Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2018 6:01:44 PM EDT
Just curious mostly.  I think if I were to go it would be to western Wyoming.

Linky here for those who know not what I type of...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuk no, to cold there!  Now if everybody would start driving 74 Cadillac's and kick global warming into high gear, maybe.

In the past I actually considered moving to the Snake River valley in Idaho, Pocatello area.  They have a bit of a warmer microclimate thanks to being surrounded by mountains, and air sinking/warming coming down from them.  Even still, it's just too cold.  I have visited though, and it does seem quite amenable to "our" way of life.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I could see retiring there maybe someday but it is cold as hell the days are short and there's that little volcano that makes me think long-term planning is out.
I remember back in the 80s everyone was moving to Colorado for that purpose and I don't think that worked out so well.
Why can't we all just move to Texas and secede....
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool!  Yes, I think if I were to do anything it would be a summer home there.  Already have a place in South Mississippi, so just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Neat theory.

James Wesley Rawles is involved and he's a bit nutty. I think he means well and isn't a bad guy but is a bit out there.....and his fiction works are terrible.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool!  Yes, I think if I were to do anything it would be a summer home there.  Already have a place in South Mississippi, so just thinking out loud.
View Quote
Now that, I would consider.  I'm currently buying a beach house in Fernandina Beach, FL.  A perfect companion to that would be a mountain home.  Put down some roots there and see how times change.  At 44 years old, I hope I have a few years left.  And at the current rate of change, might need a patriot enclave sooner than I think.  Unfortunately I think the Californians are moving into Montana and Idaho faster than patriots are.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Been digesting this topic for some time now.  Basically my conclusion is the Redoubt checks all the boxes, whereas a place like Texas checks 90% of the boxes, and is warm

People keep saying "Texas will turn blue," which is probably true given enough time, but that isn't the same thing as Florida turning blue for instance.  There is strength through numbers, and even as a minority, Texan conservatives would be a bulwark against California-style garbage legislation.  At the very least, the rate of decay would be slow enough to move to the Redoubt if things got really cattywompous.

I'd argue that Texas is actually a different country within the US.  Separate electrical grid, oil production, ports, international borders, refineries, state-pride, Lone Star star history, etc.  Living rurally or having a cabin three hours outside a major city in a state like Texas seems good enough...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes. Strongly considering it,

I am still in school for my "second career," but when I am done, a move is on the agenda. I've visited, and I like the conservative values that most folks seem to have.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OMG really?

OK, let's set some shit straight.

1. This is not any new idea. As Soloman wrote a couple thousand years ago, "there is nothing new under the sun."

This concept was first seen in "OUT OF THE ASHES", a crappy survival fiction story that was big in the 1980's and 1990's. Typical male fantasy survivalist BS- old guy kills every bad person, never gets a scratch, gets with dozens of young hotties that fawn over him constantly. Keep this in mind that THIS STORY is where this idea came from...

So in the crappy book, Ben Raines (the old guy that kills everyone with a snap of the finger that all the young hotties want), who later becomes GENERAL Ben Raines, advises all the post nuclear war survivors that are just "milling around, waiting for someone to tell them what to do" to forage (steal) everything that isn't nailed down and head to...... WAIT FOR IT..... wait for it.... Yep you guessed it-

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

The "Tri States", which becomes GENERAL Ben Raines little quasi kingdom where he is idolized by all men and boys and worshipped by all the chicks. Invariably, his freedom loving enclave gets in a major battle with the evil now put back together US gubmint and 28 or 29'ish shitty paperbacks later, Ben Raines is 1,027 years old, has cleared America and Europe of evil types and "creepies" 2 or 3X over.

There was a very loose, very haphazard never really took off in more than spirit/idea survivalist network that the real author of the book (William Johnstone IIRC) tried to get going. You would see listings in the old American Survival Guide (not to be confused with the new yuppie we aren't really made for survivalist's magazine) where people would try to network and you would see mentions of the "Tri State Philosophy."  The author seemed to enjoy people fawning over him, and it ran from there.
View Quote
I remember that series and read many of the books.  That's not the motivation though.  Just the potential political safety is intriguing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
They need to invade Oregon so they aren't land-locked.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OMG really?

OK, let's set some shit straight.

1. This is not any new idea. As Soloman wrote a couple thousand years ago, "there is nothing new under the sun."

This concept was first seen in "OUT OF THE ASHES", a crappy survival fiction story that was big in the 1980's and 1990's. Typical male fantasy survivalist BS- old guy kills every bad person, never gets a scratch, gets with dozens of young hotties that fawn over him constantly. Keep this in mind that THIS STORY is where this idea came from...

