Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2019 12:20:38 PM EDT
I'll be moving within a month to a home with no fence in the backyard and a decent amount of small wildlife around. To keep my pheasant dog from chasing a squirrel into the street, I was wondering if anyone had luck with an electric dog fence. Underground or wireless.

Fencing in the yard is not an option at this time, would be roughly 1000 linear feet of fence and not in the budget.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I live on a small homestead out on a mesa in NM, and I rely on one of the PetSafe fence setups. It has a base station that I keep plugged into a socket in the kitchen, and a second collar you put on the dog when you need containment. It gives her about a 100' radius, which isn't a ton, but it keeps her within line-of-sight at all times so I can make sure she's not getting eaten/humped by a coyote or something - or wandering onto the home shooting range while I'm using it.

After the first few weeks she learned how far she can go before the collar gives a warning beep, and now she tends to respect that even without the collar on. I seldom use it anymore unless I'm too busy to pay attention to what she's doing, like when I'm casting slugs or working on the roof. This has been our routine for about six months now.

I consider it well worth the investment, even for occasional use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be a few weeks late and you may have found a solution but I purchased Extreme Dog Fence for our Lab. I have 4 acre property and the HOA doesnt allow for any fences. I rented a cable trencher from Home Depot and buried the cable in an afternoon. I also needed a concrete blade for my saw. The blade was needed to deepen and widen an expansion joint in my driveway to run the cable across. Filled it in with some outdoor caulk.

System comes with everything you need.

Amazon Product
  • 🎖? Improved: The 2nd Generation eXtreme Dog Fence STANDARD GRADE Kit Covers Up to 6 Acres. The Updated Electronics are Designed for Compatibility with New Collar Options. 3 Antennas, 12x Battery Check, +More
  • 🎖? Waterproof and Submersible: Most Other Inground Dog Fence Systems Claim to be "Water Resistant". The eXtreme Dog Fence Includes a Collar Receiver that is COMPLETELY Waterproof, and Can be Submerged up to 10' Deep. Your Dog Can Swim with the Collar on and Won't Affect it's Functionality
  • 🎖? Standard Fence Kit Includes: 20 Gauge High Tensile Boundary Wire with Heavy Protective Jacket, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Training Flags and Splice Kits

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top