Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 2:08:53 PM EDT
I was approached by family to help everyone finally get their shit together and start their own prepping.
I have done my own for the past 15 years but I was flying blind.

Does anyone have a list for 1 year per person food storage?  The LDS one is lacking in my opinion.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
bad URL sorry

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Lol I have more meat and veggies then all three suggest

I will start working more on fats and grains
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS) (Mormons)  are the experts on food storage.  If you do a search online you can find a toon of calculations and list for food storage as well as places to buy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy and store what you eat, rotate stock when you buy more. It doesn't get any simpler that. If you don't eat green beans, don't buy a bunch of canned green beans. If you eat a shit load of Hormel chili, but a lot of that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was approached by family to help everyone finally get their shit together and start their own prepping.
I have done my own for the past 15 years but I was flying blind.

Does anyone have a list for 1 year per person food storage?  The LDS one is lacking in my opinion.

View Quote

You would be, just about, the only person on the planet with that opinion.. when it comes to prep and storage, they are pretty much considered the gurus.. Remember they have their system/plan/advice set up in stages.. basics, then fill out.. So make sure you are looking through or finding, their whole guide, and not just the "what to do and get first" guide..
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You would be, just about, the only person on the planet with that opinion.. when it comes to prep and storage, they are pretty much considered the gurus.. Remember they have their system/plan/advice set up in stages.. basics, then fill out.. So make sure you are looking through or finding, their whole guide, and not just the "what to do and get first" guide..
View Quote

That is what I meant.  It is basically rice, grain, milk, legumes, honey and oil.  By lacking I meant it is not very diverse.
These items for a year would make you go insane.  There are no proteins, no MRE, no freeze dried fruits.  That is more of what I meant by lacking.

I haven't seen the stage set up, only the basic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is what I meant.  It is basically rice, grain, milk, legumes, honey and oil.  By lacking I meant it is not very diverse.
These items for a year would make you go insane.  There are no proteins, no MRE, no freeze dried fruits.  That is more of what I meant by lacking.

I haven't seen the stage set up, only the basic.
View Quote

Rice and beans.. make a complete protein.. TVP.. keeps forever near as I can tell.. I am not a great fan, but have chicken, beef, and pork "crumbles" on the shelf.. will be fine to augment with. We also can a deer or two every year.

Wheat makes bread/rolls/tortillas/etc etc..

The plan is, to first be prepared, THEN, be comfortable. If you go to their (LDS) online store, you can see the basics, and then the fill ins and add-ons.. availability right now.. I can't say.
But we have fruits, berries, onions, peppers, taters, egg powder, milk powder, cheeses, butters, corn, etc, etc, in #10 cans, from them, all ordered online. We are not LDS.

But.. back in the day, 25 years ago, we started with.. Honey, oil/fats, wheat, rice, and beans. Started our journey to self reliance when we realized how bad slimy white slice is for you.. Started grinding our own wheat and making bread.. Just that decision started us to where we are now.. and on that note.. buy a GOOD mill from the start, the "cry once buy once" phrase is a solid bit of advice when it comes to a grain mill.

BTW, stored properly, fats last a lot longer then the label says. BUT the key to ALL of it is, rotate and use.

and don't forget, paper goods, soaps, etc etc all fall in this category at some point.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Rice, various dry beans/peas/lentils etc, Flour(be aware of flour moth eggs. Best to freeze flour a while before storage or just consider them protein.) Sugar. Honey
Start with these dry basics. They last forever. Add other dry foods of your preference.
Next canned goods other than tomato products and acidic fruits. They last a good ten years at least.
Last is acidic foods that don't last a long time/corrode the cans etc.

As said above, store what you will eat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The LDS one is designed as the basics for maintaining life and as a foundation.  I am a member and have been using the canneries as we called them for storage for years.  Over time the variety has shrunk to focus on basics and also die to government interference in operations.  It has just become more expedient this way and more streamlined.

We use to be able to go and can our own stuff with no. 10 cans or mylar bags and bring our own items to can, would have canning parties.  The government put increasing regs in making it more difficult so that the whole thing has shrunk.  Use it for acquiring the basics and then customize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top