So in the crappy book, Ben Raines (the old guy that kills everyone with a snap of the finger that all the young hotties want), who later becomes GENERAL Ben Raines, advises all the post nuclear war survivors that are just "milling around, waiting for someone to tell them what to do" to forage (steal) everything that isn't nailed down and head to...... WAIT FOR IT..... wait for it.... Yep you guessed it-

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

The "Tri States", which becomes GENERAL Ben Raines little quasi kingdom where he is idolized by all men and boys and worshipped by all the chicks. Invariably, his freedom loving enclave gets in a major battle with the evil now put back together US gubmint and 28 or 29'ish shitty paperbacks later, Ben Raines is 1,027 years old, has cleared America and Europe of evil types and "creepies" 2 or 3X over.

There was a very loose, very haphazard never really took off in more than spirit/idea survivalist network that the real author of the book (William Johnstone IIRC) tried to get going. You would see listings in the old American Survival Guide (not to be confused with the new yuppie we aren't really made for survivalist's magazine) where people would try to network and you would see mentions of the "Tri State Philosophy."  The author seemed to enjoy people fawning over him, and it ran from there.
View Quote
No argument about the philosophy or where it came from, but I'm not sure how many of the folks considering a move see it as the embodiment of the Tri States Project, the American Redoubt, or even the various white supremacist crapshows that seems to have tainted the image of the area. Those things certainly have not figured into my desire to move there.

For me, it's a combination of low population density, northern climate, interesting topography, and a majority socially/politically conservative population.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Continuing on the "Ben Raines, contact us!" Theme-

So yeah, this is where that idea was originally seen in the 1980's and early 90's survivalist movement.

Now truth be told, in some 1950's maybe 60's era survivalist literature ("Get thee into the high mountain" book), you can see tinges of this same idea as well.

The "Tri States" concept was Recycled not that long ago and renamed. But like I said, "there is nothing new under the sun."

So yeah, to newer "preppers" that weren't around 20-30 years ago, this idea is largely credited to Rawles now, but he wasn't the first.

I knew and interacted with more than a few people back in the day that were a part of for a time "Tri States" groups. Most were total and utter BS.

Met Johnstone one time at an expo we were exhibiting at back in the 90's. I want to say it was SOF Convention mid 90's. He was the typification of his character- late 50's or early 60's, smoking (all male fantasy bad ass characters from the 80's smoked LOL), glasses. But what was interesting was he had this mid 20's absolute hottie there with him, she was dressed in BDU pants and a tight top. If you know Vegas you know this isn't uncommon- just like at SHOT Show when you see crazy hot chicks at companies booths- it brings the customers over to their booths.

Talking with him a bit, he seemed to really BELIEVE his books. Some years later I was training with an old friend that I used to train with in the mid 80's in Florida. We were BS'ing about bad survival fiction and he mentioned having spent some time with Johnstone and his opinion of him believing his own books matched with mine.

Sometimes people believe their own fiction stories....
View Quote
I don't know ... the future is the future.

I still sorta like the idea that's behind Door #2 ... Just run everybody the fuck over in a supercharged V8:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MNTNsr4eurQ
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Neat theory.

James Wesley Rawles is involved and he's a bit nutty. I think he means well and isn't a bad guy but is a bit out there.....and his fiction works are terrible.
View Quote
We've investigated the option.  There are several issues with the area:

1) Lack of rain fall / water.

2) Volcano.

3) Taxes (in Idaho).

4) Short growing season.

5) Proximity to Reservations (nothing against Indians ... its a crime issue.  Google crime rates in the areas surrounding reservations. )

JWR's writing is crap.  Neat topics that are extremely poorly developed / written.  Amateur.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't know ... the future is the future.

I still sorta like the idea that's behind Door #2 ... Just run everybody the fuck over in a supercharged V8:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MNTNsr4eurQ
View Quote
I prefer a jet engine dune buggy...

Attachment Attached File

I would love to consider moving to those areas but it really is a cold area vs many other places.  Better have some serious fuel storage or a warehouse full of firewood.  I plan to base where I retire 50% on the climate I want to live in.  I think TN area is a nice compromise.  They have stupid low taxes compared to the hole of a state I live in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I have suggested that we move to Boise but the wife didn't like that idea.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
It's good ground, maybe the best that is west of the Mississippi. You have your back to the Rocky Mountains. The main West Coast population centers are corralled by the Cascades and Sierra Nevada Mountains. Beyond that  there's the Great Basin Desert covering Nevada and parts of Utah. Further south are the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts. To the east you have 2k miles of flyover country acting as a buffer against the people on the East Coast. That is a lot of hard terrain to cover if fuel is in short supply.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn't Johnstone's son try to extend those books even further?  Had to be a few dozen of them at some point.  I guess if you want to move there today you have to add a bunch of comma's to your name first....
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a lifelong resident of the "Appalachian Redoubt," corner of NC, TN & GA.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Hoping to be in Northern Idaho in 2 years or so myself.

