Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 7:49:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using rechargeable Olight 123s. This is the first I've heard of Surefire selling rechargeable. I'm going to have to get some now. You can never have too many batteries.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a solar panel that I car recharge anything USB not to mention the ubiquitous nature of 12v power sources or wall to USB adapters.  

I mainly need this for my surefire weapon lights and while my preps has probably many months worth of SHTF cam at light power this seems like a eccentric addition other than most of my guns are 9v so I need three charged batteries not two.  

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1023034285?pid=131600

The price seems cheap which frankly has me hesitant.  What do the rest of you think, plan ahead and this would likely be a moot issue OR another backup option isn’t a bad idea?
View Quote
I ordered one of the Surefire cr123 battery chargers with the batteries, it should be here sometime this week. After I play around with it I'll give some feedback.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a solar panel that I car recharge anything USB not to mention the ubiquitous nature of 12v power sources or wall to USB adapters.  

I mainly need this for my surefire weapon lights and while my preps has probably many months worth of SHTF cam at light power this seems like a eccentric addition other than most of my guns are 9v so I need three charged batteries not two.  

The price seems cheap which frankly has me hesitant.  What do the rest of you think, plan ahead and this would likely be a moot issue OR another backup option isn’t a bad idea?
View Quote

All of the 3.2v LiFePO4 cells pictured are from China, but they should work in series SF lights. How long they last, is a different issue, but since they’re not common, you should probably just go with them and just pick up some extra cells for spares.

Cheaper, if they last a decent amount of time, vs. CR123As.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Switch to a 6V setup, use 16650 rechargeables. Made in Japan, size of 2xCR123's, offer extended runtime over CR123's, although may be a bit dimmer depending on whether the flashlight uses a electronic driver or is 'direct drive' where voltage determines brightness.

I specifically got the TLR9 pistol light because it can use 16650's:

They can use the same chargers as 18650 batteries, which are frankly the best option for handheld and rifle lights.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I HAVE NOT used the Surefire rechargeables.

The Fenix with the built in USB port have what I consider to be a weakness that disqualifies them for “duty” or emergency use.
Traditional lithium batteries will cause the lights to dim when they get weak, giving you a warning.
These fenix batts run and run until they turn themselves off. So you are doing whatever you need light for then suddenly it turns completely off, no warning, just dark.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I HAVE NOT used the Surefire rechargeables.

The Fenix with the built in USB port have what I consider to be a weakness that disqualifies them for “duty” or emergency use.
Traditional lithium batteries will cause the lights to dim when they get weak, giving you a warning.
These fenix batts run and run until they turn themselves off. So you are doing whatever you need light for then suddenly it turns completely off, no warning, just dark.
View Quote

That’s the beauty of rechargeables, you can keep them topped off. Every rechargeable battery I have in use spends more time above 75% than below.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Here’s the problem with RCR123s and 16340s, in general: they have shit for capacity.

Since most of us use them in series…at least for most RCR123 apps, it’s 500-600 mAh only.  We use them in series to compound voltage and to fire up the emitter, but we don’t get to compound capacity.

This might not be an issue for a hack like me, where if I use turbo for no more than 3-4 minutes per day, but if you’re Tier 1, 20 minutes at 500LM, probably won’t cut it.

16650s in that scenario.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Charger has USB power input.  Would be nice to see estimated time to fully charge a pair of batts.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's the problem with RCR123s and 16340s, in general: they have shit for capacity.

Since most of us use them in seriesat least for most RCR123 apps, it's 500-600 mAh only.  We use them in series to compound voltage and to fire up the emitter, but we don't get to compound capacity.

This might not be an issue for a hack like me, where if I use turbo for no more than 3-4 minutes per day, but if you're Tier 1, 20 minutes at 500LM, probably won't cut it.

16650s in that scenario.

Chris
View Quote

What he said.

From https://www.surefire.com/product-education/battery-safety/

"  ONLY USE rechargeable LFP 123A batteries in SureFire LED illumination tools designed to be powered primarily by disposable 123A lithium batteries, and use only those rechargeable batteries sold at surefire.com or from an authorized SureFire dealer, as these rechargeable cells are expressly for use in high-drain devices like SureFire flashlights and WeaponLights.

DO NOT use rechargeable LFP 123A batteries in incandescent illumination tools; the initial elevated voltage after charging may burn out or break an incandescent lamp's filament."

I run a SF LFP123 in my 3V Aviator for the reason stated in that too. I *may* have tried charging the SF LFP123 on the Fenix charger I use for 16340, 16650 and 18650 batteries, and I have had to return that SF light for warranty repair, after burning out the LED.

The SF LFP123 are also a bit narrower than some other 16340 batteries: I can't fit a keeppower 16650 or a pair of EFest 16340 in my old A2 aviator lights.

I do run 16340, 16650 and 18650 batteries in my other surefires, those that are hosting a Malkoff M61 or M91 LEDs.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Charger has USB power input.  Would be nice to see estimated time to fully charge a pair of batts.
View Quote
From https://www.surefire.com/products/parts-accessories/batteries/sflp123-batteries/?sku=SFLFP123-KIT

"Every SFLFP123-KIT includes two Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) 450mAh 3.2V rechargeable cells, a two-bay battery charger, and a MICRO-USB to USB-A cable

Every SFLFP123 battery set includes two Lithium Iron Phosphate rechargeable cells only (charger is not included)

Smart, internal circuitry automatically terminates charge cycle when cells are at full capacity

Safety design features provide protection from overcharge, short-circuit, and reverse polarity

Charge one or two SFLFP123 from 1.5 hours to 3 hours. Charge termination occurs at 3.65V typical"

And that charge time sounds consistent with mine

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#11]
BTW, the SF LFP123 batteries and charger have all been rebranded K2 Energy products:

https://k2battery.com/product/k2c12v4a-k2-lithium-ion-battery-charger/

https://k2battery.com/product/k2-lithium-ion-energy-cells-6/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top