Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2018 10:31:40 AM EDT
Not so much to question that particular pistol, but the theory in general for kit pack out.  I understand the practicality of a folding rifle.  Definitely easier to pack, but the pistol thing has me thinking it is an answer in search of a question.  I have never had trouble fitting a pistol into my pack.

Gimmicky (is that a word?), doesn't really take up any less space, just shaped differently, and one more action that would be needed to put it into action.  The Exhibitor is selling it as something you can keep folded in your pocket and when need be, remove from pocket and snap it open to put into action.  I have not trained much, but in the 8 or 10 classes I have taken, I have seen multiple people (me included) who made a mistake with a safety, dropped a mag by pushing the wrong button, etc, etc.  Looks cool when you pull from your pocket, snap it open and have a gun, but maybe I am too old school.  I would prefer two motions....draw weapon, drop safety (if it has one).  In the case of the Glock, draw weapon.   This is not even considering the pocket lint, chapstick, and just general crap that the action is exposed to while it is open in your pocket.

Anyone see a great application for this gun that I am missing?

Doc
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
A stock on a pistol makes it an SBR which in a lot of situations could be more useful than a pistol mainly in accuracy more so with a RMR on it.
But I don't want or need one.
Also dedicate a pocket for carry with a pocket holster and keep it clean! Nothing goes in my carry pocket but a weapon.
IMO
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If im going to tote anything that folds it will be a rifle
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
No pictures of this folding pistol from the OP.
I'm guessing the below pictures are what he meant.

If the below picture is what the OP meant i see no real
value in that folding pistol.

Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It would ad another step if you can’t carry it chambered. Maybe you can though. I would not have any use for one either way
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
That leaves things open for dirt and pocket lint to get into.  If I am going to have it sealed in a bag in the backpack, does not matter if it folds.

I am not going to carry something in my pocket and expect to use it for self defense if I have to fold it out.  I equate having to fold this into firing position as being similar to carrying with an empty chamber.  The chances of something going wrong go up when you do stuff like this.  So don't do stuff like this.

I kinda like how it makes it a nice rectangle so no gun shape to print, but if you cut the grip down on your 19 to 26 size you can get close to the rectangle shape and just add something to the holster like a wadded up rag or something to square off the shape or something.

I agree on nothing else should be in the pocket.  I like a pocket holster as well.  I prefer fewer openings, the s&w snubbies come in many flavors and I like the one with only the trigger opening in the frame, no need for an exposed hammer or hammer nub for me on my snubby.  I consider the snubby an "oops he is close" sorta thing.

Me being the size I am, I sorta wonder if I put that in my back pocket and sat on it if it would bend anything?  I can sit on a glock 26 or 19, takes a huge back pocket though, and other than me being uncomfortable I don't have a concern one about the gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a sales gimmick maybe? O can't think of why I would need one... Hiding it somewhere maybe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone can get actual measurements.  To me it looks like a glock 26 is about the same height.  Sure the folded 19 has a longer barrel but I am more likely to buy a used 19 or 17 and cut the grip than mess with a folding gun.  It just seems to introduce potential problems and my first thought on something like that is a ccw, I want a ccw to be reliable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Palmetto State armory has/had one at one of their stores (maybe other stores too, I don't know).  As noted, it's not really that compact- I'd rather have a G26 or other smaller, assembled handgun vs. a folded G19.  I can't see any point in it, especially when you could buy two regular Glocks for the price, or one Glock and a bunch of accessories.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
It makes as no sense to me.

“Hold on a second while I put my gun together!”

The size of the pistol isn’t really the factor in concealment. The thickness of the pistol is.

This is just as thick as a non folding pistol.

Is solved a nonexistent problem.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Using that pic, the length, width, and height don't appear to change much.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I see no practical reason to add more potential fail points to a defensive handgun.  It should be as simple and reliable as possible.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I will at least say I can appreciate the innovation for the idea, but it’s really a niche-application that I can’t really even support for necessity.  I guess it would be helpful to those who can legally carry in a very socially non-permissive environment where one’s attire just won’t work for concealing a handgun (again, I have a hard time convincing myself of that also).  Again, a very innovative idea, but I really find it hard to imagine an application where other (much less expensive) alternatives aren’t just as easy to apply.  There is no size reduction, just a change of shape when placed in a pocket or small notebook-sized case.  Cool idea, but a minor advantage for very niche applications…

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it’s a poor choice of a place to spend on R&D. Should have looked more into making a glockbranded reflex sight that fits in the rear sight post so all these folks don’t send it to be milled.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a great way to separate you from your money and introduce failure points all in one shot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Complete waste of time and money creating a solution for a problem nobody had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top