Have been wanting to get out of Ohio for a while for a number of reasons, including the perpetually purple state of politics and the crappy climate. Did a lot of research to find a more Conservative place than Ohio with a climate better suited to me - mild and dry in the Summer, real snowy in the Winter (I like snow ).

Found that Northern Idaho checked all my boxes.

Took a trip out there about 2 years ago and, on first impressions, found it to be right up my alley. Absolutely hated coming back. Would have stayed out there right then and there if I could have.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

James Wesley Rawles is involved and he's a bit nutty.
View Quote
That is an understatement.

He doesn't like Nevada anymore?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hoping to be in Northern Idaho in 2 years or so myself.

Have been wanting to get out of Ohio for a while for a number of reasons, including the perpetually purple state of politics and the crappy climate. Did a lot of research to find a more Conservative place than Ohio with a climate better suited to me - mild and dry in the Summer, real snowy in the Winter (I like snow ).

Found that Northern Idaho checked all my boxes.

Took a trip out there about 2 years ago and, on first impressions, found it to be right up my alley. Absolutely hated coming back. Would have stayed out there right then and there if I could have.
View Quote
Don't forget the hot (90-100 deg.)/dry summers from mid-June through August into Sept sometimes.  Winters can be wet and overcast with valley inversions.

And there's fire season with at least decent fire smoke during the same period as above, and you might be at risk to evacuate if a BIG one is nearby.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't forget the hot (90-100 deg.)/dry summers from mid-June through August into Sept sometimes.  Winters can be wet and overcast with valley inversions.

And there's fire season with at least decent fire smoke during the same period as above, and you might be at risk to evacuate if a BIG one is nearby.
View Quote
I've kept a close eye on the weather in Northern Idaho for probably the last 6 years or so and found it pretty ideal. It's a huge reason I want to move there besides the politics. The summers there are far dryer and cooler than SW Ohio and yes, I've seen those heat waves. What I've noticed is they typically only last about a week and the humidity is in the 20% range or lower.

Where I'm at summer is typically upper 80s to upper 90s for the same time period you mention (typically through most of September though) but is drenched in humidity. We consider 40% humidity low. Typical humidity is 60-70%, often higher, with dew points in the 60 and sometimes 70 degree range.

Northern Idaho actually has 4 seasons of weather too. This past year we went from upper 80s to mid 50s in the span of ~4 days. I got two days to open up my house before it got too cool. Most years we get, probably, 2-3 weeks of somewhat mild weather between Winter and Summer, usually closer to 2.

I've researched the fire threat and plan to ensure good fire breaks around everything. On top of that I already own a high pressure fire pump, a couple hundred feet of hose, and an Akron Marauder nozzle so I'm set in that regard.

All of that beats the constant severe weather and tornado threat we have from March up until November. In fact there was recently a record breaking tornado outbreak on the 1st in Illinois, not that far away. I've had 4 twister near misses at my house with the biggest being an EF3, a twister that destroyed my brother's in laws' house. You've never lived until you've had a Particularly Dangerous Situation tornado watch for your area, especially at night! Derechos are fun too...

This was my closest encounter in 2015 and about as close as I'd prefer to keep it.

Tornado Warning - New Richmond, OH - 7/19/2015

I'll take my chances with fire. It can be mitigated with good planning and preparation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#29]
If i move anywhere,, it to WV.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do yall survive
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#31]
There wouldn't be much surviving in hot and humid places like FL if it wasn't for air conditioning. Yes FL is a destination for retirees but if air conditioning didn't exist, I doubt FL would have anything close to the population it does now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I find it disturbing that the "Redoubt" is land-locked.  IMHO, a fatal flaw.
View Quote
Technically, it's not!

Port Of Lewiston, Idaho

Incidentally, also the home to CCI and Speer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I find it disturbing that the "Redoubt" is land-locked.  IMHO, a fatal flaw.
View Quote
I don't agree but you've piqued my curiosity.  Why?  What's your reasoning?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't move to N. Idaho.  Every single person moving there is going for the "small town feel" but won't admit they are the ones overpopulating it and making it more like the place they came from.  Everyone thinks they are the exception to the rule, and the door should be closed behind them.  
Just give it time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't move to N. Idaho.  Every single person moving there is going for the "small town feel" but won't admit they are the ones overpopulating it and making it more like the place they came from.  Everyone thinks they are the exception to the rule, and the door should be closed behind them.  
Just give it time.
View Quote
The place I come from sucks and I want nothing to do with it and, I volunteer to go around kicking Californian transplants in the balls if I can get a stack of get out of jail free cards.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've kept a close eye on the weather in Northern Idaho for probably the last 6 years or so and found it pretty ideal. It's a huge reason I want to move there besides the politics. The summers there are far dryer and cooler than SW Ohio and yes, I've seen those heat waves. What I've noticed is they typically only last about a week and the humidity is in the 20% range or lower.

