Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2022 12:41:37 AM EDT
Just tested my new rig for the first time after outfitting it. It is a Pelican Catch Power 100 with a Newport 55 thrust kayak trolling motor. I can’t wait to get this guy out for some fishing time.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If you take a 6 to. 8 inch piece of PVC pipe and tie it in a loop of rope secured to the kayak so it would hang down in the water it acts as a step to get back onto the Kayak if you fall off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine looks like this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]
my buddy in Venice, FL uses kayaks for fishing. He's got two Hobie's. In january 2020 I went out with him, I capsized in 3 feet of water. That's where I learned that waterproof Motorola radios are very important when Kayak fishing

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to add, tether everything to the boat, except the radio, it gets tethered to your vest.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Not completely rigged out
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Cayman 124 fishing kayak.  Very stable and weighs in at an even 50 lbs.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Sitting out front of the garage drying out the day after a fishing trip.  Don't remember where we went.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I've owned five over the last ten years. Own two currently, but my favorite is this one. Perception Pescadore Pro 120. Fairly light compared to other fishing kayaks and not as expensive as many. Tracks well and still maneuverable in rushing water. I've used it in skinny creeks, rivers, lakes and the Gulf.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I forgot to add, tether everything to the boat, except the radio, it gets tethered to your vest.
View Quote

And if you're going to be in high wind or current situations it's not a bad idea to tether the kayak to you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Me and the Mrs about 15 years ago in 12' Native Manta Rays. Fished all over Tampa Bay with them.

Do you have a stakeout pole yet? If not, find a one piece aluminum walking stick that will fit thru the cupper holes.

Nice looking rig, enjoy!Attachment Attached File

Beware these guys, they like using kayaks as scratching posts. This one had her anchor rope on its leg.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Have a couple. Started in an Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game 2, now I'm using a Hobie Pro Angler 12. The pedals are great for what I generally do in a yak. Might put a torqeedo on it. We'll see. Still have the BG2, it's now my backup/loaner. Can't wait for my shoulder to heal enough that I can get back on the water.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a few.  I keep a couple at the farm that's 1.5 hours away, and three at home for when me and both boys go kayaking.  

I have an old Wilderness Tarpon 10' that's seen a few owners, but it's still a great boat.  My son bought his first with money he earned working at age 13- It's a Heritage from Academy.

After my son started kayak fishing A LOT I found a great deal on a truck load of Jackson Cruises on Marketplace.  I made a deal with the owner to buy all 4- resold 2 of them- and have only a couple hundred a piece in the two 12' Cruise I still have.

Then found another deal for a Vibe Yellowfin 10' about 2 years ago for my youngest boy.  

We've recreational paddled in them a bunch, caught largemouth, smallmouth, trout, and crappie.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Fishing from a kayak … Just FYI, I have a Perception Outlaw. It’s about 12’ and is explicitly advertised and sold as a fishing ‘yak.

We live near a large river and last summer I quickly discovered that trying to fish from a 12’ yak in constantly moving water is a PITA. You need about five arms and hands to control it and still do any fishing.  A big-ass anchor helps keep the craft stationary for casting but not directionally. The Outlaw is a long heavy ‘yak which (in theory) should track well and it’s not bad if your hands and arms are occupied with paddling or steering and not casting or reeling-in.  On the other hand, all the near-constant paddling action while trying to propel and maneuver the Outlaw in the currents of a large flowing river is actually good cardio exercise.

Unless you will be doing 99.9% of your fishing on a still lake or large pond, or maybe a slow-moving creek, a motorized kayak (trolling motor) is the way to go if you want spend your on-the-water time fishing rather than fighting to control the movement or position of the kayak.

The size and geometry of the rear area of a Perception Outlaw is actually designed for installing a transom mount to attach a trolling motor, so that’s what I’m currently working on this month before I put it back in the water.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fishing from a kayak … Just FYI, I have a Perception Outlaw. It’s about 12’ and is explicitly advertised and sold as a fishing ‘yak.

