Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2021 1:35:37 PM EDT

Looking into raising Quail as it seems to have some perks compared to chickens; smaller footprint, not as noisy, grow fast, and most important they taste pretty darn good.

From what I gather, theoretically I can raise a quail faster than carrot (60 days)

In my AO, no more than 50, otherwise I will have to get Wildlife Commission involved.  Not a bid deal, but rather not.

Am I crazy?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Rabbits, chickens, quail and a big garden are a large part of my retirement plans. My interest is primarily meat. Tick control may be Guinea hens. Lots of predator control is cooked into the mix.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I found a few on my property.  Had no idea they were here.

Like to get a lot of them for hunting, but dont know anything about it.

Are they self sufficient?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done a bit of reading, but have not got into it yet.
For meat, there is a specialized breed of Japanese Cotournix developed by Texas A&M to gain weight quickly and reach higher weight.

I want to have a quail run about the garden I want to build, to eat bugs about the perimeter.

I'd also like to establish some coveys on our ranch- but I understand that fireants are murder on them, plus the pigs
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Never had a positive experience raising them and I’ve tried numerous times. Cannibalism is a real problem even with feeding appropriate game bird feed. They like to peck the heads and eyes of their cage mates. I raise rabbits and chickens and I don’t think you could pay me to try quail again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I raised the Texas A&M ones. I liked them a lot. Great bird
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a friend that does it with the jumbo japanese quail.   All in small cages.  3 or 4 females, and one male per cage.   Rig artifical lights, and they will lay year round.  

His process is basically hatch 50, eat most of the males at age 8 weeks or so.   Around 8 weeks, the males are sexually mature and start creating problems.  

Then, at around 12 weeks, save the big/healthy females for breeders, and eat the rest.   All the birds are basically at full adult size by week 12.  So, after 12 weeks or so, if they are not laying eggs/breeding, you are throwing away feed.  

Meanwhile, he is getting 5+ eggs a week per female.   So, tons and tons of eggs.  

He has one incubator, and hatches a bunch in March from eggs he buys.   Then, in Summer, he does two or three more batches of his own eggs.  So, by October/Nov, he has a whole bunch of birds for the freezer.   Then, he shuts down, and starts again the next year.  

Says its not cheaper than store bought chicken, but they are tasty little birds, and he knows their history/food sources.  His main problem, getting rid of all the eggs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Guy I work with just started about 8 months ago.  He's been raising ducks and chickens for quite a while.  He hasn't been having great luck with the quail.  The eggs are tasty and are more nutrient dense than chicken eggs, but they are much tougher to crack open and much smaller, so it takes a good bit of effort to make a meal of them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
You use a little nipper/scissor thing.   They have thick shells.   But, you can just cut the top off of them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I raise Coturnix quail. There are some fantastic channels on YouTube to follow if you want to do this. I've had up to 200 at a time. Currently I have about 15 females that are producing for me. They are pretty easy to raise and their eggs are very tasty.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:26:25 AM EDT
[#11]
We have some chickens for eggs, and have talked about raising quail because they are great eating.  Very interested in giving it a shot.  We've heard they can be difficult, not very survivable.  Maybe that's dependent on the breed.

Hadn't thought about the quail eggs.  Interested in that as a by-product of the meat raising.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never had a positive experience raising them and I’ve tried numerous times. Cannibalism is a real problem even with feeding appropriate game bird feed. They like to peck the heads and eyes of their cage mates. I raise rabbits and chickens and I don’t think you could pay me to try quail again.
View Quote

killer quails, who woulda thunk it
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looking into raising Quail as it seems to have some perks compared to chickens; smaller footprint, not as noisy, grow fast, and most important they taste pretty darn good.

From what I gather, theoretically I can raise a quail faster than carrot (60 days)

In my AO, no more than 50, otherwise I will have to get Wildlife Commission involved.  Not a bid deal, but rather not.

Am I crazy?
View Quote

OP what are you trying to do?  Raise them outside or in battery cages?  I raise coturnix quail and currently have a 5 tier battery cage filled with them.  Let me know if there are any specific question you have.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Raise coturnix,  Tennessee reds, Bobwhite,  and had Blue Scale in the past.
Coturnix are the easiest of all breeds.
As stated above, butcher males at 8 weeks and keep 1 to 5 ratio for breeding.
I try to allow .75 sq feet per bird and feed the highest protein you can get.
27-28% nonmedicated (turkey feed) and as for any extra eggs not being hatched or sold, hard boil and blend into feed shells included.
Ups protein and calcium plus I feel really cuts down on cannibalism.
They do make special pliers for removing the shells that speed up the process of peeling.

Now I don't want to get started about partridge and cannibalism,  that's a whole different story
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OP what are you trying to do?  Raise them outside or in battery cages?  I raise coturnix quail and currently have a 5 tier battery cage filled with them.  Let me know if there are any specific question you have.
View Quote

Cage...
someone posted about having them for the neighboring woods for tic control,....didn't think they would stick around like a chicken.  This is all new to me.  My neighbors chickens make it through his fence, the woods and to on to my place.  Then go home.  Well, until they tore up flower beds, no more tresspassin.

Lots of good info.  If you don't mind, post photos of you cages.  I have a shop/barn area away from the house that I thought I would put them.  
I would imagine these would attract snakes.  I already have a snake problem lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cage...
someone posted about having them for the neighboring woods for tic control,....didn't think they would stick around like a chicken.  This is all new to me.  My neighbors chickens make it through his fence, the woods and to on to my place.  Then go home.  Well, until they tore up flower beds, no more tresspassin.

Lots of good info.  If you don't mind, post photos of you cages.  I have a shop/barn area away from the house that I thought I would put them.  
I would imagine these would attract snakes.  I already have a snake problem lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cage...

Let me see if I can get some photos.  I have the hatching time cages with feeders, waterers and egg rollout.  They are worth the money but I was lucky and able to get both of mine used for a fraction of the cost new.  I have them in my garage, they were there last winter and were fine.  The garage cat keeps them company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top