Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2019 3:54:50 PM EDT
We're planning a 5 day trip to the keys in August. I would like to get a guided fishing trip BUT I'm kicking around the idea of not getting a guide so that I can spend some money and get a nice fish finder for my kayak, (FeelFree Lure 13.5).
Of course if I go do the keys I absolutely HAVE to fish somewhere so I'm planning on taking my fly rod and seeing if I can hit the beach early a couple of mornings or evenings. Any one know of walk up places to fish with a fly rod down that way?

Also, suggestions on places to stay would be good too. Family of four. Me, wife, and 2 daughters, (19 and 11). I've been looking at places in Key Largo, Key West, and Marathon. All about the same price and we're open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in islamorada back in march, there was some access to the inlets around the bridges, some spots on the road had places to park
but very limited space to cast, I wouldn't wade anywhere, too many big f'in sharks everywhere .
best bet would be to charter a few flats boats, lots of fish to catch but mostly a big run from land, most spots we fished were 5-20 miles from islamorada, definitely worth doing a couple of charters, the fishing was great in the bay.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
None that I saw when I visited in March. I had aguide for 2 days and it was awesome. Tons of variety and shots.

Headed back down to fish Miami peacocks/Key West permit/mosquito lagoon redfish on a week Florida trip in a few weeks, have a guide for 3 days in key west for it and targeting primarily permit
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Google DYI bonefishing Florida Keys.
Plenty of videos and articles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#4]
A client of mine was an airline flight instructor. He used to tell me about stay in Miami airport hotels and catching baby tarpon in canals behind them. That was many, many moons ago but would be fun if you could figure that gig out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A client of mine was an airline flight instructor. He used to tell me about stay in Miami airport hotels and catching baby tarpon in canals behind them. That was many, many moons ago but would be fun if you could figure that gig out.
View Quote
Tons of peacocks in those canals. Awesome pretty fish to catch
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Across the street (ocean side) from the gas station on Islamorada is one bonefish option.

Off the baseball fields in Marathon, ocean side, is an option (bonefish and tarpon, maybe other stuff but I've caught both of those on foot there).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top