We live near a large river and last summer I quickly discovered that trying to fish from a 12’ yak in constantly moving water is a PITA. You need about five arms and hands to control it and still do any fishing.  A big-ass anchor helps keep the craft stationary for casting but not directionally. The Outlaw is a long heavy ‘yak which (in theory) should track well and it’s not bad if your hands and arms are occupied with paddling or steering and not casting or reeling-in.  On the other hand, all the near-constant paddling action while trying to propel and maneuver the Outlaw in the currents of a large flowing river is actually good cardio exercise.

Unless you will be doing 99.9% of your fishing on a still lake or large pond, or maybe a slow-moving creek, a motorized kayak (trolling motor) is the way to go if you want spend your on-the-water time fishing rather than fighting to control the movement or position of the kayak.

The size and geometry of the rear area of a Perception Outlaw is actually designed for installing a transom mount for attach a trolling motor, so that’s what I’m currently working on this month before I put it back in the water.
View Quote

The Outlaw was designed for the majority of casual kayak fishers i.e lake bass fisherman who want stability more than anything else. It's hull shape was designed for that at a hefty sacrifice to efficiency and tracking. I really don't think Perception had paddling in mind at all and assumed most of them would be powered by a trolling motor. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't do their research, and think stability is the most important thing and buy them and complain about how much they suck because they don't understand what it was designed for.

It's honestly worse than buying a cheap kayak to try it out and then deciding kayak fishing isn't for you based off that cheap, poorly designed kayak was a big limiting factor. So while the Outlaw is easy to find in stock at academy and other box stores, and is still at the low end of the market price-wise, it's more expensive than the cheap kayaks and requires further investment for a trolling motor to really enjoy the kayak the way it was intended.

I think most people should probably start with something like a pescador pro in either 10 or 12 ft models. It's available as the same large retailers, for about the same price, and is much better for paddling in lakes, rivers, or inshore saltwater. Alternatively, another universally good boat that's easy to upgrade as you grow as a fisherman is the nucanoe flint.

Regardless of kayak model, anchors and/or stakeout poles are a must for fishing. They don't need to be heavy. 3 lbs will do just fine in most conditions. Hell, a lot of river fisherman don't even use an anchor and use a drag chain instead. Everyone wants to get a trolling motor or a fishfinder as their first upgrade, when they should get an anchor on day one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Outlaw was designed for the majority of casual kayak fishers i.e lake bass fisherman who want stability more than anything else. It's hull shape was designed for that at a hefty sacrifice to efficiency and tracking. I really don't think Perception had paddling in mind at all and assumed most of them would be powered by a trolling motor. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't do their research, and think stability is the most important thing and buy them and complain about how much they suck because they don't understand what it was designed for.

It's honestly worse than buying a cheap kayak to try it out and then deciding kayak fishing isn't for you based off that cheap, poorly designed kayak was a big limiting factor. So while the Outlaw is easy to find in stock at academy and other box stores, and is still at the low end of the market price-wise, it's more expensive than the cheap kayaks and requires further investment for a trolling motor to really enjoy the kayak the way it was intended.

I think most people should probably start with something like a pescador pro in either 10 or 12 ft models. It's available as the same large retailers, for about the same price, and is much better for paddling in lakes, rivers, or inshore saltwater. Alternatively, another universally good boat that's easy to upgrade as you grow as a fisherman is the nucanoe flint.

Regardless of kayak model, anchors and/or stakeout poles are a must for fishing. They don't need to be heavy. 3 lbs will do just fine in most conditions. Hell, a lot of river fisherman don't even use an anchor and use a drag chain instead. Everyone wants to get a trolling motor or a fishfinder as their first upgrade, when they should get an anchor on day one.
View Quote
See, in all my years of kayak fishing, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used an anchor or stakeout pole. A good sonar is worth much more to me than an anchor. But, that's also a product of how I fish. I do a lot of drifting for fluke (flounder) and fishing up against rock jetties in the ocean where an anchor can kill you. But again, I'm not the normal case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top