Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2019 5:04:19 AM EDT
Anyone bag a deer with the 350 Legend yet ? I know a lot of people were waiting to get some real world feedback on this new cartridge. I know of one guy who shot a Texan whitetail at 150 yds. and said it dropped in it's tracks. Wonder how it preforms on our big Midwestern deer ?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I am also curious about it as a hunting round. Seems like the ar15 doesn't have great hunting calibers. I'm no expert, this is just from reading online articles. Currently I'm using a 12 Gage with sabots.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am also curious about it as a hunting round. Seems like the ar15 doesn't have great hunting calibers. I'm no expert, this is just from reading online articles. Currently I'm using a 12 Gage with sabots.
View Quote
300BLK, 6.8, 6.5, and even .223/5.56 beg to differ....
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are 5.56 and 300blk enough to ethically hunt whitetail? I guess I'm kinda in the overkill camp when it comes to caliber selection. Lol maybe I should have specified deer hunting :) I think 6.8 and 450 bush have potential, but I am very interested in main stream caliber.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My state is divided by a "shotgun" line. I live right along the line so use a .308 above and 450BM below (straightwalled allowed). I ran across a guy who was using 350 legend for the sole purpose his sons could use it too. The were fairly ypu and probably wouldn't do well with a 12 gauge or 450BM.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are 5.56 and 300blk enough to ethically hunt whitetail? I guess I'm kinda in the overkill camp when it comes to caliber selection. Lol maybe I should have specified deer hunting :) I think 6.8 and 450 bush have potential, but I am very interested in main stream caliber.
View Quote
I have killed 5 deer in the last 5 years that are all still dead and would all agree that 300BLK is enough to ethically kill them.   All have run less than 25 yards and been dead in well under 30 seconds of being shot in the boiler room.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have killed 5 deer in the last 5 years that are all still dead and would all agree that 300BLK is enough to ethically kill them.   All have run less than 25 yards and been dead in well under 30 seconds of being shot in the boiler room.
View Quote
That sounds like a pretty good round! I have no experience with it. Is it a sub 100m round?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a good friend that killed a doe with his 350 legend pistol.The story I heard is the deer ran off after the shot, and no blood was found.My friend went home, and  got the ranger to  make one more thorough  check, and found the deer lying in tall grass.The deer was very alive  but was just sitting there watching him
One more shot with the 350, and the dead was done.The autopsy  revealed the first shot hit  the deer right between the heart and lungs, and didn't damage either  very much.
I am certain this scenario  could have happened with any  weapon,  but the 350 got shelved  for the year, replaced by a 450 bushmaster pistol.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I've killed 3 with 300BLK in the last 2 years. Barnes 110gr VOR-TX ammo. All boiler room shots.
1 was at 150 yards, stumbled 15' then dead.
1 was at 110 yards. Hit the ground on impact, got up, took one leap and crashed 20' away. Dead.
1 was at 75 yards.  "Ran" (plowed is more accurate) about 45' then passed out and died.

I'd say it's effective.  I have not tried subs yet for hunting, though, and probably never will.

I've taken 2 with .223 in the last year.  One was a base of neck shot. (Just about anything from an AR platform other than 22lr would work for this) DRT, 175 yards. 64gr Gold Dot.
The other was a boiler room shot at 120, 55gr Hornady pointed soft point. Deer flinched when hit, stood for a second, then kinda shrugged, sneezed a cloud of blood, walked about 3 steps, wobbled, fell over and died. Heart and lungs were shredded.

One of my hunting buds has been using a .223 for years, hasn't had to track any more than 75 yards, most died within 20.

Whitetail are not hard to kill. Shot placement trumps caliber.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Well this thread is about the 350 Legend, and not what your using in difference to the 350.

I took a 9pt at 90 yards with a 350 Legend AR yesterday, our opening day. 1st shot dropped him, but he kept trying to crawl. So I shot him again in the neck.
The first shot was high and broke his back. Then neck shot cut his wind pipe from the sounds he was making when I walk up to him
Dressed out at 150lbs.

All LaRue Tactical except for the 18" SS, 5R rifling MOS-TEK barrel.

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:54:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, approx. 80 yds with a 12.5 barrel. 180grn deer season. Jumped forward and fell about 15ft away. double lung, complete passthru
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine was asking me whether or not I was going to get a gun setup for 350 legend.  I said probably not.  I have an AR set up for 450 Bushmaster which I can use anywhere in the State and completely folds every damn deer I've shot with it.  I think that number is up to 20 now.  I also wonder if the Legend will stick around very long as i'm not a re-loader.  I doubt the 450 support is going anywhere being developed and supported by Hornady.

ETA:
I will probably buy a 350 Legend bolt action gun for when younger hunters want to give deer hunting a try.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought 350 legend was developed because some specific states only allowed straight walled rifle cartridges for deer and Winchester made a specialty round that would fit that legal requirement and chamber in an AR. I guess the guy who took one in Texas just likes building new guns.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is. I took 3 Deer this year with a .223/556. All shots were from 60 to 80 meters.
Furthest track was about 30m. The other 2 made it no more than 20ft. I used to be in the 30-06 camp for
White tail but I’ll stick to .223/556 for the forceable future. Like others have said Deer aren’t hard to kill
Just have to put the bullet where it needs to go.

I used 62gr Fusion .223 out of a 16” barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top