Where I'm at summer is typically upper 80s to upper 90s for the same time period you mention (typically through most of September though) but is drenched in humidity. We consider 40% humidity low. Typical humidity is 60-70%, often higher, with dew points in the 60 and sometimes 70 degree range.

Northern Idaho actually has 4 seasons of weather too. This past year we went from upper 80s to mid 50s in the span of ~4 days. I got two days to open up my house before it got too cool. Most years we get, probably, 2-3 weeks of somewhat mild weather between Winter and Summer, usually closer to 2.

I've researched the fire threat and plan to ensure good fire breaks around everything. On top of that I already own a high pressure fire pump, a couple hundred feet of hose, and an Akron Marauder nozzle so I'm set in that regard.

All of that beats the constant severe weather and tornado threat we have from March up until November. In fact there was recently a record breaking tornado outbreak on the 1st in Illinois, not that far away. I've had 4 twister near misses at my house with the biggest being an EF3, a twister that destroyed my brother's in laws' house. You've never lived until you've had a Particularly Dangerous Situation tornado watch for your area, especially at night! Derechos are fun too...

This was my closest encounter in 2015 and about as close as I'd prefer to keep it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWCUrUaUmU

I'll take my chances with fire. It can be mitigated with good planning and preparation.
View Quote
I've lived in N .Idaho and W. MT for most of the last 29 years and the hot/dry weather lasts longer than a week. With about 23 years of that directly & indirectly involved in fire suppression the BIG fires can't be mitigated.  While "defensible-space is wise, a lot of what happens is related to things out of human-control although the majority of wildfires can be human-caused depending on the area and fuels/weather conditions.

Good luck on your plans.

BTW, I grew up in w. PA and I know how the weather is back there, one reason I'm out here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How do yall survive
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do yall survive
You deal with the weather and fire situation as it comes each year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Every area has it's specific weather related issues.

Even 100+ miles from the coast down here, we have received some effects from the last few hurricanes to come through our area.

The dryness with the short growing season in the "Tri States" region would be a big detriment long term.

If people aren't growing 90% of their own food now, they will have no idea how important these two factors are. Growing enough to truly make it on your own is much different than having two 4x4 raised beds in your backyard.

No matter the situation, long term famine type conditions are a potential effect. We have to have adequate food storage in place and be growing/raising as much of our own as possible. Being in a climate that facilitates that a little better than a dry, short growing season will be more helpful long term.
View Quote
The "short" growing season is made up for much longer days the further north you go.  I experienced it in Vermont this past year.  I had to time it right and plant much later however I still had ripe tomatoes on the vine come October....

Also climate does somewhat dictate what you grow as well.  The further north you go the more root crops you see planted in local gardens as well as colder weather crops like broccoli and cabbage.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If i move anywhere,, it to WV.
View Quote
It is nice here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There wouldn't be much surviving in hot and humid places like FL if it wasn't for air conditioning. Yes FL is a destination for retirees but if air conditioning didn't exist, I doubt FL would have anything close to the population it does now.
View Quote
It can be done, but you have to have the right home design for it and lots of air movement.  When I was young we did not have AC in Louisiana.  it would take time to reacclimatize but it could be done.  Folks from way up north, yes they would suffer immensely without AC.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OK, but talk about the classic choke-point....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, it's not!

Port Of Lewiston, Idaho

Incidentally, also the home to CCI and Speer.
OK, but talk about the classic choke-point....
Eastern Washington, ID and Montana all have Ports of Entry on the northern border.  But I think the intention is a beefed up conservative area more than a "new country".   At least that's my take on it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Hell I've been thinking about it for 30 years.   But most of my interest is in Wyoming to be honest.  There is still plenty of room there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It can be done, but you have to have the right home design for it and lots of air movement.  When I was young we did not have AC in Louisiana.  it would take time to reacclimatize but it could be done.  Folks from way up north, yes they would suffer immensely without AC.
View Quote
Virtually no houses are built for no AC any longer. Yes it can be done but younger people with health issues and many older people wouldn't survive without AC.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I already live there. It's nice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm with RAF and Lowdown.  Idaho really sucks.  There is no water anywhere.  You can't grow anything at any time of the year.  Taxes are too high and there are too many firearm laws.  Real estate prices are incredibly high and there is no property left with a tree standing.

Maybe try Texas.  I hear it is nice this time of year.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm with RAF and Lowdown.  Idaho really sucks.  There is no water anywhere.  You can't grow anything at any time of the year.  Taxes are too high and there are too many firearm laws.  Real estate prices are incredibly high and there is no property left with a tree standing.

Maybe try Texas.  I hear it is nice this time of year.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top