Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2022 11:18:51 PM EDT
Id like to have something to power a few lights around the house, the furnace and possibly the fridge if we lost power.

I've seen guys on YouTube build the equivalent of a power wall out of 18650 batteries from old modems.  It doesn't look hard.  Has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You're going to need a lot of 18650s to power a furnace or fridge for more than 5 minutes.  A power wall has over 7,000 cells.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're going to need a lot of 18650s to power a furnace or fridge for more than 5 minutes.  A power wall has over 7,000 cells.
View Quote

I have been told that the Tesla car batteries are essentially that
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you need an ATF stamp for that bomb?

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Modem batteries - 4 for $2
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you need an ATF stamp for that bomb?

View Quote

How are you helping?
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I am planning to build several small 1kw hr +/- portable power packs using 18650's and I have considered building a 60 or 70kwhr powerwall using retired medical cart battery packs. I am about 50% of the way there with my first two portable packs and will start work on my large pack when I get done.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am planning to build several small 1kw hr +/- portable power packs using 18650's and I have considered building a 60 or 70kwhr powerwall using retired medical cart battery packs. I am about 50% of the way there with my first two portable packs and will start work on my large pack when I get done.
View Quote

Making it portable would be a really good idea.  I could use it down at the lake property too.

Do you have a link for those batteries?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been planning on building something like that, but I want to use the cells out of a Nissan Leaf.  You can buy them used on ebay.  I built a battery pack for my golf cart out of some, and it works great.  No reason in the world I couldn't build something to run the fridge for a few days out of them.  

18650s might be a good option, but I hate soldering, and that would be a hell of a lot of soldering.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Skip the 18650’s. Look at Lifepo4 batteries from places like battery hookup.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Battery Hookup is a great source for batteries. I don't have a link for the batteries I use because I can get them from work. I personally wouldn't use 18650's or any Lithium Ion chemistry for powerpacks except I can get them for pennies by the pound.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lifepo4 offers the highest density, # charge/discharge cycles, lower discharge ability and is also lighter, then Lithium and then deep cycle lead.  Lifepo4 holds the charge the longest as well but it’s pricy.  

Do yourself a favor and forget the 18650’s - yes Teslas use them but it’s machine packaged.  If if was starting over, I would start small and expand using Lifepo4’s.  I need to replace my deep cycle batteries without ever using them.

Edit - I used wheeled husky toolbox base and build multiple of them to be able to use independently at different locations and jumper together for heavy drainage should there be a need.  I installed an inverter on top of one to have direct access to AC power.  Unfortunately I used deep cycle batters and they have degraded over the years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lifepo4 offers the highest density, # charge/discharge cycles, lower discharge ability and is also lighter, then Lithium and then deep cycle lead.  Lifepo4 holds the charge the longest as well but it's pricy.  

Do yourself a favor and forget the 18650's - yes Teslas use them but it's machine packaged.  If if was starting over, I would start small and expand using Lifepo4's.  I need to replace my deep cycle batteries without ever using them.

Edit - I used wheeled husky toolbox base and build multiple of them to be able to use independently at different locations and jumper together for heavy drainage should there be a need.  I installed an inverter on top of one to have direct access to AC power.  Unfortunately I used deep cycle batters and they have degraded over the years.
View Quote
Can you expand on the portable units you built?

I should be getting some batteries soon and was thinking about building a unit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at server rack batteries. They don't take up much room when installed in a rack and the system is expandable
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
So I came into some Volkswagen e golf batteries.

There are 16 volt batteries.    Guess I'm off to find some information on using these.

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I came into some Volkswagen e golf batteries.

There are 16 volt batteries.    Guess I'm off to find some information on using these.

View Quote

Three in series is 48V, now you just need a 48vdc to 120vac inverter.  Five arrays of three batteries in series and then parallel those five arrays into a 48vdc to 120vac inverter.

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Look at server rack batteries. They don't take up much room when installed in a rack and the system is expandable
View Quote
This.

I have a Bluetti 2kwh battery pack and solar for my fridge and camper.

The LiFePO4 server rack batteries are 5kwh per unit and you can stack six in a rack. Ive considered using one for a permanent refrigerator power system. Combine it with three 450w panels and it should stay on for years with no need for a traditional generator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top