Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2021 9:02:31 PM EDT
I’m looking at Tram stuff, and I know they can be hit or miss. I want something big so I can do simplex from home, I have a small ground plane antenna currently… it can’t seem to do much simplex. Repeaters aren’t an issue.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at Tram stuff, and I know they can be hit or miss. I want something big so I can do simplex from home, I have a small ground plane antenna currently it can't seem to do much simplex. Repeaters aren't an issue.
View Quote

I'm looking for something similar while saving...  Christmas has put a hurt on me...

I'm looking at either the Comet GP9 or the comparable one from Diamond. Not 100% sold on either.

Mine will go on top of a 10' pole on top of
my 25-30' tower next to the house.

Also gotta get a box/enclosure for the base of the tower,
lightning arrestors,
LMR-400
and a bunch grounding goods...
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
X50.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The original Ed Fong Dual Band VHF/UHF 70cm/2m J-Pole PVC Pipe Antenna : Eye-On-Stuff

OP, its what I use.  It rocks.  

Promise to post pics, and I'll send you the twin lead you need to make one.

EDITED to add a better video:

Ed Fong's Dual Band VHF/UHF antenna - PART I

EDIT 2: F it. Build a yagi for 2 meters and 70 cm (Download the cheapyagi.pdf from the link)

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/homebrew-1-2-ghz-10-element-yagi-antenna.35899/
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
As noted, Tram can be hit or miss.  Comet, Diamond or Browning won't steer you wrong.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Tram units, but any Comet will be GTG. Personally I'd stick with the shorter ones,
there's not that much benefit for the hassle of installing the tall higher gain units.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You aren't going to significantly increase across ground the range by getting a better antenna or by putting out more power.

The primary thing that will get you further, assuming that is what you are talking about with simplex, is height above terrain.

If you have tall trees, the cheapest way to do that is with a slimjim antenna, homebrew or bought, and a chord over the top of a tall tree and pull the antenna up as high as you can get it.

A lot will depend on the surrounding terrain at your location. If you want to get on the other side of a hill or ridge, the antenna will have to be higher than the hill or ridge.

Even if the terrain is perfectly flat, you are still limited by the curvature of the earth and the higher you get the longer the signal will reach out. A typical hand held transceiver  (HT ) to another HT is about +- 6 miles range over a flat treeless terrain like a large field of grass or over ocean. ( 6 feet high to 6 feet high over flat terrain ). Realistically in a suburban or forested environment it is half of that to 1/4 of that or less about 3 to 1.5  miles unless you get above the trees and building which block the signal but not as much as dirt.

If you were to get high enough to get the distance you want, and it is a long distance, then power and antenna gain in the horizontal will help. But first you have to get the height to get LOS

VHF / UHF is very much limited by line of sight ( LOS ). You have to get LOS before antenna gain or power will make a any significant difference.

If your antenna is at 20 feet, getting a new antenna isn't going to do much.

If your antenna is at 20 feet high, getting ANY antenna to 70 feet will be much better.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had very good luck with the Diamond X50's.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the tall high gain Comet and Diamond designs. While LOS is the propagation method, multipath is a thing and better RX / TX helps if you are in a location with lots of small mountains / tall buildings that you can bounce around vs being blocked by a mountain range or hollow. I know with the small mountains I am surrounded by my GP9 hears a lot better on simplex than the 1/4w I had at the same height agl.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had a Comet GP-3 on a mast attached to my chimney since 2005. It seems no worse for the wear and performs well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Any thoughts on the Diamond X200 dual band antenna?  About 10' tall or so.

I plan to put it at the gable end of my house over the garage, see pic.  (Ignore the reference to the F22A, it's not dual band).

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I plan to put it at the gable end of my house over the garage, see pic.  (Ignore the reference to the F22A, it's not dual band).

https://i.imgur.com/Kmw75HV.jpg

View Quote
I've been running one of those for almost a year and a half.  I've been pretty happy with it, and would buy again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Kmw75HV.jpg

View Quote

I have one up for ten years.  I wouldn’t go to the larger one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll second the recommendation for the Comet GP-3.  I've had one for 15+ years. It works great and has survived all kinds of weather.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
My comet GP-6 has been a rock star for going on 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll second the recommendation for the Comet GP-3.  I've had one for 15+ years. It works great and has survived all kinds of weather.
View Quote
This. I have the GP-3 on the top of my tower that I run my Yaesu DR-2x repeater on and it really surprises me with the range that I get with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top