Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2022 2:55:06 PM EDT
Looking for easy on the move protein with zero to no carbs.  Really looking for MRE type meals.  I cant stand the smell of the foil packets of tuna or chicken.  Just wondering if anyone has seen other options.

I know there is canned meat
I know there is foil packets of tuna and chicken

Anything I am missing?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
There are MREs that are just a chicken breast.

You're better off with canned chicken. The breasts are very dry even though packed with a bit of water and
are marginally edible.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Next Mile Meals has some KETO freeze dried style stuff, as far as true MRE meals, never seen anything low carb.
You might get some entrees alone that will work for you as mentioned by previous poster.
Also, Mountain House scrambled eggs/ bacon is sort of low carb (12g), but that's the only one I found.

You might look into Sardines and stuff like that if you want no carbs, better than foil packed tuna etc. IME.
Maybe someone else will have more ideas.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't found it...
Canned meat is the best I have found.
I about to buy a freeze dryer and start making my own protein packs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Jerky?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I was going to say Next Mile as well. They are pretty expensive for what they are, but not going off Keto and feeling like crap is worth that alone for me. I am grateful that these exist.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jerky?
View Quote

Most all of the commercial jerkies are super high in sugar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Canned meats guy checking in.

Also in for some opinions and options.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I will say that MRE chicken breast has far superior flavor and texture to canned chicken.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Found this quite a few places locally, or you can order from Amazon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
rabbits would fit the bill here.  Easy enough to secure when afield.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
rabbits would fit the bill here.  Easy enough to secure when afield.
View Quote

Two bad things about rabbits...
1. No fat...fat=calories=life.
2. Tularemia is a concern for a large portion of the year. This risk can be mitigated obviously, but it is worth mentioning.

I love eating rabbit but wait to harvest them until after the first freeze - obviously not a consideration in a true survival scenario.

Canned meat guy here too...Spam or generic equivalent for the fats/salts
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18550/814B2589-8F4D-4833-A108-61FBD83092FB_jpe-2395179.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18550/814B2589-8F4D-4833-A108-61FBD83092FB_jpe-2395179.JPG

This is what snack on.

No sugar, no flavoring.  Its very good.  I can get it at walmart.

Beef Biltong is another protein-dense food with no carbs.  Basically freeze dried steak slices.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't 25 year shelf life, but Keto Brick.
View Quote

Only about six months.
I now keep them in the deep freezer.
I don't know what they put in them that causes them to go off so quickly but the are good for baiting traps for skunks and coons.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m buying a pressure canner to DIY. I figured I’d do a shit ton of ground beef/pulled chicken. Nothing else is as cheap or long lasting.

We’re also keto and fat/protein is harder to store long term than carbs.

I have heard Trader Joe’s has shelf stable heavy cream. Gonna buy some of that too when I can.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Placed an order for the backpacking meals and the brick to try out,

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#17]
there's also shelf stable heavy whipping cream sold by Trader Joes. Anybody familiar with it? seems like a good way to stock fat/protein. And I imagine if you froze it, the ~6 month count down is probably longer and wouldn't start till thawed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Jerky.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
there's also shelf stable heavy whipping cream sold by Trader Joes. Anybody familiar with it? seems like a good way to stock fat/protein. And I imagine if you froze it, the ~6 month count down is probably longer and wouldn't start till thawed.
View Quote

Huh, that's a new one.  Please update if you grab one of these to sample!  I've got some heavy cream powder that works pretty well, but this seems like a great option to have on the shelf as a shorter to mid-term prep, especially since I use a lot of heavy cream for coffee and cooking.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Huh, that's a new one.  Please update if you grab one of these to sample!  I've got some heavy cream powder that works pretty well, but this seems like a great option to have on the shelf as a shorter to mid-term prep, especially since I use a lot of heavy cream for coffee and cooking.
View Quote

@corruptor where did you get the powder? I'm going to buy some of this tomorrow (hopefully) and see how it goes. We have a whipped cream maker, soda stream (CO2 dispenser things) and a counter top ice maker. I told my wife we'd be the only people in town eating chocolate mousse and chasing it with cold vodka tonics during the pending apocalypses
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@corruptor where did you get the powder? I'm going to buy some of this tomorrow (hopefully) and see how it goes. We have a whipped cream maker, soda stream (CO2 dispenser things) and a counter top ice maker. I told my wife we'd be the only people in town eating chocolate mousse and chasing it with cold vodka tonics during the pending apocalypses
View Quote

@steviesterno16

Amazon.  It's not really packaged for long term, but I doubt it'll last that long due to the high fat content so I guess it doesn't really matter.  Freezing might help with this as well, but that's not something I've tried.

Judee's Heavy Cream Powder

That particular brand gets consistently good reviews for most of their products.  I've also purchased their egg powder, and it's as good or better than any other I've tried.  As with the cream powder, the package was just plastic and not a Mylar pouch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@steviesterno16

Amazon.  It's not really packaged for long term, but I doubt it'll last that long due to the high fat content so I guess it doesn't really matter.  Freezing might help with this as well, but that's not something I've tried.

Judee's Heavy Cream Powder

That particular brand gets consistently good reviews for most of their products.  I've also purchased their egg powder, and it's as good or better than any other I've tried.  As with the cream powder, the package was just plastic and not a Mylar pouch.
View Quote

@corruptor thanks for that. the Trader Joe's versions are like ~$2 for 8 ounces, which is almost cheaper than regular cream around here. I'll buy a bunch and experiment. One hope is that I can freeze them solid, then the 6 months shelf life only starts once they thaw. If so it would be a good way to make them last as long as possible. Not sure how to test, my microbiology days are behind me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@corruptor thanks for that. the Trader Joe's versions are like ~$2 for 8 ounces, which is almost cheaper than regular cream around here. I'll buy a bunch and experiment. One hope is that I can freeze them solid, then the 6 months shelf life only starts once they thaw. If so it would be a good way to make them last as long as possible. Not sure how to test, my microbiology days are behind me.
View Quote

Hopefully you'll know by the smell...

If the containers have a mylar interior I imagine you'll be fine, at least as far as not picking up smells from other items in the freezer.

My brother runs a restaurant on a tourist island, and every year freezes a bunch of milk before everything shuts down.  It's not the best example, but it works for one winter and I imagine it would be fine for a couple of years with packages like that.

Also, make sure you test the unfrozen shelf life.  I'm betting it's twice that of what's listed on the container if not more.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hopefully you'll know by the smell...

If the containers have a mylar interior I imagine you'll be fine, at least as far as not picking up smells from other items in the freezer.

My brother runs a restaurant on a tourist island, and every year freezes a bunch of milk before everything shuts down.  It's not the best example, but it works for one winter and I imagine it would be fine for a couple of years with packages like that.

Also, make sure you test the unfrozen shelf life.  I'm betting it's twice that of what's listed on the container if not more.
View Quote

@corruptor thanks for that. I could also mylar or vac seal but that seems like a bit much. I'll buy a few and date them and see how it goes longer term.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jerky?

Attachment Attached File

Zero carb jerky
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top