flush today.

https://i.imgur.com/4ctyC6e.jpg
View Quote

Very nice! It was 30 degrees here today. I don’t think I’ll see any shiitakes for a few more weeks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I always seal mine up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always seal mine up.

same.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What about sycamore?  Good for anything?  I'll have to start stealing the neighbors' trees if this also won't work, lol.
View Quote

The chart at this link is pretty good guidance:

https://www.fieldforest.net/category/growing-outdoors#logs
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't really cultivate intensively, but I encourage some wine caps that started showing up under and around my deck after a load of mulch a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boo.  Well, I guess I just need to steal some limbs from a neighbor's oak...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top